Men Wearing Nail Polish

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Men Wearing Nail Polish

Post by jamie001 »

I am sure that most of you have heard of OPI Nail Polish. The President of the company Suzi, runs a blog on the site. Please check out:

http://www.suzisbeautyblog.com/

Go to the "For Men" section and you will see the following article:

June 09, 2008
Toe Be or Not Toe Be
Rockers do it. Athletes do it. Even the guy in the next cubicle might do it. We're talking men wearing nail color on their toes -- and you'd be surprised at how popular the trend is. Think if it as "ink" for your toes, guys -- choose from super-bright shades (including blue, green, yellow) and dark tones, especially black (OPI Black Onyx Nail Lacquer is a favorite among the male-nail set). Plus, if your toenails could use a little improvement, Feet by OPI offers Nail Strengthener in Black -- not only does it look hot, it's formulated with liquid nylon to strengthen nails and help them look their best. Maybe it's just one toe, maybe all ten - but isn't it time you strutted your stuff?

I guess that I am ahead of my time. I have been getting pedicures and wearing red and pink nail polish on my toes and wearing open toe sandals for years.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men Wearing Nail Polish

Post by Ray »

I tried it on my fingernails once. That was fun (it was at a party) - aubergine, if I recall.

I've never tried it on toes, and with two toenails missing, I have no intention of doing so.

However, I'm always very supportive and complimentary of those who do.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

The more we know about "our " ( men in skirts) activitys, the "more we know". :roll: :? :P
I think that for many men, It takes time to accept that there are more men who want things which are seen at the moment as "femme", but are continuously becomming ever more popular, and men are comming more out in the open about it. Like nail polish. Nothing femme about it, but men in general don't, and women do. I think that once you are over the initial automatic repulsion of such things, any things seen as femme, now only known as femme, that men ( who dare ) can start to enjoy "making their body up"( Hence "make up" ) I also think that in general men are not prepared to take time in manicuring etc. Although I do think I see a tendancy for more attention to looks. I wonder why black? Possibly not because it is so nice, but to get away with enjoying nail polish, while chosing the most unlikely colour, sort of a protest, to do anything NOT to have the nice colours that women enjoy, for fear of being seen as anything but manly. :? :roll:

We can observe many things, but do we think bejond what we see and ask why?
There is more to "going femme" than meets the eye. And does not in any way mean the wish to Be a woman or look as a woman. In time I hope "femme"" gets it's true meaning.

I think it is very nice to see that people ENJOY their body, and are keeping it in good shape. Showing your bare feet requires a good foot care, which may be tedious, but can be rewarding in having not only healthy feet, but looking good as well.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Black nail polish on toes? Sooo, it looks like you've been run over by a tank or trodden on by a horse? :wink: Tried it once (at the instigation of some of the lassies at work) just for a laugh. And that's exactly what it was - a laugh. Wouldn't have the time, inclination or vanity to do it again, though. From a health point of view, it's supposed to actually benefit nails, so to those who have so much free time on their hands (& feet!), good luck to you!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

jamie001 wrote:I guess that I am ahead of my time. I have been getting pedicures and wearing red and pink nail polish on my toes and wearing open toe sandals for years.
...and I'm just an old stick in the mud :D. Nail polish is not something I have any inclination to try.

I have used clear polish for a while when I had a nail split right down to the bed, Sally Hansen nail repair glue held the sides together and the clear varnish hid the damage to some degree until the nail grew out, but I just can't imagine ever wanting to use the stuff.

Incidentally I could not tell the difference between the Sally Hansen nail repair glue and the standard cyanoacrylate adhesive (that's super glue to most folks) that I buy from an engineering supplies shop, except the price. Sally Hansen about £12 for 5ml, generic cyanoacrylate about £9 for 25ml.

If nail polish floats your boat that's fine by me, but I'll continue to wear skirts with my hairy topped, manky toe-nailed, feet, you know, the kind of feet that belong to an everyday sort of guy...

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

It is certainly not for most men, but that was the case for most men who are now wearing skirts, bet the most would have laughed at the idea, and look at them now. :shock: :? :lol: :lol: 8)
We ( meaning men in skirts) "have" to do nothing. But once "we" get over the first hurdles and can look at new things in a relaxed way, then maybe, just maybe some will find new things interesting.

There is a slow tendency in men's fashion for more attention to one's looks, grooming themselves, not in part to the greater market possibilitys for health and beauty products on the men's market. I think that if men do it conservatively, it could look alright. Just a man neatly groomed, fitting possibly to his way of dress. Definitely not MANLY, but how many men wearing pants are realy MANLY? Is that a biker look, or a worker look?

