Centaurs and Mermaids

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.

Centaurs and Mermaids

Postby Daryl » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:39 am

It occurred to me that there is something about the top-bottom division that is ingrained into our eyeballs or visual cortex or whatever, and that this is why I can wear a fairly femme skirt and a fairly masc top and not experience or cause all that much cognitive dissonance. The waist seems to be a dividing line in more than a mechanical way. It even works well for two of the most successful mythological critters, the centaur and the mermaid. (Not to offend any fauns but you guys have pointy ears and horns too.)

Of course Ganesh and Hanuman are examples of head-only animal-human mixes, but the head is the part that is not human so they don't really speak to our situation even though they do indicate that the neck could be the other important dividing point. And that seems echoed in women's fashions where from the neck down a woman may dress almost indistinguishably from a man but still cause little to no sense of visual discontinuity if she is far more stereotypically feminine from the neck up.

This is what happens when I stay away too long and muse too much...
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Return to Freestyle Fashions