My wedding pic appeared at work!!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

My wedding pic appeared at work!!

Post by Pythos »

So after the weekend while clocking in, I find posted up next to the time clock is a picture of me, with the words below saying "employee of the month". This followed my getting an aircraft that had not run in 10 years to breath air and belch fire (run) again after a short amount of work (I call it raising the dead)

Thing being the picture is of me in the outfit I wore to my friend's wedding (the tight black Chinese gown, that I had fitted for my body shape, and wore as a man). My initial reaction was "what the hell is that doing here", and then sheer terror ripped through me. What kinda crap was I do in for? I noticed the pic had gone an entire day without being defaced, and thought things may not be that bad.

Then my concern went toward the shop and customers seeing one of their mechanics of their aircraft out in a public place in a gown and pantyhose. This thought had me take the pic down.

When my boss arrived I probed to see if he had seen the pic, and he asked "What's wrong with it? are you in drag or something?" I explained to him the event,and my own style ideas. His response astonished me. He said "you're too thin skinned" and when he saw the pic he was actually impressed. "Wow. Well your not really in drag, and you pull the look off well" After I expressed my concern for the shop, he said "Well that's your choice, but if I were in your position I'd leave it up, this is a shop this is probably the least offensive picture the guys here post"

So I put the pic back up.

My fellow workers came in later and nothing derogatory was stated. One fellow said in a non mocking tone "There he is in his warrior princess outfit" That was the only "zing" I heard, and frankly I took it as a compliment.

My friend at the shop is the one that posted it and he said he found it on my myspace page. I asked what the reaction was by others the day before. Acording to him only one guy had a problem and that guy is definitely a red neck, and possibly a closseted homosexual. But that guy isn't realy all that bad.

so all in all so far the revelation about my fashion ideas has not done the damage I thought it would in my work place. The pic has been up for three days, with no damage or defacement.

I am gonna leave it up till the end of my work week, then take it down. It is funny, I see that pic posted in my shop, seeing me in that sleek dress, with nicely exposed hose covered legs, standing proudly in the city hall rotunda, and feel a bit of pride. Pride for having the guts to wear the outfit in public, the fun I had that day, and the fact it seems my style is no big deal to my fellow employees.

I will tread gently on these grounds. I may show up to the shop on one of my days off in leggings and t shirt to do some work on my bug, just to see the reaction.

Hopefully this will help people here venture out in their outfits.

Time will tell if my thoughts on this are correct.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Pythos,

That sounds like you expected a baptism of fire but only got to look at a box of matches; an excellent result and pretty typical of most peoples experiences of wearing a skirt in view of their friends and colleagues.

I think you are absolutely right to put the picture back up, taking it down implied guilt, but leaving it there expresses more of the self assurance that the picture itself shows so clearly. You're right to feel a little pride (not too much - that's always dangerous) but don't push it, just let folks get used to the idea. If people talk to you about it stay calm, look them in the eye and keep a general attitude of "sure, so what" and no one is likely to react any worse than the responses you've already had.

Let's face it, who's going to mess with a guy who has the cajones to wear that in public?

Nice one, kudos to you.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Cool!

Post by ChrisM »

Great story Pythos! Thanks for telling it.

I think it just goes to prove once more that the people that know you won't care what you wear. You built relationships with these guys first, and then they discovered your skirts. I assume they'll give you some locker-room ribbing about it - I know I get some for kilts - but it's good natured and based on respect.

So: Cool story! Thanks!

Chris
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That is a positively marvelous story, Pythos! Thanks for sharing it.

Your boss' response was dead on: if you were so worried about what people were going to say to you that you took the picture down you are a bit thin-skinned. That was quite a favour there, and note that you went back and put the picture right back up again. Well done.

I'm sure you'll get some good-natured ribbing about it going forward, and that can actually be a healthy thing so long as it doesn't get out of hand or vicious. It's a guy thing, and the key is to keep it within the boundaries of what the group can take, and to give as good as one gets.

So, welcome to the world of being "outed", and congratulations for standing on your own two feet in front of your shop-mates.

Congratulations, too, on getting the aeroplane up and running again; the next step is to let it flex its wings and fly again.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Sounds like you handled it quite well, and since you had it on your my space page then you weren't exactly "outed" even though it probably felt that way at first.
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Pythos what a great story! I remember seeing a photo of you in that outfit and you looked just amazing. I would so wear that (if it were twice as big :) ).
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

I recently (last night) found on REI.com quite a few running skirts and a dress that I really want my fiancee to buy (it's $72) ok... no more teasing, I can't even stand it.. http://www.rei.com/product/764490

I can really say that it caught my eye right then and there. I was just thinking of it for her, but she looked at the screen and made a low groaning noise in disagreement. She still doesn't think she has the body to wear something like that, but I have to differ with her. Yet I wander how it would look on me, and yes, I would pay that much for a really nice dress.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

Wow, the one I looked at didn't have a model, but it also doesn't look that good on the model, just not the right type of body (as you said) to really sell it. I think if they modeled it using someone with light hair, or lighter hair, it would go really well.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Pythos, that was a good outcome, and thanks for sharing the experience with us all. I envy the cheongsam look but am totally the wrong figure for it.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Bri wrote:I recently (last night) found on REI.com quite a few running skirts and a dress that I really want my fiancee to buy (it's $72) ok... no more teasing, I can't even stand it.. http://www.rei.com/product/764490

I can really say that it caught my eye right then and there. I was just thinking of it for her, but she looked at the screen and made a low groaning noise in disagreement. She still doesn't think she has the body to wear something like that, but I have to differ with her. Yet I wander how it would look on me, and yes, I would pay that much for a really nice dress.
Nice dress, and many dresses are made so that even flat chested women ( men) with more straight figures that hour glass, can wear them well.

I am trying dresses, now as a followup on skirts. Dresses can look great on men also.!!!!! :D But if you dare, just try dresses on in the shops! I do and that is over here no problem at all. I do go well dressed in skirts, so that they know I am not some "dirty old man" :? :D :D
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Pythos, although it was not your initiative, it luckily proved that the fear was greater than the actual result, and much better than you imagined the outcome would be. Just goes to show, as long as you don't have to deal with extreme minded people, it generally shouldn't give any problems others knowing of your clothing choices.

I am so happy for you.

Of course making a choice and wanting to stand firm on it, we must accept the fact that not all people will appreciate that. Having said that, when I drive, i don't expect to be in an auto accident, etc. and in this case, which I am very happy for you that it worked out so unexpectadly well, it has given you more room to be yourself in. There is so much poverty in the quality of life because so many people deny themselves to live as the people they really are.

Fashion fredom is not only a personal choice of clothing, but also the dare to stand up for it, and the right to be respected. ( and hope that there be no negative consequences )
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Sounds like you came through the situation looking good, Pythos. I'm glad it went back up, that's just the right message to send.
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

My fiancee and I are going to take her car in tomorrow to get a flat fixed, and they know my car and what I've had them do to it, so it's going in early in the morning so I'm going to wear my 3/4 adidas workout/relaxed capri things.

Everyone in the shop is really cool though, so I feel comfortable doing it.
Donald

Post by Donald »

Pythos, sounds like you have a very understanding boss and human resources department. Where I work, had I posted the picture, I may have been called in the office and given a talking-to if anybody complained. If a coworker would have done the same thing, they would have received a lecture.

People at work know I wear dresses, nightgowns, and 1pc swimwear. Being a factory (that sadly seems to have a lot of....well...dummies) I guess that this is expected. But people have talked behind my back and a lot of them had embellished the rumors. Like how wearing a dress turned into a wig and full makeup!!! :lol: :roll: But the woman that came up with that...well let's just say that my mental capacity is as far above hers as hers is above the amoeba!! :P The vast majority of those that have seen my dress and swimwear photos say that it looks good on me and I choose good styles for my figure. And nobody will ever confront me directly and act aggressive because they know I will give them an earful. Plus...would you mess around with a guy driving an 8,000 pound forklift? :lol: My favorite line though that shuts people up is this. "I know that some people will have a problem with what I wear outside of work. That's understandable. But what if there was a propane leak and a fire occured. If anybody caught on fire and I was the closest one to an extinguisher, they probably would not care what I wore if I was the one that saved them from horrible 3rd degree burns or death. I am also certain that they would not want me to remember they made fun of me and thus "freeze up in fear" at the sight of a fire despite being next to the extinguisher." They got the point. :D

I guess what I am trying to say here is that I know people know what I wear and that I could care less what they think. I also know that NOBODY would ever bother me off the property where HR cannot protect them if I decide to cuss them out! :P :lol: Yet they know that I still am the same ol' Donald and all my friends are still my friends knowing what they know.