Men Wearing Nail Polish

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men Wearing Nail Polish

Post by dillon »

I have found some of the Sally Hansen polishes are thin enough to give a shimmering tint to toenails without looking like a coat of paint. My favorites are "Lime Lights" and "Peach Daquiri". When I want a bold color I generally opt for one of three opaque shades of red I have.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

True that, Bob. I get the most kilt compliments from women, and not just a few from men, too. Very affirming.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

skirtyscot wrote:Men used to wear swimming costumes which were pretty much like modern women's ones.
Some of us like myself who are well endowed in the chest still need to wear swimsuits that cover the chest.

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
barefoot_kevin

Post by barefoot_kevin »

JohnH wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:Men used to wear swimming costumes which were pretty much like modern women's ones.
Some of us like myself who are well endowed in the chest still need to wear swimsuits that cover the chest.

John
Swimsuits?
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

barefoot_kevin wrote:
JohnH wrote:

John
Swimsuits?
Yes - women's one-piece swimsuits. Or if I would really want to look goofy, a bikini. Fat chance I would wear a bikini.

John
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

barefoot_kevin wrote: Swimsuits?
I oppose swimsuits (putting clothes on to swim is ludicrous), but unfortunately other peoples' opinions differ.
barefoot_kevin

Post by barefoot_kevin »

Jim wrote:
barefoot_kevin wrote: Swimsuits?
I oppose swimsuits (putting clothes on to swim is ludicrous), but unfortunately other peoples' opinions differ.
I agree. Why be encumbered by clothes? We talk about comfort as it applies to skirts, where's the logic in wearing constrictive women's suits? If I am in a situation where I absolutely have to wear a suit, it's gonna be baggy.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Yesterday I tried a nail color called Blue Slate. It was pukey...I couldn't stand it for more than 24 hours. Today I am back to Burgundy, with a metallic glisten.

I wear a short leg Tyr suit (not bikini) to swim, usually. Thirty years ago we could find remote places on the beaches for nude swimming, but those have vanished, and the National Seashores, which used to have a "live and let live" policy, now crack down on nudity out on Ocracoke and Hatteras Islands. Absurd, but beyond my control; I blame the resurgence in religious fundamentalism. Plus there is the risk of sunburn on body parts where it would really hurt, and we also have various fish and things in the water here that occasionally bite... And a jellyfish sting is painful enough without it being you-know-where.

As for our pristine mountain streams, again we have the authorities to contend with, though it is easier to get well out of sight there. Still, the water is cold up there and tends to induce a certain amount of unflattering "shrinkage"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEnKLhi83J8
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Here in the United States we have a fixation on "covering up" and yet for entertainment we can have all the "shoot 'em up" videos and movies that might incite unstable individuals to commit violence. Odd situation.

And yes, it would be wonderful to be able to swim in our birthday suits without being hassled.

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

barefoot_kevin wrote:If I am in a situation where I absolutely have to wear a suit, it's gonna be baggy.
I've not swum for quite a few years, but when I was younger I had the opportunity to wear both form-fitting swimsuits and baggy ones, and I absolutely preferred the form-fitting ones as they create less drag and tend to dry faster. Few things are quite as miserable as having heavy wet baggy stuff around one's body.

That having been said, I always preferred swimming au naturale to any sort of suit, but things have tightened up enough around here that getting caught going for a quick dip in the nude can land one on a sex-offenders list in no time flat.

Actually, the last time I was in the water was in my white miniskirt -- a good six or seven years ago.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I tend to use women's bikini bottoms and thongs. At end of season they are sold off cheap - typically for between one to two pounds. They come in the bright colours I like and no-one has raised any objection yet. Obviously I keep away from tie sides and flowered patterns but a geometric or some such pattern I would consider. There are loads on sale in store and on-line from the major stores for <= £2. I find them comfortable, snug and stretchy and certainly don't look too much different from budgie smugglers.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

JohnH wrote:Here in the United States we have a fixation on "covering up" and yet for entertainment we can have all the "shoot 'em up" videos and movies that might incite unstable individuals to commit violence. Odd situation.

John

A common view of the USA from over here, John. But are you sure you are allowed to express it? :lol:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have a women's skirted lycra swim bottom somewhere, now that I think of it. I will have to put it to use before the summer escapes.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I've worn bikini bottoms, the athletic style, not too revealing, mostly when I couldn't find any men's brief cut swimwear. As you say, choose carefully and no-one is any the wiser. Thongs? I don't think I want to try wearing them other than a Mediterranean beach. I get enough looks around here (Canada) wearing the speedo type briefs anyway. I cannot stand the baggy board short style, you might as well jump into the pool fully dressed. last time I was in the UK the modesty brigade had made inroads there, when I emigrated 20 years ago, briefs were still outnumbering the baggies. Nobody would have thought anything of it, unless you were wearing something in an extremely brief cut. I have no objections personally to swimming nude, but if you are actually doing laps, i.e. exercising, I think I would prefer to keep everything "under control" another reason baggies don't do it for me. Admittedly, the only time I went skinny dipping was for a bit of fun, or relaxing in a hot tub. As for women's one piece swimwear, I could understand some guys finding a use for them, but the sizing assumes that women have shorter torsos, so the fit tends to be overly snug in the vertical direction. I did see some pics of some young male divers using one piece swimwear, I assume because their skinny hips increased the risk of brief style ones coming off when hitting the water!

To get somewhat back on track, when I can get my GF to give me a pedicure, I'm painting my toes, and possibly my fingernails, I have a colour that I like and want to try, Sally Hansen "firefly" it's sort of a green tinted old gold. It is noticeable, but it doesn't scream. I think it will work for me.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I will have to look for that color. Sally Hansen polishes are much to my tastes. Tonight I am watching Doc Martin on PBS and drinking an Old Fashioned, and liking the burgundy of my toenails. Shortly I will go on imvu for a bit of role play, then retire. It was yard work day today, and I am tired.