Pantyhose and tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Brandy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pantyhose and tights

Post by Brandy »

Wow this thread is still around. I can provide an update to my post on page one.

After that bought with reallty painfull legs i did a lot of websearching and found a pretty good vendor. I still have some Oroblu left, but I would no longer recommend them. I now use Solidea sold by legluxe.com in this country. Watch out for the full control, they are not kidding.

My first real exposure with tights was with a bicycle crash and bad case road rash. Then initally when I first got into skirts. What I have worn with Utiliklits are tan or nude tights with kilt hose. That looks pretty good. I also tried tights with tartan kilts that did not work well at all.

People are so use to seeing tights with a skirt it looks natural and as long as its balanced a quick look up and down is all you will get.

How did SO accept tights/pantyhose. Ex-wife I do no know I never wore'em openly. Later after I got my act together with the then current Lady she helped me pick out the colors! A lot has to do with how comfortable you feel. It shows, people will see and feel it.

-- Brandy
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

This article was published in the Daily Mail today. The general tone of both article and comments are pretty much what I'd expect from the Daily Mail.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Milfmog wrote:This article was published in the Daily Mail today. The general tone of both article and comments are pretty much what I'd expect from the Daily Mail.
Actually, the article was more intelligent and balanced than I had expected from the "Daily Fail." The comments are par for the course, though.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

I like the skirt, I hate the "tights", they look more like sloppy long johns.

Not all the comments were negative however. Some were supportive, which was nice to see for once with what is obviously a tabloid rag. (look at the side articles).

I have seen the other tights examples, and have to say though I am not a fan of them, I think they will help push the style forward.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
floatingmetal

Post by floatingmetal »

It's clearly a slow news day. "Niche, expensive retailer Selfridges finally catch up with trend which has been growing for five years or so with something reassuringly expensive, here shown on a man they don't fit." Still, if it gets even a few more people used to the idea then I suppose I shouldn't grumble too much!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

They have the wrong name. Not just"tights" but "USED tights" might work. They looks well used. I don't think even Robin Hood and his Mary men would have worn those. Um, maybe Friar Tuck might have...under his.....MUG :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
RyeOfTheDead
Distinguished Member

Post by RyeOfTheDead »

I think the pictures are just confusingly placed. The guy in the first shot with the skirt isn't wearing tights but rather leggings, it says in the caption that men's leggings have been in high demand, then it shows the shots of the E-mancipate guys as if to say "and here's where that trend is leading to..."

Personally I think the dress shirt with that skirt doesn't work well together at all.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Interesting, the two tights in the middle are heavily patterned. This reflects a trend in fashion dance tights for men, also heavily patterned (men have always been wearing black tights in the dance studio, patterned tights like this are relatively new). Personally, I'm not into the look, at least not these patterns.

I also notice that the pattern on the left echos the classic pinstripes. The pink color might be a bit of a hard sell, but it's done here to give a good color combo with the rest of the outfit. I like the shirt, even thought those kinds of horizontal strips on shirts went out in the '80s --- definitely a "dressy casual" look overall.

The "camo" tights are on a more "casual casual" look. It would be nice to see how that outfit works with shoes, I mean, this guy isn't going very far out of his house without them.

The guy in the skirt at the top --- no, no, no. The skirt is too short for the conservative shirt and tie, and the leggings too baggy. And it's all too black on the bottom, versus the blue on top.

And the guy on the bottom --- this is basically a guy in shorts, the sheer hose are pretty invisible. But I think the fabric of the shorts is too soft for the typically well-defined lines of the jacket. OTOH, the jacket looks like it's pretty soft material as well. Still, I'd like to see something a bit more formal looking underneath, when worn with a jacket. The V-Neck sweater says "preppy," maybe that angle could be played up a bit more.

In all the photos: notice how the shoes are chosen to be flexible and form-fitting, and (most importantly) to not make the feet look overly big. Unless you're going to go for the kilt-and-combat boots look, I believe that shoes that don't make your feet look too big are pretty essential when going for skirted ensembles (or in this case, when showing off your legs in shorts).
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

I am not too sure about making your feet appear small. A characteristic of men is big or large feet. When you wear shoes that make your feet look small, in some people's eyes it may appear you are going overtly fem. When I have worn my really flamboyant styles, I am usually wearing boots, in one case my ankle boots, and in the other, my combat boots. In both instances I got compliments from both sides of gender spectrum.

I have rather big feet, why hide that with tini tiny shoes?

I really do not like the emancipate guy's styles, to me they virtually look the same, and I just am not one for the tights with shorts look. I don't even like it on women. Probably conditioning.

I am more than sure that with the right fitting leggings, or sheer hose, correct shoes, and better fitting dress shirt, I could make the upper outfit look one hell of a lot better. That presentation is just sloppy in the extreme. It would not look good on a woman, so why would it look good on a man?
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Because the profile of your bare legs (or legs in tights) is skinnier than the profile of your legs inside trousers. So shoes that look great with trousers suddenly seem to me oversize when worn under a skirt.

But that's just my aesthetic opinion. In fashion, rules are meant to be broken!
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

That last sentence, is a truism if I ever saw one.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Bob wrote:
Because the profile of your bare legs (or legs in tights) is skinnier than the profile of your legs inside trousers. So shoes that look great with trousers suddenly seem to me oversize when worn under a skirt.

But that's just my aesthetic opinion. In fashion, rules are meant to be broken!
(My emphasis - Ian)

...which is just as well or I'd have to get my toes removed and the sides of my feet shaved down. Big feet need big shoes and, whatever my views on fashion, my feet simply won't go into small shoes.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Sam

Post by Sam »

I like to wear tights every time I wear a skirt. It feels very comfortable and relaxing. I wear al kinds of tights from 5 den to 70 den and from nude to brown sheers (most in spring and summer) and darker green, brown, black, nearly black and blue, depends on the skirt I wear. Brands: Wolford, Kunert, falke, Oroblue, Pretty Polly, Kunert, Filodoro.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I don't think my hairy legs would suit tights!
Hazy

Post by Hazy »

I like to wear tights in the winter, but usually go bare legged in the warmer months (from October to about now).

I have reasonably hairy legs and only wear skirts which fall just above knee length. As I think that seeing my leg hair under tights looks a bit untidy, I wear 50 den black with dark colour skirts or 70 den tan under light colour skirts.

Cheers 8)