Pantyhose and tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pantyhose and tights

Post by Pythos »

I made my contribution guys.

Let's hit this one with a whole lot of sensible arguments.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
Neil

Post by Neil »

My all-time preference is for Donna Karan. I love the feel and look of the various styles, and the full lineup has a lot of flexibility. They're not cheap, but I've found them to be very durable, as well as feeling and looking great.
Does wearing pants make you a lesbian?
You like mushrooms. I like pantyhose. What makes your taste OK, but mine not?
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Milfmog wrote:In view of this thread I am surprised that no one has mentioned this article in the Daily Mail (UK Red Top "news" paper) earlier this week about the resurgence of tights for men...Have fun,Ian.
How new is "new", I wonder? Even my wife, who isn't exactly overboard about men's 'fashion freedom', come winter, will buy me a couple of pair of opaque tights, thirty-odd years on, "just in case we have a cold winter". I haven't the heart to tell her I prefer 'hold-ups' these days - tights are just too uncomfortable and, more importantly, far too 'unhealthy' to risk wearing, unless the temperature drops below Zero. :?
tooslowprius
Distinguished Member

Post by tooslowprius »

I have heard a lot of guys say that thights (pantyhose) are too unhealthy and unconfortable. In someways i agree with the fact that they can beuncomfortable, but on the other had I don't. As far as unhealthy i not sure why people would say that. yes i have heard all the reports about the male anatomy needing to be kept cooler if you are trying to have kids. well i am living proof as to say that is not always true. I have worn hose for years and i wore them quite often before i had my second child. well need less to say i have 2 perfectly healthy girls. honestly if we think about it the top of a pair of hose is not really no diffrent than wearing a jock strap, or a pair of compression shorts when playing a sport. sure when you are trying to have children it helps to let the boys breath, but if you think about it if you don't have enough swimmers or they swim too slow it's not really going to matter. some of the study's i have read have said that the "boys" are kind of like the "girls" and need to be supported too like they do, when doing activitys, and to basicly let them hang at night after your done for the day kind of like females do at night.
miniskirt07

Post by miniskirt07 »

well i find tights are very comfortable also it help my muscle more relax - I used Levante Suede Matte 50 deiner, Levante Ultimate 80, Wolford Fatal 50, Wolford DeLuxe 50 and Aristoc Velveteen 50 deiner which are very softy plus very comfortable - only when you shave your legs to make more smooth that give you nice feel - if you dont shave and keep hairy legs that give you wee bit itchy. I shave my legs first then put tights on then mini skirt that really cool. Tights can help muscle to relax also blood flow smooth - it look good on men with short or skirt as it just normal clothes :D
The Kilted Hoosier

Post by The Kilted Hoosier »

I thoroughly enjoy wearing tights, hold ups and (to a lesser degree) pantyhose. Especially when travelling and wearing my Utilikilt. I shave my legs for the best fit, feel and look. While my wife is not always fond of the fashion choices I make, she understands the level of comfort I seek and acknowledges that.

For cold weather, hose under trousers makes more sense than thermals.

all the best,

dave
mountain-mug

Post by mountain-mug »

I'm getting in on this at a late date. but since it is getting to be tights weather in the northern Rockies, perhaps appropriate. I have had good luck with Hue brand tights, which are opaque, not sheers. They have 3 lines you may be interested in: sheer to waist, control top, and super opaque. The regular weights are 40 denier and the super's are 90, as I recall. The color range is excellent, although local retailers don't stock a full range. The regular weight models give fairly good coverage, with just a hint of skin showing. I am 6', and find their sizing to be quite good. They stay up, are comfortable, and really add a nice look to skirts when the weather turns cool or cold. So go out and enjoy adding a little color to your skirts!
CJFMix

Post by CJFMix »

As the weather came close to freezing for a few nights (Montreal) , it's time to wear tights !!!

I agree that , low budget tights drags down as you walk , but you're able to find some comfortable fit , just like a hug from a second skin , with higher quality tights ...

I may have two dozen models/thickness/colors to choose from , I prefer the patterned ones !!!

