What is your opinion?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

What is your opinion?

Post by SkirtedViking »

I found this interesting discuission about men's options in shoes and thought that some of you might be interested. Comments are as predicted from positive to narrow-mindedly negative. Here is the link
http://stylebites.blogspot.com/2007/02/ ... thing.html
There is nothing worse than double standard!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Can't say I particularly like to see women tottering about on high heels, never mind men! Still, as my wife's chiropodist says, they're guaranteed to keep him in work!

I can understand why a short person might feel the need for elevation, but I'm sure there are more suitable types of shoe available. High heels (& platforms), allegedly designed for blokes, appeared in the Seventies - good for a laugh, a few broken ankles and lower back damage! :lol: :lol:
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

Elevated shoes

Post by knickerless »

I remember elevated shoes of the early seventies well. I had two pairs both multi coloured and both made me a good couple of inches taller. I think both pairs were a mixture of Blue,yellow,red and a bit of white but in different proportions. Had to buy several tins of coloured polish. They were fun - I wore them to work alternate days but then I had shoulder length hair and pierced ears in those days and was frowned upon by the older workers.

Nick
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Shoes are shoes -- the thing that annoys me anytime one reads an article like this is they drag gender into it and accuse men of trying to look femme for wearing whatever it is the article discusses. We get the same crap with skirts despite the fact skirt like garments have been worn by men for centuries. So, here we go again....
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Elevation

Post by Since1982 »

Well...from the 1870's to the present, COWBOYS have felt the need for high heeled COWBOY boots to turn short cowboys into TALL COWBOYS. I don't think gender ever had anything to do with it, just the need to see OVER the COWS and keep your shoes IN the stirrup instead of them sliding out and dropping the COWBOY on his DUFF amongst the COWS. (COWBOYS falling off the horse and among the COWS tend to trample easily) I've seen COWBOY boots with heels up to 4 inches, boots with silver ornamentation and different colored dyed leathers, lots of fancy needlework and metalwork and no one ever accused them of looking "femme" either. :):) 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Couldn't resist putting a comment - positive of course!

Charlie (who would look up to any man wearing heels :) )
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
matman

Post by matman »

Word to the wise--

Consider that the heel in cowrider (boy-girl/ no matter) boots is very functional. Picture how stirrups work on a saddle and you will appreciate the need for heels for riders. Riding with anything else (e.g. lug soles and/or no heel) may be quite dangerous. RIP GA.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

If the shoe fits, wear it.

Post by Peter v »

As with any clothing, if YOU like it, wear it. If it looks good on you, wear it. If you want to wear it, even if it looks crap, wear it.

Men's fashion definitely needs being extended. Let's get rid of femme discrimination, and say "looking good, AND feeling good. " Something that would fit in the 1970's very wel, and again today also.

Nothing on this planet is for everybody. Not all men wear cowboy boots, not all men wear suits, not all men wear jeans, etc, etc. but for those who wish to wear ssomething else, denied to them by discrimination, go ahead.

Present "women's style" shoes, in all their millions of varietys are very stimulating and for the men who wish to wear them just as great as the army boots or sport shoes other men wear.

Shoes are for everybody who fits them. ( as we have to fit shoes already made ) Only the very few can afford to have shoes made to fit them.

Heels are great. Don't over do the height. Not all women have the right body for heels and so don't all men. I do wear heels now on a daily basis, and am getting used to them. They are definitely not healthy shoes, but with moderation, are for me really great fun. I get enjoyment out of them. I think I would only enjoy men's shoes if they were made to order top quality shoes.

Don't try to live the whole of your life sensibly, safely, healthy, enjoy your life, everything in moderation. Sometimes you can "live on the wildside" or """live """"dangerously"""". Wear heels, if you wish, with care, watch your posture, and enjoy what so many women also enjoy. The kick of wearing all soorts of shoes.

Peter v.
Last edited by Peter v on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Swedish clogs are my preferred footwear for general wear, although not practical for my line of work. They add 2+ inches to my nearly 6'4" height. I'like stilettoes on women, but would not be interested in them myself, although would not rule out a women's chunkier-style high heel if ever any were available in my size. I'd be 6'7"+ with these, but would like them with my long skirts! Alas, not made in my size. (image pilfered from Zappos.com)
sasq
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
DavidsSkirts

Riding boots...

Post by DavidsSkirts »

matman wrote:Word to the wise--

Consider that the heel in cowrider (boy-girl/ no matter) boots is very functional. Picture how stirrups work on a saddle and you will appreciate the need for heels for riders. Riding with anything else (e.g. lug soles and/or no heel) may be quite dangerous. RIP GA.
A 2cm (0.8 inches..) heel is adequate to keep your feet in the stirrups - just look to Dressage boots, Jockeys boots, Aussie style riding/work boots (the most practical general style of riding boots in the world..), "Pony club" boots, where they rarely go over 1" in height - any more is for style, and not practicality.
Heels over 3 or 4 cm will make walking and moving around off the horse or motorcycle a lot more awkward for the great majority of people, as well..

8)
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Cowrider boots

Post by Since1982 »

I've only been on the planet for 66 years and am still naive to certain words and their meanings. What the heck is a "cowrider" or cowrider boot???? Where do cowboys/cowgirls ride cows at? I've seen Bull riders, in which case 8 seconds can be a really long time. Cowboys ride horses and herd cows, some ride bulls for the challenge for 8 secs. I've never seen or heard of anyone for any reason riding a cow. I've known rodeo cowboys, I've spent a lot of time in my youth at rodeos, I've never heard the term "cowrider" before. Perhaps it's a term from Scandanavian countries. Please enlighten me on what it means. Thank you.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

dang, sasquatch! THEM SOME SHOES!
Sasquatch wrote:Swedish clogs are my preferred footwear for general wear, although not practical for my line of work. They add 2+ inches to my nearly 6'4" height. I'like stilettoes on women, but would not be interested in them myself, although would not rule out a women's chunkier-style high heel if ever any were available in my size. I'd be 6'7"+ with these, but would like them with my long skirts! Alas, not made in my size. (image pilfered from Zappos.com)
sasq
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

I left my opinion, and if it seems like there's some disgust in it, it's because there is.

I really don't like it when people who're writing something and supposedly have a brain tell me in one way or another to just "be happy" with what you (I) have.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Sasquatch wrote:Swedish clogs are my preferred footwear for general wear, although not practical for my line of work. They add 2+ inches to my nearly 6'4" height. I'like stilettoes on women, but would not be interested in them myself, although would not rule out a women's chunkier-style high heel if ever any were available in my size. I'd be 6'7"+ with these, but would like them with my long skirts! Alas, not made in my size. (image pilfered from Zappos.com)
sasq
Quite nice shoes, love the design. Although they would be more my choice if the heel was not so extreme high. Half the height, and they would be a lot more practicable for many reasons, and not less fun in my opinion. But for those who can wear them without problems, a great find.

Quite "manly" or otherwise, very suitable for men in my opinion.

peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.