Shorts under skirts and dresses

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Shorts under skirts and dresses

Post by SkirtsDad »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:55 am Hi Grok

my skorts (I have a few tailored skorts) - they have a skirt front but the rear is like a pair of shorter shorts and there is no skirt bit on the back.

In that sense the tennis/sports skirts I mentioned, by comparison have a full skirt around them - so they are different.

cheers
The skort I have has a skirt all round. However, the term itself seems to have no hard and fast definition and therefore could be used for both....Oxford Dictionary - "Skort: a pair of shorts with a flap across the front (and sometimes also the back) to give the appearance of a skirt."

Looking at sites selling them you will find both, as in these three I quickly looked up:

https://www.asos.com/stradivarius/strad ... ?clr=stone
https://www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger- ... e=63145625
https://www.asos.com/love-triangle/love ... hid-purple
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Yes SkirtsDad,

I have both types - fully skirted and front skirted. The slazenger court skort you linked to is very akin to my asics skirts - which asics call a skirt but really are a skort.

here's are wicked mini skort by a brand I follow 'Pushbutton'...very flattering and very figure defining. There are all manner of variations of skorts/skirted shorts etc...

SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:12 am here's are wicked mini skort by a brand I follow 'Pushbutton'...very flattering and very figure defining. There are all manner of variations of skorts/skirted shorts etc...
Nice, but at £200 in the sale I shan't be getting one. I'll look out for it in the charity shop ;-)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I think we should not underestimate the impact of the mobile phone. In the sense that we gained a whole new word: upskirting. School is brutal and I can easily imagine that skorts have become more popular because of that. Yesterday I heard that children don't even want to shower directly after sports, preferring to wait until they get home, due to worries about photos.

So it's possible there's an age component at work here.
I don't think any of us are in the category that needs to worry about this particular problem though.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:12 am here's are wicked mini skort
I must say I think that is not a skort, but a pair of knickers with a frill around the waist :) Surely even most mini skirts are designed to come lower than the crotch!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I think its still a skort - that is a short under the hem - its just a short pair of shorts.
The whole point is its supposed to be a bit cheeky - kinda tones back a pair of short shorts somewhat.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:12 am Yes SkirtsDad,

I have both types - fully skirted and front skirted. The slazenger court skort you linked to is very akin to my asics skirts - which asics call a skirt but really are a skort.

here's are wicked mini skort by a brand I follow 'Pushbutton'...very flattering and very figure defining. There are all manner of variations of skorts/skirted shorts etc...

I too have Both types of skorts, way more than I should admit to owning. Currently I only wear the front skirted ones in public. I still haven't been able to get my mind to totally let go of having the inseam insurance. If I ever achieve full on skirtedness, I will probably get rid of a few of my less favorite skorts.
That pink number... Yea that's a little bit too short for anyone. That almost seems like it should belong in the swimming suit section. Women complain about being sexualized, but then they will go out and buy a short, skort or skirt like that pink number. Ye can't have it both ways gals.

Getting back more to the original topic. Wearing shorts underneath a skirt or dress would allow for tomboy behavior wearing both would allow the wearer to virtually do anything that they can do in shorts.
The advantage with separate garments is one can look formal, and ladylike in a skirt one moment and in less than 15 seconds remove the skirt and be able to run though tall grass, slop hogs, jump into a creek. So seperate garments are more practical than say just a skort. But with probably even more bulk of additional fabrics, holding in more heat and moisture.

I've had a lot of experience with skirts inside of trousers. ( Definitely bulky and very hot in summer.)
I find it's just a tad easier in a car to slip a pair of trousers off and be in a skirt. than to have to pull the skirt on while seated.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:00 pm I've had a lot of experience with skirts inside of trousers. ( Definitely bulky and very hot in summer.)
I find it's just a tad easier in a car to slip a pair of trousers off and be in a skirt. than to have to pull the skirt on while seated.
Sigh, yeah - in the winter my strategy would be to unzip the skirt and wear it under my jacket, but not all skirts open up enough to be pulled up that high. Nowadays I change in the garage - there is a slight risk - but it's fairly quick and if I'm especially nervous I'll pull the skirt over my pants and remove the pants in my car. But then again this is a whole 'nother topic :D
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:55 am Hi Grok

my skorts (I have a few tailored skorts) - they have a skirt front but the rear is like a pair of shorter shorts and there is no skirt bit on the back.

In that sense the tennis/sports skirts I mentioned, by comparison have a full skirt around them - so they are different.

cheers
they have a skirt front but the rear is like a pair of shorter shorts and there is no skirt bit on the back
This goes back to the original concept of the skort - a garment designed for children - it was called a SCOOTER
the frontal apron sans skirted back. For active children sliding around on slides playing in a sand box and
just simply scooting here and there - not much sense if having that rear apron to get in the way of this activity !

Fashion for the other half knows no end and the scooter was soon made into a skirted skort and was quite
the rage on the tennis court being short - shorter than skirts - and fully modest in most all respects.
The average skort is 1-3 inches shorter in hem length than similar looking skirt.

The skort was a hit - men have their shorts (used to be really short - short like the basketball shorts) and
the other half had their answer - a functional cool crowd pleasing garment adding maybe some frilly
ruffles detailing and shocking color block patterns.

Ignore that modesty man behind the curtain - rules and times have changed -
Heck the original Olympics were in the nude (no cheating here - LOL).

If the shoe fits wear it - - - if the SKORT (SKIRT) fits why not wear it - the old school of gender being
applied to clothing - what a bunch of rubbish !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

A bit mixed on this. I know women (and more specifically, mothers who don't want their little girls flashing themselves in public) would preferred wearing shorts under skirts and dresses. It's simple modesty; it's embarrassing having your underwear displayed for people to see, and little girls should honestly just wear shorts under them, or wear longer skirts or dresses where it isn't as easy for people to get a peak at their under garments. I don't understand why parents allow girls to wear such revealing clothing; it's creepy and disturbing, not cute.

Anyway, if we're going to say that shorts take away from the freedom skirts and dresses provide, then wouldn't this also be an issue with leggings, tights, and pantyhose? Aren't those worn underneath for the same thing?

Skorts are often pretty ugly and unflattering, too. Some actually look like skirts, while others have this stupid fashion design in which the front is a freaking apron, but the rear are shorts. Just wear shorts if you're gonna wear something as sketchy and stupid-looking as that.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Regarding wearing shorts under skirts, I've never done so, but occasionally in the winter time I may wear a pair of leggings for the warmth, and I generally don't worry about the winter breezes blowing my skirt up while wearing them...

That being said, nothing gets my anxiety up like walking across a busy parking lot, and a gust of wind blows in and tries its best to lift my skirt straight up... so I can certainly understand.

Also, length of the skirt has nothing to do with it, I've had skirts down to my ankles struggle to stay down, and skirts above my knee hold their position well even in a stiff wind. I think it has to do with the weight of the material and perhaps the fullness of the skirt.

Regarding the micro skirt in the photo... I'm betting that skirt is illegal in quite a few of our states, especially for men, and for women who don't rate at least an "8" on the purdy scale... :shock: :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:59 pm That being said, nothing gets my anxiety up like walking across a busy parking lot, and a gust of wind blows in and tries its best to lift my skirt straight up... so I can certainly understand.

Also, length of the skirt has nothing to do with it, I've had skirts down to my ankles struggle to stay down, and skirts above my knee hold their position well even in a stiff wind. I think it has to do with the weight of the material and perhaps the fullness of the skirt.
I am sure there are sailing analogies for managing various skirts in wind. I quite like it as it reminds me that I am wearing a skirt ........... it is like a garment with a personality rather than the drollness of pants.
moonshadow wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:59 pm Regarding the micro skirt in the photo... I'm betting that skirt is illegal in quite a few of our states, especially for men, and for women who don't rate at least an "8" on the purdy scale... :shock: :mrgreen:
I am not sure why it would be illegal when ones sees a lot more (or less) at the beach. We had a Prime Minister interviewed on National TV wearing just budgie smugglers. That photo shows just a small portion and with no budgie.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:50 am
moonshadow wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:59 pm Regarding the micro skirt in the photo... I'm betting that skirt is illegal in quite a few of our states, especially for men, and for women who don't rate at least an "8" on the purdy scale... :shock: :mrgreen:
I am not sure why it would be illegal when ones sees a lot more (or less) at the beach. We had a Prime Minister interviewed on National TV wearing just budgie smugglers. That photo shows just a small portion and with no budgie.
Many folks in the US of A, thanks in part to our Puritan heritage, are deeply screwed up regarding matters that relate to anything to do with sex. This creates a whole raft of trouble, both internally and with the way that others view us. It's the basis for all the grief about trans-* stuff, the vast bulk of the Deuteronomy nonsense, and the general hang-ups that are everywhere. It's a mess, and it creates conflicts and bad blood. I wish the country could outgrow it, but I do not see that on the horizon based on the general vector that the society is on.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

It sounds like some of you gentlemen are going commando under your Dresses, Kilts, and Skirts. :wink: :wink:

Under Dresses and Skirts, I wear bike short style underwear, you can get them in various inseam lengths from 2" to 8".
I wear this style of undies to keep my thighs from rubbing and making me miserable.

As to Skorts, I have several different ones that wear. The latest ones are 6" bike shorts with a short skirt attached, the skirt falls about 1" above the bottom of the leg showing the shorts underneath. There are pockets on the side of each leg of the shorts.
I put my cellphone in one and a thin wallet in the other when I'm out running around and don't want to carry a bag.
WhiteSkort.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

phathack wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:40 am It sounds like some of you gentlemen are going commando under your Dresses, Kilts, and Skirts. :wink: :wink:

Under Dresses and Skirts, I wear bike short style underwear, you can get them in various inseam lengths from 2" to 8".
I wear this style of undies to keep my thighs from rubbing and making me miserable.

As to Skorts, I have several different ones that wear. The latest ones are 6" bike shorts with a short skirt attached, the skirt falls about 1" above the bottom of the leg showing the shorts underneath. There are pockets on the side of each leg of the shorts.
I put my cellphone in one and a thin wallet in the other when I'm out running around and don't want to carry a bag.

WhiteSkort.jpeg
I used to suffer from a lot of rubbage between the legs, that was one reason I started to wear skirts full time at home. I was sick of my jeans all ending up hard of crotch or wearing out between the thighs. That is no longer a problem for me now that I have lost three stone, no, now 3 1/2 stone in weight. It's amazing how diabetes can help you lose weight!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!