Makeup

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Makeup

Post by ChrisM »

A quick Google search for French articles on men's make-up confirms the existence. It does appear to be still a minority of men, and they lead off with some responses to 'the prejudices', but it's a movement nonetheless.

Here are the two articles I found:

http://www.masculin.com/style/101-maquillage/
http://www.masculin.com/style/104-maquillage-produits/

Chris
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

Yeh, one comment of "woman... or clown" made me really trust that site.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

I've started to wear eyeliner & massacre, I can get away with being as I'm pretty goth in appearance
luvtoskirt

Post by luvtoskirt »

I wonder if a 47 year old guy can get away with a bit of mascra and eyeliner. Somehow i can't imagine so.

:(
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

luvtoskirt wrote:I wonder if a 47 year old guy can get away with a bit of mascra and eyeliner. Somehow i can't imagine so.
It depends on the desired look and the millieu. After all, the ancient Egyptians used eye-makeup to decent effect, and in slightly more modern times false eyelashes were very effectively used in a rather disturbing piece of cinema in the late 1960s.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Ziggy said: I've started to wear eyeliner & massacre, I can get away with being as I'm pretty goth in appearance
I can imagine you using massacre :shaking2: on your face. In America in the century before last an American General named George Armstrong Custer died with his 211 troops at the Little Big Horn river at the hands of 2,000 Sioux Indians. He was using eyeliner, had long blond hair, a fancy uniform and was "massacred" with all his men. He was also using mascara, :shaking2: a man truly long before his time. I'm bringing you this snippet of American History to underline the difference between "massacre" :shaking2: and "mascara". If you massacred :shaking2: your face, you wouldn't have any face left.
This post is written in humor, maybe in England mascara is called massacre, and can be so with incorrect application. :shaking2: The posts here are getting so rare I thought I'd add some humor to the site. :alien: :shaking2: :rock:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Now that halloween is over !
Well it is a good thing that eyeliner is not misread/misinterpreted or misspelled. Hate to think what
effect that would have on the mascara. Probably would give the impression of a full bloody massacre.
So much for the humor of the moment.
I could just bet that the spell check machine is on the rampage or some kind of holiday.
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

luvtoskirt wrote:I wonder if a 47 year old guy can get away with a bit of mascra and eyeliner. Somehow i can't imagine so.

:(
How old is Peter Steele & boy George?
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

r.m.anderson wrote:Now that halloween is over !
Well it is a good thing that eyeliner is not misread/misinterpreted or misspelled. Hate to think what
effect that would have on the mascara. Probably would give the impression of a full bloody massacre.
So much for the humor of the moment.
I could just bet that the spell check machine is on the rampage or some kind of holiday.
rm
Don't Boeing make eyeliners? like the jumbo jet, or is that hairliners?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Big and Bashful wrote: Don't Boeing make eyeliners? like the jumbo jet, or is that hairliners?
They make quite good hairdryers, if you stand behind one when it's runnin' up its engines'! :D Just remember to move before take off! :oops:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

r.m. said: I could just bet that the spell check machine is on the rampage or some kind of holiday.
Balderdash! I AM the spellcheck machine! :thumright: :thumleft: :ciao: :hide:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Dussent annywun no that Skip is the uffishul spelck massheen? :bom: :P Was that a good mascara of the English language?
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Thanks Sarongman I needed that.
But it is true what Since1982 said that "Balderdash! I AM the spellcheck machine!"
This forum does not have a spell checking device or at least I have not found it.
For that reason I have at my elbow Webster's 11th edition and a few other choice volumes.
It is not too much trouble to look up the correct spelling and use of a word.
We have not come far enough yet to have "Forum Spelling and Grammatical Usage for Dummies".
Even at that the trend now days is for text messaging and the baffling abbreviations.
And then President-elect Obama will not be permitted to use his Blackberry when he takes office;
something to do with security.
I just love it when the Star Trek(ies) tell that lapel pin "Computer do this or that i.e. 'Beam me Up; Scotty'".
Soon the forum and its' written/printed word format will be history.
So enjoy your mad make-up if you can with a straight face at least for now a robot is not applying it.
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

I have a link to Websters on my desktop. So all my spellchecks are checked against Websters. I'm not really all that smart, just a good researcher.

"Baffling abbreviations?" Like "CUat8Oclk" or the conversation between Maw and Paw..Paw: ah dun et 7 painkakes" Maw: Now Paw, ah tole yew its ATE not ET...Paw: OKK Maw, ah dun et ate painkakes...too many antidisestablishmentarianisms for me. :roll: :bow: :clap: :kiltdance: :kiltdance: :red: :shadow: