Men Carrying Purses?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Men Carrying Purses?

Post by JRMILLER »

Hi,
Saw a comment on another site that said European men commonly carry purses. Can anyone confirm? Just curious....
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

A former manager of mine carried a man's purse. He had worked in Italy for many years and said it was commonplace.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Post by imadube »

Spent total of 7 years in Europe and did have a "Man Bag" (instead of Hand Bag). Mostly a clutch type thing. Very handy and still have. Thinking about useing it again as I can tolerate stuff in my pockets even less as time goes by.
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Post by imadube »

Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Still very much an 'Italian' thing, I reckon. Never seen many carried in other European countries, not that anyone probably notices or cares?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Several years agao, when my family and I visited France,
I saw several of these. Not so much in the smaller cities,
but plenty in Paris.

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

purses

Post by knickerless »

I know lots of men who carry purses - they have them for their small change. I have never considered it effeminate. But starngely men who carry purses are usually thought of as tight!

Nick
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Confirm -- at least from the Brit who ran the UK counterpart to our PDP-10-based (computer) timesharing facility in the very early 1980s who carried what amounted to a large "clutch". This was the first time I'd been exposed to such a thing (being still in my late teens), so I took more notice of it than I might otherwise have -- and it actually made sense to me at the time.

I've never thought anything negative about a bloke with a bag. Sometimes it's just better than ramming all that stuff into pockets.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Miket

Post by Miket »

Have used a man bag for many years having started when I was working in Colombia. I am currently on holiday in Mallorca and looking for a new one. I think they are essential!
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I just like pockets, however, I do have a couple of cordura shoulder bags for the times I am in a sarong. Whether shoulder bag or pocket, I do have a coin purse with two compartments where I segregate the one and two dollar coins from the smaller denominations. Yep! I am probably tight. My SO will vouch for that.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

Having once said that I wouldn't be seen dead with a hand bag, I found that I was carrying a traditional men's brief case. I need something to carry my lunch to work, a few works documents, a kagool (raincoat), first aid kit and ... and .... and (oh! not a kitchen sink too?) in.
One day we will all use plastic debit cards and not need a purse for our small change. Meanwhile there are some places where I don't feel confident to use plastic, as people I know have reported the existence of credit card fraud there.
Oh for a skirt with big pockets and no need for a bag.
Colin.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

sporran

Post by JRMILLER »

Hi,
Was at the Tartan Ball this past weekend, about 40 guys in kilts, all wearing sporrans. They amount to little purses that open with a snap at the top into which you can place your cell phone and wallet.

Utilikilts have large pockets, so that's a possibility too.

All these new things I am learning, my head is about to explode!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Milfmog

Re: sporran

Post by Milfmog »

JRMILLER wrote:All these new things I am learning, my head is about to explode!
Don't worry John,

Once your brain is full it will begin to function as a shift register...

Homer: Every time I learn something new it pushes something else out of my brain.
Bart: Yeah like the time you learned how good beer tastes and forgot how to drive...

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

I think any man wearing a skirt would do well to consider sewing up a couple of D-rings on his skirt and creating a sporran he can clip to them. I put one on my homemmade utility kilt, and can see no reason why it would not work with any other skirt/dress. Very handy for cellphone, wallet, other stuff.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

BrotherTailor wrote:I think any man wearing a skirt would do well to consider sewing up a couple of D-rings on his skirt and creating a sporran he can clip to them. I put one on my homemmade utility kilt, and can see no reason why it would not work with any other skirt/dress. Very handy for cellphone, wallet, other stuff.
The trouble with that arrangement is that I HATE sporrans bouncing against the more delicate features of my anatomy so choose never to use one.

Guess that just shows that we're all different.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce