Hello from just north of London Egland

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

Hello everyone just like to introduce my self here.

I am a 45 year old male that has been wearing skirts and kilts for as long as I can remember. Due to the small minoroty of narrow minded individuals that live near by my skirting has to be behind 'lace curtains' sadly one of these is my own Dad who being brougt up in a midlands mining village in the 1940-1950's believes that 'men should be men and women grateful' thankfully that attitude washed over me.

However he also has the attitude that men have no feelings or emotions and sadly that has caused me a lot of pain and led me to drinking too much alcohol and for too long. I have been sober now for 7 years and enjoy my skirts far more now that I don't have to feel guilty about it.

Sadly in my local area there is at least one pervert and until they are sent packing or shuffle of this mortal coil I am trapped. Unless the designers really go full on for manskirts and banish trousers (for both sexes0 for a season we are on to a looser in the medium term.

I also have a number of petticoats that I like to wear under my skirt. It just feels right and I have a thing about lace. Can remember the first time I saw the gypey/ peasent fashions in the late 70's my heart nealy flipped over them. I still can see the luck young lady in a floral skirt, wastcoat, white boluse and her petticoat showing beneeth her skirt.

In short I love skirts/ klits and hate trousers. :P
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Glad you're here Stevelous! :)
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Greetings

Post by JRMILLER »

Hi,
I am a newbie to this group, but not to groups in general.

I have looked over this group pretty carefully and I think you will be very comfortable here.

It's really too bad we can't all live and entirely populate a single small town away from the buffoons and phobia stricken isn't it? We could call it the Village of MIS, LOL.

-john
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

The Social Oppression of Clothing

Post by sapphire »

Once upon a time........

It was a total scandal for a woman to wear trousers. Somewhere I have a photo of my Mom's Mom dressed up in a man's suit. The suit belonged to my Mom's Dad and the photo was taken by my Mom's Dad. The time was about 1917, Gran looked pretty sexy, but then she was a beauty. But it was still a scandal for her to be wearing men's clothing. She couldn't have gotten away with it without my grandfather's support AND protection. BTW, he later dressed her in gowns and showed her off at the opera. He owned the opera house.

Coco Chanel scandalized the world by wearing trousers. She also turned women's fashions around from constrictive to comfortable and fashionable.

Katharine Hepburn scandalized fashion by being athletic and wearing trousers and by being strong.

Little by little, women "freed" themselves from the tryanny of skirts and took to wearing trousers. It was an emancipation.

Now the time is come for men to free themselves from the tyranny of trousers as their only choice.

Whatever gender you are, society still oppresses you in your choices in one way or the other.

Remember, the future King of England wears a kilt, as does his father.

This needs to be a revolution for the Western World.

Why can't we, all of us, regardless of gender identity, band together and support each other in our choises of clothing? Women were enslaved by skirts just as men are enslaved by trousers. Whay not freedom of choice and mutual support and cooperation?
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Welcome to the café stevelous,

I live a few miles west of London and have been wearing a mixture of kilts and skirts for the last couple of years now. I have had no reaction more negative than to be called a scot ( :oops: ) or the occasional wolf whistle that I have chosen not to hear.

I firmly believe that the fact I am comfortable in myself results in others simply accepting my choice of clothing. I needed slightly thick skin for a while with friends and family but they soon came to realise that I had not changed anything except my clothes.

Be true to yourself and you'll find others respect you for it.

Have fun here,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

Welcome

Post by knickerless »

I was originaly from london - now in exile in Swindon

Nick
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Hallo stevelous, welcome, from the Netherlands, this is a smokje and alcohol free cafe, nice and warm in the winter, nice and fresh in the summer, where men in skirts are always welcome, please feel at home.

And if you wear skirts openly, what would the people actually DO? Is it really so bad? :shock: :?

I hope that you will soon be able to go skirted around about without any problems.

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Hi stevelous, I know it takes guts to go out openly, especially in an overtly narrow minded area. Where I am is a good mix, with a traditionally highly conservative population ( funnily enough, the indigenous Aboriginal-[aarh tautology] being the most hostile) well tempered by being a university town with a good mix of overseas students. (see Sapphire's thread on such areas elsewhere!) Sorry about the local pervert, that does out a big spanner in the works. Keep strong and, maybe, one day you'll be out there. Remember, the biggest thing to fear is fear itself. End cliche
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

Yo! I'm also north of London, same kind of age group etc. The times I've been to London in a skirt or kilt have been memorable and have expanded my horizons.

The people who know me see it as an interesting or amusing personality trait, while those who are more rigidly enmeshed in their various phobias and aggressions see it as evidence that I am mentally unstable, especially those who have long depended on my conformity for their own security.

So as always, people see themselves in the world. Take heart, mate; life was never going to be smooth sailing when going somewhere new, or else everyone else would already be there by now. As they say, when it is fashionable to be revolutionary, revolutionaries will find something else to do.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Welcome to the forum. Like you I was too fond of alcohol, but I gave it up three years ago and I regard my kilts and skirts as part of the new alcohol free me. Yes it takes confidence to go out in public at first and if I had never injured my leg and had to wear a kilt because I couldn't get my trousers on, I might probably still only wear the kilt as costume for the occasional special function, in the protective company of my wife. Being forced to go publicly kilted every day for a few weeks showed me it was no big deal. Yes a kilt/skirt may draw unwanted attention when the pubs are spilling out on Friday and Saturday nights but generally nobody will bother you. Indeed I have been approached a few times by other guys, who far from being threatening, complemented me on my choice of clothing and said they wished they had the courage to wear similar as I looked so comfortable.
Last edited by cessna152towser on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Feelings and Emotions in men

Post by Since1982 »

Unfortunately in the US of A, we even have beer commercials that espouse "Real Men" should have no feelings or emotions and if they (heaven forbid) do, a giant Miller Light beer can drops on their heads. Of course you can't really accept beer commercials made by a company that also has commercials showing their delivery persons going IN private stores and taking bought and paid for cases of Miller beer OUT of the stores and putting it back on the trucks with no refunds because they (Miller) doesn't agree with the prices the store charges for all their other things they have for sale.:(

Unfortunately, Miller is one of the largest Spirits purveyors in the USA and many would be "redneck" types take these commercials to be gospel as to how they should treat their spouses and friends. They show "good old boy" types being friendly and here comes the can BOOM! Since these commercials started, there has been a serious surge of violence towards men with feelings or emotions or different choices in clothing styles. Luckily my neck of the woods hasn't been visited by any of these "braindead" types. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/