Men Wearing Nail Polish

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Monster Pete

Re: Men Wearing Nail Polish

Post by Monster Pete »

I've recently started painting my toenails various colours (they're currently orange) :D I feel it makes them look neater and it's nice to see a splash of colour. I've had clear polish on my fingernails for the past couple of weeks at work, and no one's said anything though I'm certain people have noticed. Of course, no one sees my feet at work, but I'm not sure how well colours on my fingernails would be accepted though.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I've worn clear nail polish for years now. I find it keeps my nails from cracking and splitting, and they look nice and shiny. I was surprised that a few women noticed my nails. I wouldn't have thought they would pick up such a minor detail.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My mother noticed straight away when I had clear varnish on. I told her that the nails were buffed but I'm sure that she didn't believe me. Not painted any of my nails for a while now.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Sinned wrote:My mother noticed straight away when I had clear varnish on. I told her that the nails were buffed but I'm sure that she didn't believe me.
What made you tell her that? Does she know about your skirt wearing?

Just curious.

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I wasn't as confident about my change in identity then - it's about 5 years ago now. I need to do something with the condition of my nails as they are quite dry before I wear nail varnish again. And yes, she does know about my skirt wearing. I did relate in one thread about telling her. To say it was an anti-climax would be saying something. When I told her she simply said, "Good for you." A discussion ensued.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Angelina

Post by Angelina »

It's really nice to see these kind of conversation on men or women styling because most of us need to know most of things in it, anyway i never thought any men will wear heels or nail polish it's just stupidity nothing else.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

may2014 013.JPG
My toenails are presently a pale lime green. It's polish, not some sort of fungus...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

My nails tend to split/crack during the winter months.

I initially tried clear nail varnish, but as others have mentioned it is shiny and noticeable.

Recently, though, I've tried 'nude' nail varnish from M&S. It really is 'stealthy' - so much so that after nearly a week of wearing it my wife still hadn't noticed (and I had to ask her if she had noticed).

The same is true with lip care during the winter months. Rather than applying lip balm, I've tried experimenting with 'nude' moisturising lipstick from M&S.

Similarly, my wife doesn't notice when I'm wearing such lipstick - even when I ask.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

jamodu wrote:My nails tend to split/crack during the winter months.

I initially tried clear nail varnish, but as others have mentioned it is shiny and noticeable.

Recently, though, I've tried 'nude' nail varnish from M&S. It really is 'stealthy' - so much so that after nearly a week of wearing it my wife still hadn't noticed (and I had to ask her if she had noticed).

The same is true with lip care during the winter months. Rather than applying lip balm, I've tried experimenting with 'nude' moisturising lipstick from M&S.

Similarly, my wife doesn't notice when I'm wearing such lipstick - even when I ask.
I visit my local Nail salon and get a pedicure and have them use my nude color polish and clear over coat that has an anti fungal additive. On occasion I will go the whole makeup route, when done correctly no one seems to notice of is they do they don't say anything just like when I wear a smith.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

I'm going in to my nail salon tomorrow for a mani/pedi. Gel over acrylic for the fingernails, regular polish for the toes.

I've heard through the grapevine that the salon owner picks out new gel colors with me in mind - I like sparkly!
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Zorba,
the painted nails are not for me, I'm just an old "conservative".
I really love the idea that your salon owner picks new colours with you in mind.
May hap, you're a fashion creator, the owner, one smart cooky.
Steve.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

When my daughter (now in her 20s) became a teenager, I gave her a bottle of bright red nail polish. She had a blast painting her fingers and toes, and just because I'm such an accomodating dad who will do anything to make his daughter happy, I joined in the fun and painted my toes ("Don't throw me in that briar patch!") I had been wondering if I would like it, since I really don't like to express myself in any kind of girly way (well, apart from the satin prom gown and lace wedding gown in my closet, but a guy's got to have his hobbies).

Anyhow, I figured what of it? I always wear socks and loafers, never sandals, so it's not like anybody will ever know, right?

Should have known that would be the week my family took a trip to a popular hot spring and got in a public pool. There I was in the men's changing room, putting on my swimsuit and taking off my shoes and socks to reveal ten bright red surprises. Nobody said anything...

As it happens my daughter has a friend from college who may not realize it yet but he's absolutely a brother crossdresser (he thinks it's just "cosplay"). She says he wears a women's one-piece swimsuit to that same public pool and nobody has ever given him grief over it. I admire his courage; the one time I wore one in public -- in the dark, thousands of miles from home -- the sniggering reaction from people who apparently could see me much more clearly in the dark than I realized was more than I was prepared to handle.
Ralph!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Men used to wear swimming costumes which were pretty much like modern women's ones. From there we went on to ever smaller trunks. Then the fashion police ruled that men's naughty bits are too naughty to be seen, even through a layer of fabric, and the baggy swimming shorts came into vogue. It's all just a question of fashion.

I suppose that in a women's swimming costume, because it is held up round the neck it would be somewhat tighter down below than trunks which can let gravity do its work. So your genitals would be rather more clearly outlined and less would be left to the imagination!

It's all part of the current way of thinking which says that it is OK for a woman to display the shape of her body, but a man must hide his away under loose clothing. Cleavages yes, scrotums no! But why? How did this come about?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

When I was very, very, young, whenever we were on holiday at the beach, my mother would dress me in a one-piece girls swimsuit. I didn't know any better, and simply wore what my mother provided. Ah, the years of such innocence.

We were a low-income family then, and whatever was available at the local jumble sale found its way into my wardrobe - although it didn't extent to skirts.
barefoot_kevin

Post by barefoot_kevin »

Being new to this board, it is refreshing to read the comments, specially here.

Not only have I been wearing kilts and skirts for several years, I have been getting pedicures and have worn my toenails polished for even longer than that. I used to just go for the typically "male" colors such as black, silver, and dark blues, but I quickly found them boring. Now my color choices are all over the board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by barefoot_kevin on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:32 am, edited 5 times in total.