First Mini

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Hazy

Re: First Mini

Post by Hazy »

I've enjoyed reading the responses to this thread.
Davy wrote:I have quite a few minis and wear them exclusively (when I wear skirts) in the summer. They definitely are great fun and are much cooler than longer skirts.
I relate to Davy's comment. I love wearing my short skirts in the warm weather.

Hazy
Davy

Post by Davy »

I have taken to wearing only minis in the summer, so I now have a bit of a problem. There is an event next month that I intend to go to in a skirt, but a short mini would really not be appropriate, and there will be many people I know there, so I actually do care what people think. In checking through my wardrobe, it seems that I don't have anything light-weight that is long enough. So I am going to have to lengthen one of the skirts that I had shortened previously. Not a problem, as I have a few I just altered with safety pins, not permanently. But I suppose this is a hazard of trying to see how short I could make all the skirts I have bought.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Davy wrote:I have taken to wearing only minis in the summer, so I now have a bit of a problem. There is an event next month that I intend to go to in a skirt, but a short mini would really not be appropriate, and there will be many people I know there, so I actually do care what people think.
This is why it's worthwhile to have a variety of lengths -- and styles -- on hand. It will allow you to tailor your look to whatever may be tossed your way and, face it, minis are really only appropriate for very casual settings. Think of minis as the skirted version of shorts -- one wouldn't wear shorts to a symphony, now would one? (And don't get me going on jeans!)

You have a few weeks' warning; my advice would be to find something in the knee-length or slightly longer range that would work better. If you're Northern Hemisphere, it's too warm for long at the moment, but something falling on the knee or the calf ought to be good, especially if it's worn with something appropriate up top. Recall that longer skirts can be surpringly light and airy; one doesn't need to "let it all hang out" to be comfortable in the heat.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

<snip>. If you're Northern Hemisphere, it's too warm for long at the moment, <snip>

I am pretty sure I am in the Northern hemisphere, warm? Warm! If only!

Now looking for a waterproof skirt! to go over something long and warm, sailing oilskins don't work too well with skirts!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Too right, B&B. It's typical midsummer oilies & overcoats, being the dress code for these parts. I honestly think it's even worse than last year, and that's saying something. I'm getting E-mails from my friend on Skye, who complains that she can't get out into her garden for any length of time and the wet hasn't stopped the midges!

Today I walked my dogs dressed for March weather.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:I am pretty sure I am in the Northern hemisphere, warm? Warm! If only!

Now looking for a waterproof skirt! to go over something long and warm, sailing oilskins don't work too well with skirts!
Kirbstone wrote:Today I walked my dogs dressed for March weather.
Well, I stand corrected.

However, here it's been in the upper 80s or lower 90s for two weeks straight and I'm grumbling because I'm too reticent to wear my minis to work and by the time I get back from the drive home I'm too uncomfortable to think about anything.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Kirbstone wrote: Today I walked my dogs dressed for March weather.

T.
You dress your dogs?
Just make sure to challenge gender 'norms' when you dress them. :)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Sorry, P., I'll rephrase that: Today I had to dress up like for Feb/March in order to take my dogs for a walk.

T.
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

Big and Bashful wrote:<snip>. If you're Northern Hemisphere, it's too warm for long at the moment, <snip>

I am pretty sure I am in the Northern hemisphere, warm? Warm! If only!

Have a look at thesehttp://www.rainskirts.com/products
I bought one to go over my kilts and they work really well :D
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Kirbstone wrote:
Today I walked my dogs dressed for March weather.
And there was me off at a tangent same as pleated...

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Rainskirts go up to 40" waist, I find 44" quite tight at the moment. With the reputation the United of States has for having many corpulent or even portly people I think it strange that they don't make larger. I will try and contact them and see if they can do specials for the more bloated Brit!

I have found this: http://www.georgiaindublin.com/products/the-rain-wrap/ and am toying with the idea of trying one.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

That little Scots Terrier in the kilt outfit is a hoot!, SkT. Yes, 'The Newsquiz' team on BBC Radio 4 come up with lots of amusung snippits from papers which have an alternative meaning.
B&B, You're a Big Boy , with a 44" girth!

T.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Aha! Rainskirts have replied and do a size 6 which is 44 to 46" waist. Excellent!
Today I went for a motor then a motor-sail in my boat, (not much wind today, well not at first). I started out wearing my medium Macabi but as I was expecting cool conditions I took a 40 or 41" long khaki skirt in case I got cold or needed something dry (Rain was forecast).
A video will shortly be hitting YouTube of the voyage from Rosneath to Arrochar. One reason for motoring was so I could film the trip, speed it up and then show people a quick trip up a very scenic loch.
Anyway:
On the way back the light breeze suddenly swung right round and turned into a fairly vicious Northerly as I was heading homewards. I got the boat back to the mooring and squared away, changed into the longer skirt for the wet trip ashore in the tender.
Very wet, and had a problem with a rope (The painter) getting washed into the water and around the prop just to liven things up.
Once ashore I found that a long heavy skirt soaked in salt water doesn't half cling and weighs a ton. Salt water really makes things stick to you, every bit as bad as soaking wet jeans, well almost!
Still a great day, now to start manipulating video...
Oh no skirts in the video, just a loch, I was going to film the skirted me on the way back but it's a long loch (Called Loch Long by the way) and I had used both camcorder batteries by the time I got to Arrochar, so the skirts will have to wait for another time. Ooh I am ever so caked in salt! a crunchy face!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A great account of an interesting day and I look forward to seeing the World Premiere. It strikes me, B&B that you need a marina birth and a couple of paid servants to do your bidding. Then you wouldn't need to complain about a salt-water-laden skirt weighing a ton!

T.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Big and Bashful wrote:Rainskirts go up to 40" waist, I find 44" quite tight at the moment. With the reputation the United of States has for having many corpulent or even portly people I think it strange that they don't make larger. I will try and contact them and see if they can do specials for the more bloated Brit!
Yeah tell them "Omar the Tent Maker" sent you !

I just wish the clothing manufacturers would stop using Chinese mannequins and think about using Japanese sumo models then the sizing would be more realistic ! LOL

"Certainly-An-Issue-Of-Size"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !