Being required to wear neckties if you are male.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Re: Being required to wear neckties if you are male.

Post by Zorba »

crfriend wrote: But, once in a while one does meet somebody in a tie that's a good egg; if we ever meet and I happen to have one on I hope I'll be cut some slack.
Met my share of "good eggs" in ties - but I'm always cautious...
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Most of our "worlds", have yet to reach a point where we can wear what we want, when we want.
Neck ties, necklaces, dare I say skirts.
We can rail all we like, freedom of choice is really a luxury and not truly open to all and sundry.
We all have to bend, compromise unless you are extremely lucky, that is.
Now, to Zorba, I know that I have been "judged" for wearing a skirt in public. The feedback has been mostly positive, but there is still an element of silent disapproval. Fortunately, I am mainly able to ignore that.
I wore the traditional "suit and tie" for many years and sure as hell would not expect to be judged as a person on that basis alone.
Believe it or not, there were even times that I enjoyed myself wearing that garb, even if it wasn't my whole choice.
Steve.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

Yea, yea. I'm "judged" all the time - its human nature.

Now ask if I care... :mrgreen:
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Zorba wrote:Yea, yea. I'm "judged" all the time - its human nature.
Well, it sometimes helps if the "judgment" isn't always bad -- especially is one is looking for a job!

I'll likely be in the market for a -- gasp -- suit (He said a dirty word!) as I ramp up my search. If skirts come up in discussion I won't shy away as lying is always bad policy, but they won't likely be deployed for events like interviews -- certainly not at the salary requirements I have.
Now ask if I care... :mrgreen:
The story's been told. ;)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Carl,
Your recent posts make disturbing reading. I know this is a difficult time for you and I can only wish you well.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

crfriend wrote:
Zorba wrote:Yea, yea. I'm "judged" all the time - its human nature.
Well, it sometimes helps if the "judgment" isn't always bad -- especially is one is looking for a job!

I'll likely be in the market for a -- gasp -- suit (He said a dirty word!) as I ramp up my search. If skirts come up in discussion I won't shy away as lying is always bad policy, but they won't likely be deployed for events like interviews -- certainly not at the salary requirements I have.
You gotta do whatcha gotta do to survive. If my life was at stake, and wearing one of the damn things would help, I would to.

I'm principled, but not stupid. The whole thing is unethical as H,E, double toothpicks, but it is what it is.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Zorba wrote:You gotta do whatcha gotta do to survive. If my life was at stake, and wearing one of the damn things would help, I would to.

I'm principled, but not stupid. The whole thing is unethical as H,E, double toothpicks, but it is what it is.
Indeed, and that was the point I was trying to drive home. Sometimes convention drives us to do things we might otherwise find distasteful, and we do it -- as you observe -- simply to survive in the sometimes unclean world around us.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

One gets the impression that many of these views are based on personal preference. Which may be awkward when you are expected to wear that which is not preferred.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

crfriend wrote:Sometimes convention drives us to do things we might otherwise find distasteful, and we do it -- as you observe -- simply to survive in the sometimes unclean world around us.
True enough - but I'll *ONLY* do it if it truly is a matter of survival. Otherwise, to 'ell with "society" and their artificial, meaningless "conventions". I don't cave easily to the unethical.
Last edited by crfriend on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting [CRF]
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

There is "required" and then there is people actually following along. I've seen both a choral and a college orchestral concert where ties were specified for men and compliance was incomplete. I'm not even sure the orchestral concert had two thirds of the men wearing ties. A sight, Zorba, that I imagine would please you. Can't say I was displeased with the turnout either:)
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

Tor wrote:There is "required" and then there is people actually following along. I've seen both a choral and a college orchestral concert where ties were specified for men and compliance was incomplete. I'm not even sure the orchestral concert had two thirds of the men wearing ties. A sight, Zorba, that I imagine would please you. Can't say I was displeased with the turnout either:)
This is one reason I have little desire to take up my French Horn again - because I just flat would NOT comply with this BS. I'd wear a long black skirt instead...
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Zorba wrote:This is one reason I have little desire to take up my French Horn again - because I just flat would NOT comply with this BS. I'd wear a long black skirt instead...
To be fair, I should perhaps note that as far as I recall, ties have only been specified for three performances of two programmes over most of the last decade between both groups. There aren't a great many ties floating about these parts to begin with.

As for me, I'd be too afraid I'd at some point find myself reaching for a sharp knife to use on the tie in the hopes of preventing a worse disaster should I try to wear a tie. Ergo, no ties on me.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Why so negative about the tie? It's not that bad. As long as the collar size is right and there is the amount of two fingers space then the tie is an observational accessory and not a garrott . I have some really nice ties and sometimes it's the only splash of colour and humour in a man's wardrobe. Apart from maybe a t-shirt. But certainly nothing to get vehement about. Yes, it's an establishment article but there was a time when ties were even worn to the beach along with jacket and trousers - then the sixties came along with its more casual service to dress.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

Sinned wrote:Why so negative about the tie? It's not that bad. As long as the collar size is right and there is the amount of two fingers space..
BS!

I don't "do" high collars (or cuffs at the wrists either). Too hot. I need a lower neckline, a scoop or preferably a VEE. The oft quoted "two finger space" is so much crapola. My main dislike is the unethical requirement that men (and ONLY men!) wear them - which I do totally ignore, of course.

I sure don't need a necktie to show color - I'm wearing a bright - and I mean BRIGHT red shirt and skirt today. With garnet earrings and my usual necklaces.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

I, like Zorba, won't do high necklines. No turtlenecks, no short necklaces. I'm wary of such things as hat chin straps, shoulder length hair, t-shirts that aren't big (if I ever wear them at all), sweatshirt hoods, and other things. All of these (let alone a collar tight enough for a tie) I have had to pull away from my neck with a whole hand or more to keep from doing something unmentionable - especially were it a formal situation. I think I'll take the impropriety of not wearing a tie as insurance against that, thank you very much.