Pantyhose and tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pantyhose and tights

Post by Caultron »

Hazy wrote:?..I think that seeing my leg hair under tights looks a bit untidy...
If hairy legs are all that's keeping you away from something you'd like to do, just shave.

Lots of athletes do it, you know. Swimmers, bicyclists, runners, almost anyone who competes with their legs showing. And some men have hardly any leg hair anyway.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sam

Post by Sam »

I sometimes trim my legs. Although the hair on my legs doest not disturb me wearing skirt and tights, i sometimes trim them
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I would echo the leg shaving. It's very easy and if you have reasonably defined muscles, looks good. Girls like it!

If you are really hairy though, it may not be for you!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Mine doesn't!
About 18 years ago at a whim I shaved my legs and savoured the result for about a day-and-a-half, then the stubble returned, to which my wife strongly objected. Fact is, having shaved that large area all the hairs had cut ends which were abrasive. Uncut hairs are fine and pliable and most important of all, the ends are smooth, not sharp.
It took several weeks for my legs to return to 'normal' hairy smoothness and I have never attempted to shave them since.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

You may find that leg hair grows softer and sparser with age, and that may help.

Otherwise, how did you shave? A straight razor is probably the slowest method and produces the squarest ends. I use an electric razor about twice a week and that seems to be enough.

I've tried depilatories but they take 10-15 minutes to work and they irritate my skin. Some people do like them, though.

Mechanical epilators (I.e. Epilady) can produce longer-lasting results but because they work by plucking, they can be painful, especially at first.

Waxing, which pulls hairs out from the roots, also lasts longer but again can be painful.

Laser hair removed is a permanent solution, but may require 3-5 treatments over 6-12 months to be totally effective. And the treatments can get expensive. During each treatment, the laser burns out the currently-active hair follicles so they never grow again.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

I shave my legs, and then apply 'hair minimising lotion'.
This acts as a moisturiser (I have dry skin), slows the growth of new hair and softens and thins the new hair too.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The one time I did it was with a multibladed safety razor and it took all day, or seemed to. I'm comfortably back with Cro-Magnon or nNeanderthal man now and luxuriate in a penumbra which allows my pins get tanned but never burnt (by the Sun!)

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Hazy

Post by Hazy »

Caultron wrote:
Hazy wrote:?..I think that seeing my leg hair under tights looks a bit untidy...
If hairy legs are all that's keeping you away from something you'd like to do, just shave.
Not shaving doesn't keep me from wearing tights, but when I do I just go a 50 - 70 denier, no problems at all. A lighted denier, and the hairs show through quite prominently. It's just a personal look that I don't like much.
Kirbstone wrote: About 18 years ago at a whim I shaved my legs and savoured the result for about a day-and-a-half, then the stubble returned, to which my wife strongly objected.
Absolutely. I used to shave my legs when I was cycling a lot, but invariably after a couple of days the stubble would be sharp, a tad itchy and the good wife didn't like that one iota.

Neil
Sam

Post by Sam »

Hazy wrote:Not shaving doesn't keep me from wearing tights, but when I do I just go a 50 - 70 denier, no problems at all. A lighted denier, and the hairs show through quite prominently. It's just a personal look that I don't like much.
Well, in that case I would trim them. As the (just a little bit) warmer weather (hopefully) comes near, I'll have to change from opaques to lighter deniers and I'll have to look very carefully if the hairs do not show too much :D
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I shave my legs, the stubble returns after 3 days so I shave them again, I first did it years ago as I was a cyclist, I'm still a cyclist, but now I do it because I like it, hairy legs just feels so wrong now.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I guess this all down to preference but here's my take.
Over the winter I left off shaving and tights were mostly O.K. but warmer weather leads to greater growth, I'm led to believe.
Leg hair finds it's own way through all but the thickest tighs and I doubt that's a good look in most eyes.
Shaved tonight, so tomorrow I can work in a skirt with less heavy tights and feel "tidy" and comfortable.
As the months progress I will move to semi-opaques but not sheers, that's my limit and what I feel is right for me.
It's worked so far at least.
Steve.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

The only time I'm not wearing pantyhose is when I am shaving my legs...
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Sam

Post by Sam »

Mike wrote:The only time I'm not wearing pantyhose is when I am shaving my legs...

Good thing, me too
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I've been wearing pretty much 24/7 since 2007 when some nurses said I should try them for my 12-hour shifts in the NOC with its concrete floors and raised-tile computer room floors. There were great! Helped reduce night-time leg cramps. Then had a DVT incident and three doctors gave me prescriptions for medium support hose - which was fulfilled by store-bought hose rather than medical-grade.

So, jump 7 years and I have been pondering a conversation I had with a lady friend...who said 'skirt' every time I said the word 'kilt' and well, what's the difference, really?

Anyway, I've worn several skirts out and about during the late Spring, Summer and having seen ladies wearing skirts to work...knee-length ones at that...I said why not?

So I've been wearing to and from work, though not at work yet. Tonight was the most extreme: 48 degrees Fahrenheit with a 15-mile/hour wind from the NNW. which by the Pre-November 2001 formula comes to 33.15 degrees F. The "new" formula gives it: 42.08 degrees F. I was wearing a knee-length knit pencil skirt in the parking garage downtown, 7 floors up, top level within spitting distance of the river. Surprisingly, my fingers, arms and chest got cold, legs were ok and the.....ummm...updrafts were not that noticeable other than the movement of air.

More than 15 minutes would have been a bit much unless I was going somewhere, and if I'd had a medium windbreaker or blazer on it would have mitigated the upper-body cold, and provided pockets to put hands in.

So I can see where short exposures walking to/from the office and wherever you parked or the bus stop and so on is do-able. Now, to try it with an ankle-length skirt. No underskirts or slips or whatever yet.

And...I've noted that many ladies of my acquaintance are 'cold-blooded' by which I mean they have cool or cold hands and feet.... Which they place on me, here and there, in order to warm up and sometimes ask: 'how can you be so warm?'

:mrgreen:
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Darryl wrote:And...I've noted that many ladies of my acquaintance are 'cold-blooded' by which I mean they have cool or cold hands and feet.... Which they place on me, here and there, in order to warm up and sometimes ask: 'how can you be so warm?'

:mrgreen:
I chalk it up to genetics. My mother was cold blooded and I am too. Thanks mom. :blue:
It may be 70F and a bit at my desk at work, but I'm wearing a wool cardigan sweater due to air movement from the A/C and a neighbor who is hot blooded and runs a fan all the time.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco