Hello from Asia!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
thoth51

Hello from Asia!

Post by thoth51 »

Greeting from sunny Singapore!

I came across a kilt link on the intertubes last week, and several websites later ordered my very first kilt!

So far I've only seen one person here whose signature suggested he was Chinese, otherwise the forum seems to be largely European and American. Even though South East Asia has a rich history of male unbifurcated garments, ie the Malay sarong, Indian dhoti etc, modern Singapore is entirely westernised in its fashion. I expect to draw some looks when I go out in my new kilt.
I'll post my experience when I first wear it outside.
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

Well done. Welcome to the Web-site. I wish you success.
Colin.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

I think you'll enjoy being a trend setter for your area, Thoth. Welcome to the cafe!

Quiet Mouse
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Welcome!

As you say, South East Asia has a rich tradition of MUGs, so that would lead me to hope that kilt or skirt wearing could be more easily accepted there than in most western countries. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Hallo thoth51 and welcome. Some details of yourself would be nice, ie are you asian, or of european / US origin?
Have you worn skirts before etc. Nothing really personal.

It is interesting to hear from someone out there in Singapore, we are getting a bigger network of skirt wearers from all over the world, and that is a very good thing. That helps to better understand how it is being percieved over the world.

Succes with your kilt.
Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Welcome. Singapore is a really modern city although rigid and conservative in some ways, as I hear. Let us know how people react.
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
thoth51

Post by thoth51 »

Oh ok, a little about me and where I live.

I'm a Singaporean of Chinese descent. Just turned a youthful 40. No previous experience of wearing anything kilt-like.

As I said before, fashion in Singapore is pretty much westernised. The Malay sarong has been largely relegated to ceremonial and home wear. The Indian dhoti is still worn in daily life by older Indian immigrants, but fading out among the younger set. Robe-like Chinese clothes never made it here to Singapore, as the local Chinese are mainly descended from southerners of working class with no history of wearing the longer robes.

Even among the younger, hipper population I am surprised that I've never seen any kilt or skirt wearing men. Maybe I don't hang in the right circles.
thoth51

It's here!

Post by thoth51 »

My Amerikilt just came in today and it feels great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Hurrah!

Post by ChrisM »

Looks great, too!

Chris
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Klan?

Post by JRMILLER »

Thoth,
The kilt looks very good and proper on you. You must have at least some Scottish blood to be able to wear it so well -- perhaps the MacKahki klan? :wink:
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
thoth51

Post by thoth51 »

McCheng! :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Wow..... looking really cool in that kilt
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

Yes, it does really suit you well.
Colin.
CJFMix

Post by CJFMix »

Mr. McCheng , you look fantastic !!!

Hope your great looks will inspire others !!!
When you look good , you can go anywhere !!!
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Hi, and welcome from Devon, UK. As others have said, that kilt certainly does you proud. You look very relaxed and confident in it. You'll also get envious looks - enjoy those moments! Wishing you every success. :D