For thoose who it concerns ...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
CJFMix

For thoose who it concerns ...

Post by CJFMix »

... explain the reason(s) why you do not wear skirts outdoors/in public ???
When you look good , you can go anywhere !!!
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

outdoors

Post by knickerless »

I do - because I want to.

Nick
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Several reasons.

Mostly, because lately my social life has been at home, where I have worn skirts or other freestyle styles.

My curbing of wearing outside is a result of stupid fear on my part. As I am sure you all know I am on my way to a flying career. For some stupid reason the clothing one wears is connected to ones mental stability.

I should not let this concern me, but I have a fear that if I am seen in public out in a skirt, by someone involved with flying, it could work badly for me. I have gotten no clear answers concerning this, and I am deathly afraid to ask someone involved with aviation jobs, is it okay for me to wear skirts outside of the job.

It is an irrational fear, but it is there.

If anyone here knows answers concerning this, it would be a great help, cause I really wanna wear skirts outside the house on a regular basis again.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's one of the reasons that irrational fears are so much more pernicious than rational ones. One can get his head around a rational fear, contemplate it, figure out strategies for dealing with the reasons for it, and get one with one's life. Wit hthe irrational fear there's the added overlay of the unknown which, for many, is vastly more terrifying than even a very scary known.

I feel for guys in this position. Fortunately, I'm in a position where it's my skills that count, not my appearance (although there are those who will dispute that assertion). Even with that, though, I do not wear skirts at work, save for my single "outing" at Halloween last year. So, even for me, there's a ration of "don't rock the boat". Go figure.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

skirting the public

Post by JRMILLER »

I have skirted in public in places where I am not known and I have skirted at contra dances. Out of my respect for my wife's feelings I have not skirted in our local community. If and when I do, I will undoubtedly be known as the rather odd fellow who walks around in skirts. Some will avoid me, many will think me odd, some will think nothing of it.

I already have a reputation for being a bit eccentric with my friends and for the fun of it, I invited one over for dinner last night. I answered the door in a skirt . We had a good dinner, talked our usual chit-chat, the subject of skirt never came up and she never even batted an eye. If she *ever* comes around again, I will know she is a good friend!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Pythos wrote:Several reasons.

Mostly, because lately my social life has been at home, where I have worn skirts or other freestyle styles.

My curbing of wearing outside is a result of stupid fear on my part. As I am sure you all know I am on my way to a flying career. For some stupid reason the clothing one wears is connected to ones mental stability.

I should not let this concern me, but I have a fear that if I am seen in public out in a skirt, by someone involved with flying, it could work badly for me. I have gotten no clear answers concerning this, and I am deathly araid to ask someone involved with aviation jobs, is it okay for me to wear skirts outside of the job.

If anyone here knows answers concerning this, it would be a great help, cause I really wanna wear skirts outside the house on a regular basis again.
Your fear is very understandable, but is it justified?
I see no reason why a pilot should not wear a skirt. But Others may frown on the Idea, especially the idea of "damaging" the image of Pilots.
Probably have to become one first, then try and get around any manditory clothing regulations.
By the way, what do women pilots wear? ...... :roll: :roll: :shock: :wink:

Maybe cessna152towser would have some Id eas on the subject, as if I am not mistaken, he flies himself.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
DavidsSkirts

Reasons for not wearing skirts ??

Post by DavidsSkirts »

Depends on the situation...

For me, the main reasons would be :
* work;
* more extreme weather conditions;
* practical reasons - e.g wearing shorts or tights for bicycling (it is more comfortable - despite what some of the more OCD_inclined writers on here seem to imagine..); or warm tights when skiing;
* if I can go nude in some places and situations, then I will - so then either skirt or shorts are put aside..

Otherwise, I do wear skirts outside, when I can manage to.

8)
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

commercial pilots are governed by a set of "watchdog guidelines" similar to those used by bomb squad technicians.

any sign of possible psychological deviance is cause for concern, and rightly so. these people are responsible for the safety of MANY people, and a mental disturbance is hazardous.

female pilots (and flight attendants) often wear pants. part of this is concern for safety during an emergency evacuation. nylons (usually worn if in a skirt) have been found to cause severe burns when using the emergency exit inflatable slide.

these things shouldn't be an issue if one is flying for a small company or as a private pilot. many small companies simply can't be bothered with dress codes.

perhaps pythos merely needs to get accepted by whomever he wants to fly for, and then he can affect changes once he has his foot in the door?
Peter v wrote:
Pythos wrote:Several reasons.

I should not let this concern me, but I have a fear that if I am seen in public out in a skirt, by someone involved with flying, it could work badly for me. I have gotten no clear answers concerning this, and I am deathly araid to ask someone involved with aviation jobs, is it okay for me to wear skirts outside of the job.

Your fear is very understandable, but is it justified?
I see no reason why a pilot should not wear a skirt. But Others may frown on the Idea, especially the idea of "damaging" the image of Pilots.
Probably have to become one first, then try and get around any manditory clothing regulations.
By the way, what do women pilots wear? ...... :roll: :roll: :shock: :wink:

Maybe cessna152towser would have some Id eas on the subject, as if I am not mistaken, he flies himself.

