For thoose who it concerns ...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Re: For thoose who it concerns ...

Post by skirted_in_SF »

couyalair wrote:How many people today would know what "deuteromony " was?
Isn't it one of the two types of camel? :hide:
Just the heathen side of me coming out. :)
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

What I find surprising is that in a forum ostensibly populated by open minded folks that there are so many narrow minds. Or minds that have rock solid opinions on matters of which they are totally and unapologetically ignorant.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Are you trying to start a flame war?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Are you trying to start a flame war?
Methinks he already has.

[mod hat on]

Well, I think that this has pointed up that even discussions of religious matter that don't veer into the weeds have the ability to cause troubles. Personally, I find that sad, because one's life is always richer the wider his understanding is -- even if (and sometimes especially if) -- he's briefly made uncomfortable during the experience; after all, look at what we're trying to do with skirts, and, yes, people do notice.

I'd hoped that this experiment would be received well by folks, but apparently not, and once the dust has settled I'm seriously contemplating putting it to a vote of the moderation staff as to whether we should do the grammar-school thing and institute a "zero-tolerance" policy on matters pertaining to religion -- even in the context of skirts.

[mod hat off]

I hate that dratted thing.

On the topic of people noticing, I got a very rude reminder of that when out for a few cold ones with my sailing pal. I was not amused, and remain unamused.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

I have no interest in flame wars. What I would like to know is why is snarkiness from one side acceptable, but even mild objection to it is not?
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

BobM wrote:I have no interest in flame wars. What I would like to know is why is snarkiness from one side acceptable, but even mild objection to it is not?
From a moderator's perspective, thank you for having no interest in a flame war. Those seldom yield benefit to anyone and tend to do lasting damage to the communities in which they happen.

From a practical perspective, I can offer the following observations, and I do not offer them as an excuse for "snarkiness" (not a "real" word, but a very useful one, +1 on the inclusion in the lexicon):
  • There are a plethora of religions around the planet, and not all of them see eye to eye.
  • The ones that historically have caused the most discord have been middle-eastern religions.
  • The ones that have caused the most bloodshed over the course of history have been the organised ones rather than individually-held notions of divinity.
  • The ones that are still causing the most bloodshed and turmoil are those that have arisen from the middle-east.
That, having been said, it's worth noting that a good chunk of what we call "Western Culture" derives most of its belief-systems from middle-eastern religions, bringing with it a bit of tension before rational thought has a chance to take over. This brings us to the focus of the Skirt Cafe: the advocacy of getting skirted garments accepted by the general population in Western Civilisation -- and one of the "problems" we have is a single passage from a single chapter of the Old Testament of a founding middle-eastern religion.

Funnily enough, nobody ever bats an eyelash about the mixing of fibers when it comes to clothing -- but it's in there for the reading. However, a few years back quite the stink was made about Deuteronomy 22:5 when women fought for -- and won -- the right to wear trousers; here we go again. Why is it different now? Why is it alright for women in a Christian context to wear trousers but men not skirts? Where is the logic? (It goes without saying that trousers were likely virtually unknown in Biblical times in the middle-east.)

Finally, it looks like we are our own worst enemies -- and for no rational reason. Organised religions that base their theology on the Old Testament have the right to grouch about D. 22:5 but those who base theirs on the New Testament do not, the Old having been supplanted by the New several centuries ago.

As has oft been said, "It's just a piece of cloth". What possible difference can it make whether there's one hole for legs or two unless there's a compelling practical reason for it?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Thank you Carl, That was such a well thought out and incontrovertible essay that no more need be said about it. I'll say no more lest I start a war. :P :bom:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Re: For those who it concerns ...

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Sinned wrote:...if you take other verses in the Bible then a lot of other things are banned...
A man's hair should be short, and a woman's long.
"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." -- 1 Corinthians 11:14-15
I wonder, then, why Christ is usually depicted with long hair?!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Maybe fashions changed between the writing of the OT and JC's time.

I suppose once the image of JC with long hair became the norm, then if you wanted to paint him you'd have to give him long hair, otherwise nobody would know who your Mr Crew Cut was meant to be. But as we have no idea what length his hair really was, your question is a fair one to ask.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

If Jesus (or Yeshua) was a member of the Essenes, as was John the Baptist, then he very probably did have long hair. Also, it may be worth remembering that the term "long hair" has some cultural connotations, and that pictured in religious iconography was not considered long for the time. The Romans, however, were definitely the Mr. Crew Cuts.
Last edited by Sarongman on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Here's to long hair! And I wonder why everyone doesn't just wear dresses!!
To me they are the best looking and practical body covering on both genders.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

To get back to the original point of this thread, I haven't yet worn skirts outside ( apart from a couple of late night walks ) because of fear of others. Not hatred, at least when wearing a kilt, skirt might genereate some grief, but ridicule. I'm pretty certain work will be OK with it, but I *DO* interact with the public, some are going to voice an opinion, or mock, a lot more will be positive, I feel It's a virtual certainty that some of the girls will like it, I know my GF will.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

In a sample expedition of 1 there was no mocking and I think that 95% of those I passed didn't even notice I was wearing a skirt. I intend making another expedition next Thursday night and walk around for a bit longer in a town centre so I'll get a better impression then. If there's any negative vibes it's more of others thinking that there will be laughing and comments. Yes try ever more public areas to build up your confidence but as for me - I couldn't really give a toss for other people's opinions ( my wife and immediate family excepting ) - I haven't any really close friends. I look on it that other's opinions can only hurt if they have some sort of elevated status in your own frame of reference. Otherwise .... So build up your confidence gradually and go for it - you'll probably be surprised.

Sinned
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Well the rubber tyre sandals I wear are also known as "Jesus boots"!
Here I am in them.
I get no stick from the populance as I get around Auckland in my such attire.
This is also my profile pic on Facebook. There I am "Murray Dick".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.