I am glad that although the site IS NOT a tranny site, :shock: there is discussion about things that would by SOME be seen as very ( too ) femme, and being for trannies only, possibly. I believe we are at the beginning of tapping unknown ( for men) fashion reserves, and thus giving opportunitys, being able to express ourselves much better than the narrow macho men's culture allows.
Last edited by Peter v on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Skirtlover61

Post by Skirtlover61 »

I have been wearing toenail polish for almost a year and have loved every minute of it. I use the feminine colors, bright red and pink. I went out in toenail polish for the first time last summer because I wanted to try something new. I fell in love with it to start with. I got a lot of compliments from women. At that time I did not know that less than a year later that I would be wearing skirts. Skirts and toenail polish are a great combination. The only regret I have is not doing it years ago.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Hi Skirtlover61,

I also wear nail polish on my toes and would never wear open toe sandals without it! I also use the feminine colors like red and pink because I believe that they looks the best and also allow me to express the feminine side of my personality. I get a professional pedicure every two weeks in a local nail salon and have one scheduled for tomorrow. My favorite colors are China Glaze Masai Red and OPI La Paz-itively Hot (Bright Hot Pink). I also get many compliments from women while most men just ignore it. I also agree that toenail polish, women's sandals, and skirts are a great combination and more guys should give it a try. Just because it's a girl thing, we shouldn't be afraid to try it. Many girl things are fun. :D
Skirtlover61 wrote:I have been wearing toenail polish for almost a year and have loved every minute of it. I use the feminine colors, bright red and pink. I went out in toenail polish for the first time last summer because I wanted to try something new. I fell in love with it to start with. I got a lot of compliments from women. At that time I did not know that less than a year later that I would be wearing skirts. Skirts and toenail polish are a great combination. The only regret I have is not doing it years ago.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

OK! I've just got to ask! What, in the name of heaven ( be it, Davis Monthan or Kings Cross Goods!), is 'feminine' about the colours, red and pink? I've just carefully scrutinised my nails, totally, totally unadorned with make-up, to discover that every single one (& I've counted up to twenty!) is two shades of ------------- PINK! :shock: My gawd! I'm feminine! :roll:
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

merlin wrote:OK! I've just got to ask! What, in the name of heaven ( be it, Davis Monthan or Kings Cross Goods!), is 'feminine' about the colours, red and pink? I've just carefully scrutinised my nails, totally, totally unadorned with make-up, to discover that every single one (& I've counted up to twenty!) is two shades of ------------- PINK! :shock: My gawd! I'm feminine! :roll:
Quite right, merlin!
Those nice pink nail beds just mean we have properly oxygenated blood flowing there - a sign of good health! :D
And if you cut yourself you bleed red - a nice masculine red. For centuries, or perhaps millennia, red has been associated with fighting and war, and therefore was a man's color (as was it's milder neighbor, pink).
Oh, how times have changed! :?

Kris
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I suppose one must ask the meta-question here of, "What makes a colour 'masculine' or 'feminine'?"

After all, all colour is is the result of certain specific chemical properties that cause light to be reflected, absorbed, or produced at certain specific wavelengths. It wouldn't seem that there's anything even remotely "masculine" or "feminine" about that.

As far as "associations" go, those come and go according to the whims of various civilisations and cultures and even vary with whatever the "fashion police" are pushing in any given year.

[Mod hat on]

So, let's drop it with labelling things like colours. It's divisive, it's pointless, and it's needless. For that matter, let's drop the notion of labelling things "masculine" or "feminine" period.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

I have painted or had rather my toenails painted a few times when getting a pedicure with my fiancee. The first time was a light blue (I wanted it to be or expected it to be darker) and then it was almost a gloss liquid blue (just a little darker than the first one) and I liked them both. I was also in there talking to some of the women (one older one I remember) telling me that my nails looked really pretty. I took it as a nice complement. Wasn't going to tell her that my nails weren't "pretty", but cool. That would've been a nice slap in the face, almost like well if you can't handle a complement like pretty, then why are you having your nails done? Did she (fiancee) drag you in there?

I was just thinking that this woman was probably very sincere when she complemented me on the nails. Kind of makes me want more female friends and less closed-minded guys.

I was also thinking about getting a new shade I saw at target. Medium blue shade.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

A woman on the street once complimented me on my "cute shorts."
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Bob wrote:A woman on the street once complimented me on my "cute shorts."
Could you elaborate?
Shorts? were you wearing shorts or a skirt at the time? And did it have any bearing on nicely manicured feet?
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

They were shorts, not a skirt. And no nail polish at the time. I was relating to how sometimes fashion-conscious women will compliment you, and how that can feel affirming.