What I like to wear..

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ashly

What I like to wear..

Post by Ashly »

For me it is mostly jeans skirts...I just love em..however, I also like to experiment with all types of skirts as long as they have solid colors and don't look too feminine.
The few times we have cold days here in Miami I might add nude hose and of course a slip..I think, slips are great under skirts, especially jeans skirts and I don't mind the lacy hems...looks somehow cute ;)
Last edited by Ashly on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

You look very natural, in a skirt. The blue (denim) seems to work well with men. It is not often that I read that men like slips, as in under skirt. ( the name slip means over here in the Netherlands, a "brief", or "underpants".

Slips are a article that is hard to find and then there is mot much choice. Or they are very exclusive and expensive. They seem not to be in the fashion here. Most skirts and dresses that need them have them sewn in, and other skirts are worn without, aparently.

I like the frivole effect of the slip under a skirt, and of course, it gives that little bit extra comfort.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Ashly

Post by Ashly »

Peter v wrote:...
I like the frivole effect of the slip under a skirt, and of course, it gives that little bit extra comfort.
Exactly !!..I think, it really is.

BTW..I found most of my slips/underskirts on ebay..My wife told me, I should get my own ;)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have a short (19") half slip that i frequently wear under kilts. I initially bought it as I thought it would make it easier to keep the kilts clean and hygienic without spending hours pressing them.

However I soon discovered that under my denim kilt it made the garment far more comfortable, I'm not a great fan of denim as a fabric. the increased warmth from the slip was an unexpected bonus.

I have taken to wearing it under my just below the knees wrap skirt as it adds significant extra security in blustery winds, if the breeze decides it wants me to "do a Marilyn" the slip provides plenty of additional modesty and avoids me showing off my choice of underwear.

For those in the UK I can advise that M&S have half lips at about £15 in a range of lengths from 19" to about 27" (IIRC) whereas BHS have them for £5! The unlike the M&S garment the BHS version had a lace trim on the lower edge. (I removed the lace as I prefer the smooth feel of the main body of the fabric to the relatively scratchy lace.)

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

It used to be that slips were always worn by the ladies.

They used to come with all manner of lace trim and could be purchased everywhere, from the local five and dimes to the fancy shops.

With the decline in skirt wearing, they are harder to find. The local Wal-Mart has a small selection.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

Not only the decline of skirt wearing, but the times are much more casual now. Some girls just don't want to have something on under a skirt other than the base layer.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

The trends for thge comming season here in the Netherlands are very hopeful, lots of vivid colours, more skirts, a lot of layered tops, tunics.
And many skirts with lace, and camisoles, spaghetti tops with lace, often to be worn over a pants or skirt.

I would love to see the petticoat, slips come back with that new fashion.

I talk often with women store assistents, and feel fully accepted, not merely a man in their store. That is quite pleasant, and makes for interesting fashion discussions.

Of course, I would rather be riding a nice big Harley of my own, along a long road, but I must dream on.

In the meanwhile going about clothing shops is a nice time filler, meeting and chatting with nice people. Feeling very accepted as a man in skirts / dresses without any prejudice.

Peter v.
Last edited by Peter v on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

I also think this is a very stagnant time for most American clothing companies. The types and styles of clothes they have today just don't really look at all fun to wear. Lots of darks and things that just look like a cloudy day. The cuts are also really plain and just boring and something I wouldn't buy for my gf to make her look really nice.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Denim Skirts
The denim skirt with the front zip fastening, or the denim kilt seems to be the way to go for men in skirts. Denim is so unisex anyway. I have been wearing unpleated denim skirts with side vents out and about quite often lately and the very few people who have passed any comment all have been favourable and all have referred to it as a kilt.
Slips
I only started experimenting with slips recently, and still feel a bit uneasy about wearing one. Certainly a good idea for under a lightweight kilt type skirt. Though most days I don't wear one. Some modern kilts just would not work with a slip as they are intended for the front aprons to fall to opposite legs when sitting and a slip would obstruct this natural movement of the outer material. Also some of the men's skirts available from Midas already have an inner nylon lining in a suitable dark colour already attached at the waistband.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

cessna152towser wrote:I only started experimenting with slips recently... ...Some modern kilts just would not work with a slip as they are intended for the front aprons to fall to opposite legs when sitting and a slip would obstruct this natural movement of the outer material.
My black denim Union Kilt works very much as described when sitting. I wear it with a half slip from Marks & Spencer, (the shortest one they had, nominally 19" but it measures nearer 16"). Because it's short it does not have any effect on how the aprons hang when I'm seated nor does it impact on my stride. The slip also provides additional modesty if the wind lifts the apron and it provides a barrier between me and the scratchy denim. I'm not a huge fan of denim, by the time it stops feeling harsh and scratchy on the skin it is worn out.

I'm starting to wonder how I managed in a denim kilt before buying the slip.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce