Nail colour

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Nail colour

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Apparently one of my wife's colleagues has a slightly autistic kid who is being bullied because he likes to wear coloured nail polish. His class (8 year olds) say that it is "gay" to have coloured nails. So my wife piped up to say "my husband wears nail polish". There is a move to get a bunch of dads together to get their nails done as a mark of support: I am hoping to join in.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nail colour

Post by Freedomforall »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:14 pm Apparently one of my wife's colleagues has a slightly autistic kid who is being bullied because he likes to wear coloured nail polish. His class (8 year olds) say that it is "gay" to have coloured nails. So my wife piped up to say "my husband wears nail polish". There is a move to get a bunch of dads together to get their nails done as a mark of support: I am hoping to join in.
That is life changing for a child! So refreshing to hear stories like this.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I painted my nails last month for the first time in years. I left it on until it wore off on its own, even during work.

Many comments were made, nothing bad though, most from customers. A few curious questions, a few general comments, all from women.

It's been worn off for a few weeks now, so far I haven't heard of anything said behind the scenes. Lots of guys paint their nails, I see it all of the time.

In another thread the idea of wearing a skirt in a biker bar was mentioned, and while I haven't done that, I have worked on a dishwasher in a county jail, knowing full well the inmates and jailer could see my purdy nails pressing the buttons and turning the wrenches....

Did it bother me? Not really, but I can't say I never had any bouts of anxiety.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:08 am I painted my nails last month for the first time in years. I left it on until it wore off on its own, even during work.

Many comments were made, nothing bad though, most from customers. A few curious questions, a few general comments, all from women.

It's been worn off for a few weeks now, so far I haven't heard of anything said behind the scenes. Lots of guys paint their nails, I see it all of the time.

In another thread the idea of wearing a skirt in a biker bar was mentioned, and while I haven't done that, I have worked on a dishwasher in a county jail, knowing full well the inmates and jailer could see my purdy nails pressing the buttons and turning the wrenches....

Did it bother me? Not really, but I can't say I never had any bouts of anxiety.

Moon, if you don't mind me asking, what kinds of questions were asked? Comments, so forth.

I have seen more males with painted fingernails than I have men in skirts. Over the years I think I have seen 6 or 7 with painted fingernails.

Male nail painting while it's fairly uncommon, I think it's more accepted than MIS.

On a couple of occasions I have clear coated my fingernails.
But after the second time my wife figured it out what I had done and I had figured I had better stop. I figure it doesn't help my overall situation on her acceptance with the skirt wearing.

Not only that, it's rather time consuming to paint ones nails.
Even if it becomes More main stream, I doubt I will ever regularly paint them. Too much maintenance.
With me it's like painting a tool like a shovel or a saw blade.
Looks good until you use it.

Oh, I also painted one finger nail one time a pale translucent pink to try to cover the fact that I had hit it with a hammer and cover over the purple. It sort of worked.

I found this blog, goes back a bit to November of 2008.
http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2008/11/f ... -nail.html

I'm sure there are more out there, I plan to "read up" on the subject, any other great finds I'll be sure to share.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I've worn clear nail polish for years after a Korean nail shop woman suggested I try it. I've occasionally had people notice, mostly women, and the reaction is either "looks great" or a neutral "oh, ok". But there have been no outright negative comments. I find that the polish, aside from appearance, also help strengthen my nails so they don't crack.

I totally support this boy for doing what pleases him and ignoring the insensitive comments from closed-minded idiots.
Pity

Post by Pity »

I have painted nails most of the time and comments from men are rare, for better or worse. I mostly get compliments from women, which occasionally expands into a conversation about colours and brands. There's a women at work who's a nail varnish enthusiast, so we'll occasionally check in to compare nails and steal ideas :D

Brilliant idea for the dads to paint their nails in support, kids can be so unforgiving...

This week's colour is berries and cream, applied by the steady hand of my partner as opposed to my clumsy efforts!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

My Nails are done at a salon - I wear acrylic/gel polish and its low maintenance - super durable.
It is addictive - my nails are a bit longer than they used to be - and I do like to wear plums/reds/pinks mostly (darker on toes/pedicure).

It takes about 45 mins every 2 weeks to get a backfill and polish - and then they are bullet-proof for another 2 weeks. I go to a nail salon - some require appointments - most salons don't here - so I can slot it in where I have time on any given day.

I'm wearing an oval nail here - but asked for it to be squared off. There are pointed options and well as more squarer styling. Basically you can shape your nail how you feel you want it be.

Cheers
NZF
Poppie

Post by Poppie »

I absolutely love your nails. I love mine long too. I also love that color.
Logjam

Post by Logjam »

(I don’t post here very often, just occasionally swing by and lurk.) But on this one, I gotta comment. OP, if I were much closer, I’d gladly join in in the move to support that young man. For several reasons...

Aside from that, I’m a regular nail polish wearer, for about 10 years now. Always clear gel on my hands, various colors on my toes almost 100% of the time. I get pro mani/pedis nominally once a month. At yesterday’s visit, my nail tech did my toes in an orange and black Halloween theme.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I had gel nails for my birthday (in a nice deep purple), but I wouldn't do it too often, not just because I don't like spending the money, but because it is the devil to get off when you want to do something else.

Personally I avoid red and pink, as being too much associated with female adornment. At the moment I have alternating green and gold, but I am thinking of going all white next.

(And I wouldn't have them that long: they would chew up my computer keyboard, not to mention the piano!)
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:05 am My Nails are done at a salon - I wear acrylic/gel polish and its low maintenance - super durable.
It is addictive - my nails are a bit longer than they used to be - and I do like to wear plums/reds/pinks mostly (darker on toes/pedicure).

It takes about 45 mins every 2 weeks to get a backfill and polish - and then they are bullet-proof for another 2 weeks. I go to a nail salon - some require appointments - most salons don't here - so I can slot it in where I have time on any given day.

I'm wearing an oval nail here - but asked for it to be squared off. There are pointed options and well as more squarer styling. Basically you can shape your nail how you feel you want it be.

Cheers
NZF
Your nails look stunning. Now I have a question: How are you able to play a piano, guitar, or violin with such long nails? I like to play those instruments and also the viola.

John
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

My piano teacher would have had a major fit if she saw
a student trying to play piano with nails that long :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi NZF, Those nails are indeed truly stunning and I assume that you wore a little cocktail dress in the salon while having them done.

To my mind the only thing one could actually do with such nails would be to perch high up on a cocktail bar stool showing lots of leg and fondling a stiff gin-on-the-rocks or similar.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Tom,

Please don't embarrass NZF for his nails. Remember that he likes to wear 125 mm (5 inch) stilettos.
I also have my unconventional choices such as having hair beyond shoulder length and near exclusive wearing of dresses, and for church, makeup and heels. But the highest heels I wear are 90 mm (3 1/2 inch) heels and they are NOT stilettos.

John
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

One thing I have never actually tried is to colour my nails, finger or toes.
Never say never, but an initiative like this would certainly cause serious consideration.
Two reasons, the kid himself but also his mates.
They have to learn to accept other peoples' differences without the negative attitude and here we have a starting point.
That lesson now may just mean a few more tolerant less prejudiced humans in society as a whole.
As for colour, we have a rainbow at our disposal, use it to your heart's utmost desire.
A female neighbour does her toenails for summer in a different one per toe.
Ah, one has a sense of impending inspiration.
Steve.