Another view from Styleforum.net

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Another view from Styleforum.net

Post by Bri »

I was reading a thread on that site about how men dress now compared to historical times and US vs. European dress and even though this guy wrote it in High School, it's really spot on.

It really doesn't have anything to do with skirts, but it's still a good read.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.ph ... ssing+well
Uncle Al

Re: Another view from Styleforum.net

Post by Uncle Al »

Bri---Good Read! Several of the discussions do fit in with
our thoughts on fashion, you know, well dressed versis sloppy.
I did visit the guy's website/store and was :shock: :shock: at his
prices for a blasted necktie.

Most of the article, to me, showed that the 'GQ man'
is still thinking 'inside-the-box'. They were talking about how
good looking women were in 'mens' clothes. For me, the idea
of wearing a tie on a daily basis is past history. Been there,
done that, don't have to do it anymore ( unless I want to).

I wonder what the reaction would be if someone posted
about a man-skirt on the 'styleforum.net' site? :twisted: :lol:

Just a thought.... :wink:

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Confession - I HAVE paid that sum for a tie - but it was some time ago (late 1990s) and the £:$ ratio does have amarked effect on relative prices. Say US$ 90 at the time....

Not any more! I was at a client today. Suit, as ever - but no tie.
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

I didn't agree with most of what the article said about men in suits and how to dress. The idea was to show that the US as a whole is actually downgrading its self in fashion. As in the role models on TV and other media formats are actually telling people sure, dress like a slob, going and getting your hair cut properly at a salon is a femme thing and as a man you shouldn't do that. So drink your cheap American beer, sit on your fat bum and watch tv until you get really fat, and then we'll call you a "real" man. The other ones who want to groom themselves and keep themselves in good hygiene we'll just call sissies, or metro's or some other label that puts them in a less manly role.

Sorry guys, but women love real men who take care of themselves and groom and smell nice. I was also told by a few past girlfriends (we dated for maybe 3 weeks) that real men should have callused hands to show that they actually work somewhere. I have very few calluses on my hands as I went to school and worked with computers. So they were saying that in order to be a manly man, or a man, I had to look like a manual laborer or someone who doesn't take care of themselves.

"I'm new here and read a thread on decline of dressing well in the US. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.ph ... ssing+well And was impressed by the first essay article thing written by someone in high school. I've also seen the decline of people wearing nicer clothes today and cheap clothes seeming to dominate the market. I really wish the criticising of men who want to look less like mechanic types with greasy hair and skin and just dirty, and more of a refined imagine. I'm not a mechanic and in fact my jobs have nothing to do with getting dirty, so why would I want to present myself in the image.

A problem I've had is that I bought a pair of Alfani slacks at Macy's and they after about 4 or 6 wears had a hole in the side the size of a US quarter. I wasn't very happy. Even though I didn't pay very much and assumed they were made in a 3rd world country with nearly slave labor. Any other brands that I can buy that will last me years? I have a pair of Johnson and Murphy dress shoes which I couldn't live without because they look nice and are very comfortable.

I also saw this comment or question/subject has been approached before. I believe that men should have the choice in what to wear beyond jeans/slacks/pants and shorts. I wish I had the problem of finding something to wear in the morning that women face. I call it a choice, much more than a burden.

I and quite a few other guys that I know wear skirts, not to look femme or anything or to cross dress (that idea would come up, believe me). I'm looking for nice things to wear with a skirt that's knee length or just above and slightly flared. Right now I'm wearing a skirt that's dark and has buckles, and pleated in the front but very wide pleats. If I were to walk past someone, they would think it's a kilt, but I'm a scot, and know very well what a kilt is and is not. Do I care if someone calls a kilt a skirt, nope, and that's because in essence a kilt is a skirt."

For those of you reading the "I call it a choice, much more than a burden". There was a part of the thread where someone called what women have to do with their choice in clothes, a "burden".
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Bri---

I wasn't trying to 'kick-in' anyones after-burners.....my comments
were more 'tongue-in-cheek' than agreeing or disagreeing with
the authors statements. I do agree that men should dress appropriately
for the occasion. Shorts and Tennis shoes for a 'black-tie' dinner
is out of the question. But someone may be tempted to 'buck' the
system. I personally do not go to a 'salon' to get my hair cut. I have an
excellent barber who has served me well for many years. Never had
any problems, not much hair left anyway. :D As for TV downgrading the examples
of proper dress, I do agree that TV is an 'exploiter' of the general public.

I do have several pairs of P*nts which I purchased at J.C.Penny's about 15 years
ago and they still keep on going. Farrah and Haggar slacks do tend to last me
quite awhile. I just wish my waist-line would remain the same instead of
imitating a YO-YO! I finally had to get rid of one of my Lands End searsucker shirts
as I wore it out. These I've had for 8 years and were purchased at Sears.

Not everyone has a massive clothing allowance. Most of us have a
moderate to slightly less than moderate clothing allowance. We can't afford
'quality goods' at full price. We must watch for sales or discount pricing anywhere
we can get it. Just because we purchased an item at a 'discount',
does not automatically mean we bought a 'cheap' product.

Do I have a 'real' Scottish Kilt? No! Not on my budget.
Do I have any kilts? Yes! They are from Stillwaterkilts.com and I have 3 for less
than 1/3 the cost of a 'real' kilt. Do I care. No--This way I have a choice in
which kilt to wear for which occasion. So far, they are holding up quite well :!: :)

Good grooming is a must for anyone, especially if they want to succeed
at anything. Jobs, dating, marriage, etc., to name a few.

Being a 'slob' will get you no-where-fast. You must like yourself and take care
of yourself first in order to convey to anyone else that you are not a slob and
will be able to do a good job for your employer, spouse or friend.

OK--I will put away my :soapbox: for now. :)

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

The Alfani slacks that I have right now I had to have my fiancee's mom sew up because of the nice hole in them that I wasn't happy about. Some of these people spend all their money or close to it on new clothes. It's nearly the same as the VW fashion thread - only slightly more formal. I've just seen way too many people hold up the "you aren't a man" card because I dress differently than most, yet haven't really heard anyone say anything to me about it, just looks for now. I would like to dress a bit more formal than jeans and a tshirt almost everyday when not working, but very few people now wear anything other than that. I also take it that most of the labeling of people who dress differently than the majority dissapears when you get out of either high school or college. I don't hear it so much anymore, words like Preppy, or whatever.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Bri, maybe you ought to back off on "labeling" people. Unless you're perfect, and godlike, you have shortcomings also. In my experience, no one is perfect. I'm a bit overweight but I don't think that makes me "less" than you. :blue:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

I'm not trying to label. I'm saying that somehow the perception is that it's somehow manly now to be a slob, I didn't mean to include fat people in that generalization. This is for people who are ... well I"ll stop there because I know I'll offend someone on this forum. I know I"m not the perfect image of anything. I never said you were less than me, if anything, you're more than me in the skirts because you've been doing it much longer. Srry if what I said offended anyone..