Peter v.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Post by imadube »

Guess you can say I am sort of an outcast, have been all my life. As a young teen girls thought it funny I looked like the guy on MAD Mag. - wierd because my initals actually do spell M.A.D.
With a life full of always being reminded of how different I was and cast out for it, I guess I don't need the pressure.
I also feel now that my skirt wearing is some sort of Crisis defense or something. Having so many curves in life thrown at me last few years I feel dizzy and lost most days.
I like skirts, my wife likes me in them too. Our kids (from seperate previous lives) don't think ill of it. However I highly doubt I will ever go full public, at home and sometimes in the truck while we work, but never out and about.
I will be lost and confussed forever I think, so many man made contradictions in life, faith and being that only death will ever reveal the truth to it all.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I guess I can easily resonate with imadube, as I am/ was afflicted with the burden of cross lateralism and astigmatism so, in a sport mad school, I was totally useless. I can't get any idea as to which way a ball is coming at me from. Being rather a studious type was also not really on in a neanderthal teenage milieu. SO when people wax lyrical and reminisce about their childhood, I thank God it's over and I am an adult!

Having had to march to the beat of my own drum however, has been a blessing in disguise. I am, therefore quite able to wear skirts out ands about as, really it is not anybodys business but mine and, if people get upset about my clothing choices, I'm sorry but really they have to "get a life" if that bothers or obsesses them :x
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

imadube wrote:Guess you can say I am sort of an outcast, have been all my life. As a young teen girls thought it funny I looked like the guy on MAD Mag. - wierd because my initals actually do spell M.A.D.
With a life full of always being reminded of how different I was and cast out for it, I guess I don't need the pressure.
I also feel now that my skirt wearing is some sort of Crisis defense or something. Having so many curves in life thrown at me last few years I feel dizzy and lost most days.
I like skirts, my wife likes me in them too. Our kids (from seperate previous lives) don't think ill of it. However I highly doubt I will ever go full public, at home and sometimes in the truck while we work, but never out and about.
I will be lost and confussed forever I think, so many man made contradictions in life, faith and being that only death will ever reveal the truth to it all.
Have you ever thought of upheaving one contradiction, by wearing a skirt everytime you can? Doing that for yourself, that is at least one thing that is of your choosing, and doing.

See also sarongman's response.
Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sarongman wrote:[... R]eally [what I wear] is not anybodys business but mine and, if people get upset about my clothing choices, I'm sorry but really they have to "get a life" if that bothers or obsesses them :x
I'll second that notion. We've probably all heard it, if not said it, that "It's just a piece of cloth!", but sometimes that just doesn't seem to be quite enough. Sarongman hits the nail squarely on the head with his assertion that somebody else's problem with what you are wearing is their problem, not yours! (So long as you're not violating any local statutes.)

As far as the notion of childhood being the "best time of your life", from my experience I can flatly state, "hogwash!" I didn't have a particularly bad childhood: my family was mostly kind to me and made sure I had the essentials, made sure I learned things, fostered curiosity in the world around me, and generally did a bang-up job as parents. School stank, especially secondary ("high") school, and I'm especially happy that that portion of my life is securely behind me; like more than a few here (I suspect) I wasn't one of the "popular" ones, I always got picked last for sports, and occasionally got beat up by bullies that I didn't want to physically fight with. My main gripe about being a minor was that I had no real power regarding how I ran my life. Being an adult gives me a level of power over how I live my life, and how I behave towards others; this confers upon me the power to dress as I see fit, so long as I don't needlessly offend by violating local laws.

I believe that Imadube (cute moniker, there) is actually luckier than many here as he already has support and appreciation of those closest to him. If he wishes to "take it to the next level" (out and about in public) he has the power to do so; conversely, he also has the power not to, and that's his personal decision which, being an adult, no-one can (or should) make for him.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: For thoose who it concerns ...

Post by Sinned »

I see it as my purpose on this site to resurrect old threads. My ONE AND ONLY reason for not wearing skirts out of the house is the displeasure of my wife. The opinions of my children, while important, wouldn't stop me from wearing a skirt outside. When pressed my wife admits that she would be "embarrassed". Didn't take it any further than that at the time but will press her a little further next time to find out why she would be embarrassed. I have a holiday coming up at Butlins and think I could talk her around to letting me be skirted some of the time. Whether she will be within a mile of me when so dressed is another question!!!!

I have been outside when she hasn't been around and have even cycled around but admittedly it was dark at the time but there were others around who saw me but they probably didn't realise that I was wearing a skirt because they weren't looking for one.

Sinned 8)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dragearen

Post by Dragearen »

To put it bluntly, fear. I can only safely wear traditional skirts (kilts and sarongs in my case). Other skirts in almost all social circles in my area would be an automatic "gay" label. Not that I mind that label, but I mind the hatred that frequently goes along with it here.

That said, when I can do it, I love it.
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

Dragearen wrote:To put it bluntly, fear. I can only safely wear traditional skirts (kilts and sarongs in my case). Other skirts in almost all social circles in my area would be an automatic "gay" label. Not that I mind that label, but I mind the hatred that frequently goes along with it here.

That said, when I can do it, I love it.
This. It is fear and lack of confidence.
As I am gay, the label is no problem, it is the potential actions of others whose instinct is to hate, that is the problem.