Screws and Screwdrivers

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Screws and Screwdrivers

Post by Since1982 »

As in items of clothing long considered "fem" but, like skirts, can be used on the male body to accentuate the feel or look of your skirt, like a slip or tights or neat masculine shoes. A screw goes with a screwdriver just as a slip goes with a skirt.
Some look on skirts as part of a look, a piece of a 'costume' for want of a better word. It's true that slips, tights etc. go to complete the outfit,
How about, instead of "costume" using "outfit" instead, both ''costume'' and ''getup'' make me think of something for a party or halloween, where "outfit" is used by males and females to describe the combination of clothing one wears.

Opinions?
Last edited by Since1982 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Screws and Screwdrivers

Post by Big and Bashful »

Well it can be. Some look on skirts as part of a look, a piece of a 'costume' for want of a better word. It's true that slips, tights etc. go to complete the outfit, just as boxers/underpants, socks and shoes complete the trousered look and a tie (Spit!) apparently is supposed to complete the "got a shirt on" look.
It's all a matter of what you feel is right and what you feel comfortable with, or in.

As for screws and screwdrivers? nah! wouldn't be seen dead wearing either!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
SportSkirt

Post by SportSkirt »

When I saw this subject "Screws and Screwdrivers" I thought it was going to be about Utilikilts!
I've never worn a slip, but on a warm day I could certainly see the advantage of wearing one under a kilt as they can get a little prickly.

My Stillwater kilt has a short lining that would do the job if it were a little longer.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Screw and screwdriver cf skirt and slip...

It's a reasonable analogy Skip, provided that you remember that sometimes the correct tool to drive a screw is a "Birmingham screwdriver" (AKA hammer) :D

I have a number of skirts and kilts that I wear regularly but I only use a slip with a few of them. Under my denim kilt and my one denim skirt a slip is essential because I hate the feel of denim on my skin. (In fact I don't wear the denim skirt very often, my main reason for buying it was denim's oft reported invisibility but I've become sufficiently comfortable with skirts made from other fabrics and peoples (non) reaction to them that I don't feel I need that particular comfort blanket any more). I also have a couple of skirts that are near transparent with the sun behind me, so a slip adds an extra degree of modesty when I wear those. I have also elected to add a slip for warmth on occasion, though since I don't really suffer from the cold, I rarely find that necessary.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

i almost always wear a slip. for me they add to the sensual aspect of skirts, the slip-and-slide on my legs.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Gus

Post by Gus »

Milfmog wrote:I have a number of skirts and kilts that I wear regularly but I only use a slip with a few of them. Under my denim kilt and my one denim skirt a slip is essential because I hate the feel of denim on my skin.
Which is exactly why I hate jeans. I have never tried a slip but I think it does make a lot of sense. Just need to find one that doesn't have any lacy trimmings. :oops:
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been set up a statue in honor of a critic."
-Jean Sibelius
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gus wrote:Just need to find [a slip] that doesn't have any lacy trimmings. :oops:
Very plain ones are easy enough to come by, and even if you can't find one in the length required, buy one with the lace and trim it off.

Personally I have two plain ones, one white and one black (for going under different colour skirts), and one longer one that has lace at the hem. The presence of the lace doesn't bother me one whit -- nobody is supposed to see it anyway!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

One use for slips that no one has mentioned:

Slips are good for keeping sweat, etc., off the skirt. Usually, slips are easier to launder than skirts, and if they get stained or yellowed, it doesn't matter, since they aren't supposed to be visible. And if they wear out, it's really easy to make more.

As for lace: one of the uses of lace trim on a slip is to weigh the hem down, so it doesn't climb up. I believe this is more of an issue if you are wearing nylon tights with a nylon slip.

Finally, I've discovered that the material you use makes a difference. I have nylon (half) slips and cotton ones, and both work fine under my skirts, all of which are lined with some sort of polyester. I have a black batiste slip for my wool kilt, and that seems to work out fine. But my Utilikilt is unlined cotton, and the cotton slip I made especially for it (because the Utilikilt is shorter than my skirts) tends to stick to the Utilikilt. I'm going to have to either line the kilt or make a (khaki) polyester or nylon slip for it.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Just need to find one that doesn't have any lacy trimmings.
The lace has a purpose, to keep the slip flat and not rolling up. The lace is stiff and works great to keep the slip acting like it's supposed to. I cut the lace off the first slip I ever bought but after seeing how it acted without that edge, took it off and sewed it on a new skirt as a permanent liner, bought several others in white nylon and black cotton and left the lace on. Have never had a rolling up or wrinkling problem with a slip as long as the lace was on. Just don't let the slip hang down far enough for anyone to see any part of it and you never need to worry about others thoughts on what you wear under your skirt. :hide:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/