NAILS!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

NAILS!

Post by r1g0r »

ok, i know some will have issues with this, but i have maintained acrylic nails most of the time for about 8 years.

i recently let them "grow off", and let my natural nails take a break. they are very poor quality as a normal condition. thin, easily splitting (painfully), and will not grow normally.

i decided yesterday to re-apply acrylics. my old nail tech had changed shops to a place out of my easily-travelled area, so i decided to try a new shop at (of all places?!?) a wal-mart supercenter near me.

the tech was very friendly and didn't have any apparent issues doing acrylics on a man. the nails are now about 1/8" beyond my fingertips, and done in a french manicure.

i'm getting re-acquainted with the added length (typing, getting dressed, manipulating small objects), and i actually enjoy them a lot. my wife is quite supportive of me having them, she knows it doesn't mean anything beyond the fact that i enjoy nails.

i'm not looking for support on this from the forum members, but i'd like to know who else does fun stuff with their nails. whether fingernails or toenails, painting them or other activities.

what do YOU do with your claws?
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: NAILS!

Post by crfriend »

what do YOU do with your claws?
Moi? I bite 'em! Actually, I've been a habitual nail-biter since childhood, which is a shame as I actually have very decent-looking and reasonably healthy nails.... But, my nails seldom extend more than an eighth of an inch back from my fingertips (bit back almost to the quick, but not quite; over the years I've learned where the "pain point" begins).

My parents, bless their hearts, tried all sorts of stuff to make me stop -- all to no avail. The funniest one was when they started "painting" my nails with Tabasco (hot pepper) sauce; to this day I have an affinity for spicy food -- and still bite my nails.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

I would think that any male with well dressed nails, especially longer than usual men's nails and still functions as before would get appraisal and be respected not only for looking good, but for having the substance to despite having to be more careful, still get things done as before, no easy task.

As men generally rough it with most things, longer nails would be associated with idlehood, unless that man involved shows his qualitys and does everything as well as before. ( women may do that same thing with lackuerde and longer nails, but that is probably so normal, we don't even think about it)
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I tend to use my nails as screw drivers and mini pry-bars, so I never really considered painting them. On the other hand I wouldn't mind having a pedicure and having my toenails varnished. :bounce:
Seriously though, wearing a skirt draws attention to the feet, so it makes a lot of sense that they look good.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been set up a statue in honor of a critic."
-Jean Sibelius
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Years ago I worked for a man who had frequent manicures. His nails where short, but the cuticles were well maintained and the nails were buffed to a natural shine.

Overall, it contributed not only to a well groomed look, also gave the impression that this man cared about details.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
01/01/08

Post by 01/01/08 »

Due to my profession my nails are usually broken and or split. Manicures wouldn't help because
there isn't anything to manicure. On rare occasions whin I want nice looking nails I pop open a
a package of Kiss Express-on nails. The glue is allready on the nail, simply press on it takes 5 min.
to put them on. To remove simply soften the glue with warm water and they peel right off. Nothing
like a French manicure to improve the look of one's hands.
clothes have no gender shop both sides of the aisle
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

Gus wrote:I tend to use my nails as screw drivers and mini pry-bars, so I never really considered painting them. On the other hand I wouldn't mind having a pedicure and having my toenails varnished. :bounce:
Seriously though, wearing a skirt draws attention to the feet, so it makes a lot of sense that they look good.
Nice! Speaking as a female admirer of men's nether limbs, I think it's cool that you pay attention to your feet. Your female audience will be appreciative, I'm quite sure.

Cheers,

Inertia