I consider them as a complement to skirts , as they bring nice looks and a degree of freedom unknown to men !!!
When you look good , you can go anywhere !!!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

CJFMix wrote:As the weather came close to freezing for a few nights (Montreal) , it's time to wear tights !!!
New England is right behind you -- we had a frost advisory up last night, and the local temperatures got down into the mid to upper 30s (F) the past two nights. Sapphire and I don't have the central heating turned up yet, and it's 63 in the computer room and cooler in other parts of the house. So, yes, it's definitely tights weather -- I wore a pair yesterday and didn't regret it one bit.
I agree that , low budget tights drags down as you walk , but you're able to find some comfortable fit , just like a hug from a second skin , with higher quality tights ...
It's all in finding the correct size. Ill-fitting ones are torture; with a proper fit, one is barely aware of their presence.
I may have two dozen models/thickness/colors to choose from , I prefer the patterned ones !!!
Show-off! ;)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

Finally received my Network red tartan tights today from Bromley, Kent. These are much higher quality than the regular stuff you'd buy from a place like Kohl's, Mervyn's or some other discount dept. store. They also fit way better! I'll put something up later to show.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bri wrote:Finally received my Network red tartan tights today.
Ah, but are they Network 23 tights? ;) (OK, I'm dating myself there just a bit. I need to play the "I've had a bad day chit".)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I wish I had such latitude in what colors tights I could wear. In my size, tights come in black, black with brown ridges, brown with black ridges, or chocolate brown with no ridges. At least in the sites I've found that actually HAVE my size.

Yesterday at 9 in the morning, I woke up to bitter cold temps in my room. All the way down to 60!!! Yech. I put on a wool skirt and wool sweater and pulled my tights on under my skirt, wore them ever since. Changed skirts, and other things, left the tights on. Supposed to be warm in the morning, if it is, I'll take those warm tights off..and hop in the shower. Wooo cant wait!
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
The Kilted Hoosier

Post by The Kilted Hoosier »

I have worn hose and tights for the past couple of years. Initially, I did not shave my legs. By comparison, hose with shaved legs is far more preferable in terms of comfort and asthetics.

My preference in hose leans towards thigh highs but a strong case can be made for control tops. If your work is anybit demanding physically, as is mine, then control tops are great for mid-section support. When wearing my Utilikilt, I prefer the thigh highs.

I also wear opaque tights with my UK and have ventured out in them in cargo shorts as well.

Comfilon is a great brand for men's hosiery of all sorts: http://www.comfilon.com

Hanes Sheer Reflections are great for their thigh highs. Hane Alive and Legs Sheer Energy for Control Top pantyhose endure what I throw at them.

Freestyle fashion should be just that. I truly don't understand how women can argue against ANY double standard they happen to run across yet turn around and not support our choices in clothing when it happens to be things typically associated with their section of the store. FWIW

superdave
miniskirt07

Post by miniskirt07 »

good one as softy from Gipsy Hosiery >> http://www.gipseyhosiery.co.uk -- I have the 100 denier, 60 denier and 50 denier seem very softy feel also look wee bit cheaper from this online -- Ive ordered some of it today and will get next week.. I have 2 pairs at home, it feel so softy.... it made from Italy.
matt2225

Post by matt2225 »

I have been wearing pantyhose for about 20 years mainly for how they feel on my legs and of course slacks/jeans glide over them well. Over the past year I have been wearing Full support and graduated compression pantyhose to help with vericose veins, restless legs, and improved circulation. I have never felt better. I noticed a big improvement with my performance at work. From before with no pantyhose, I would be miserable at about 2-3 hours on my feet. Wearing pantyhose, I can sustain my work perfomance for the whole day.

My preference of pantyhose are Hanes Alive, Solidea, Oroblu. Always control top. I have shear to waist and wear them on the weekends. I do have Leggs Active support, the Leggs are not as strong in support as the others. I wear skin tones when I'm showing my legs such as in shorts. I also remove the leg hair because hair acts as a lubricant and I notice that my pantyhose slide down. Hair removed and my hose stay in place.
Last edited by matt2225 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.