I am saddened

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

I am saddened

Post by Pythos »

I am saddened by what happened today.

I had two oportunities to wear a skirted outfit out of the house, and both times I chickened out. A few years ago this was not an issue, but for some reason I was stopped at the door, and made the decision to bow down to societie's whims.

I don't know what to do about this.

I am contemplating giving up the whole idea of fashion freedom and wearing that which others want me to.

But this angers me. It's 2008 for God's sake. The entire day today I did not see ONE person male or female in something other than pants. No leggings, no skirts, no shorts...PANTS. That's it.

I found myself angry at myself for chickening out and putting on a pair of jeans instead of the long black skirt I had chosen earlier.

What the hell is wrong with me? I am failing, or at least it feels that way.
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

Could it be there are other things going on in your life that are causing these feelings to surface?

You may find that down the road you return to 'fashion freedom', but perhaps you do need a break for the moment.

I think that no matter how 'free' I feel I am somedays... there are other times I am just so mentally worn-down or something similar, that I don't feel like putting on the Brave Face and striding out against social norms wearing a skirt.
Somedays it is easier to just throw on the pants.

Don't get too down about yourself over it though.
Give yourself a break when you need one.

I live way North on the West Coast and somedays the idea that I may have to face some ignorant soul over my choice of clothing... imaginary or real... can leave me a bit too stressed with all the other things happening in my life.

Take care of yourself... the skirts will always be there!
WSmac
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I would not feel too bad about your decision to wear jeans instead of a skirt. After all, we are all chicken sometimes, when the idea of facing the great blob of "society" and standing out like a sore toe, we back down and don a pair of conventionals. However, this is a fashion freedom site and, I'll admit to, sometimes actually freely choosing to wear the despised conventionals.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Pythos,

Don't get too hung up over it. Freedom is about having a choice; today you chose not to be out of the ordinary - that's absolutely fine. If you couldn't wear jeans your freedom would have been lost.

You have too much sense of your own style to wear jeans for ever, wear them when it suits you and you'll enjoy making a visual splash all the more next time you do it.

Just remember to have fun...

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

No problem. You chose to wear jeans yesterday because you felt you would be more at ease in them, another day you may choose a skirt. I seem to have drifted into a kilts and skirts phase, having worn a kilt or skirt every day since September, but I am quite looking forward to a change next Monday when I will be wearing my new uniform, which includes black trousers, as a seasonal volunteer at an aviation museum.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pythos,

There's a lot of good wisdom in the above posts. Everybody goes through "up" and "down" times, and in the "down" times most folks just want to blend into the background and hide; this is normal.

With luck, you'll be your old self in a few days' time and back in "unconventional" (by western "society's" standards, at least) garb.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

Pythos,
It's all down to what you feel comfortable in on the day.
I'm sure that you will find all the above encouragement helpful.
Colin.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

pumping yourself up

Post by JRMILLER »

Pythos,
Everytime I go out, I mean everytime I find myself working on my mind prior to the event to pump myself up. People that buck the trend have to have incredible courage to do so, far more than the average bloke. You have already succeeded more than the average guy on the street will ever have the courage to do. Tomorrow is another day, don't beat yourself up over this...
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

skirt instead of trouser

Post by knickerless »

Cessnatowser said
but I am quite looking forward to a change next Monday when I will be wearing my new uniform, which includes black trousers, as a seasonal volunteer at an aviation museum

Have you thought about a black skirt instead of the trousers?

Nick
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Well, Pythos, it is a shame that you seem to FEEL bad about yourself.
I think it may be that you have been pushing yourself too much, and just need a break, to come back to your self.

I myself have been wearing skirts, and dresses non stop bar for one or two days, for the last half year, and the thought of wearing a pair of pants again scares me. Possibly because of the fear of falling back into thge daily grind of easy-ness, as men's attire is often, can be easier, more care free to put on / wear.

That is the risk, after finally late in my life starting wearing skirts in public, I feel not only a wish to do so, but pressure put on to myself to keep it up.

Getting as much skirt time as possible is a goal, but in daily life, ( look at women ) some days we just don't care what we wear, or find other clothes, ie pants more the choice of the day. As long as you are satisfied with who you are, and when wearing a skirt don't care what others say or think about it there should be no problem.

No need to fear. A few days of pants should be enough to entice you to wear a nice skirt again.

Affraid to lose a state of mind? I have moments that I think that, but in my case it is important to persevere, and I enjoy every moment of skirt wearing, so no loss of a state of mind. It is a choice that we have, to wear what we want to every day. Nobody can take that decision form us.

Take a small break, I'm sure you'll be all right.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

Wearing a skirt in a way can relate to partying, yes it's fun for a week or so or doing it every weekend, but after a month or so of doing it. You really just want to take a break and do nothing and not stand out.

Girls/women do this all the time. They go to a club in a skirt a few times, and then finally get the idea that they would like to go to the same club but not quite as flashy so they decide to wear jeans instead of their usual skirt. There's really nothing wrong with doing this, the only time when I would start to complain is when I nolonger had the ability to wear a skirt. Not wanting to live in the fast lane all the time is health and even though I don't really like the phrase too much. Everything in moderation is good.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Have you thought about a black skirt instead of the trousers?
The company secretary suggested I could wear a black kilt instead of black trousers but I think I will give the trousers a go at least for my first day of the season. After all I only work there about 15 to 20 days over the tourism season Easter to end of October.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

skirt instead of trouser

Post by knickerless »

I would ahve gone for option of the kilt and worked up to a skirt. tartan kilt to start with then a plain black kilt and then after a few times a black skirt.
Go on give it a try.

Nick
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Warning: Random ramble.

You know, sometimes when reading threads like this, I occasionally wonder if we're not just possibly losing sight of the notion that we're looking for the freedom to clothe our lower halves in what we see fit, at the times we want to. We all know that skirts make for wonderful garments for men, but how might we feel if we didn't have the "trouser option"? Maybe focussing so tightly on skirted garments to the exclusion of other options isn't so healthy.

Sometimes skirts (or kilts) just don't make a whole lot of sense, and I can certainly see (and empathise with) Cessna's "looking forward" to donning the uniform of the museum he's volunteering time to. That's a great thing. In his capacity there he and his actions may bend some young mind to take up a passion (and later, a profession) in aeronautics -- and that's important. Would the potential "lesson" to said malleable mind be as pronounced if the "malleable mind" had to deal with the "anomaly" of a bloke in a skirt? I can't say for certain, but I suspect that a congenial "father figure" in trousers would be easier to relate to in that setting than some old codger in a skirt (I mean no offence here, so please don't take any).

It's true that I'm a champion for expanding mens' sartorial choices, but it's equally true that I'd not like to see the "choice" shift from one form to another to the exclusion of the first. There's room for skirts and trousers here, and it's up to the bloke in question to make up his mind which one to don in the morning (or at least before going out for the evening).

To touch back to Pythos' angst as originally posted, I completely understand what was going on (or at least I think I do) -- sometimes being on the cutting edge and being highly visible is just too stressful for one to emotionally deal with, and one quite naturally retreats into the shadows. This is normal and healthy behaviour; I suspect it'd be tagged as abnormal if he never felt that way. (By the by, your humble poster is actually wearing trousers at the moment; it's been a bad few days, life has thrown a few nasty shots at me, and I'm just not up to being different at the moment.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!