Hi there!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
christopheruk1

Hi there!

Post by christopheruk1 »

Hi, Chris, mid 30s from London here. New to this site, which looks great by the way and looking forward to getting to know you all. I've been wearing leggings and tights for a while now, usually round the house or under trousers, but been going out in leggings and a long jumper, or with shorts, more recently. I'm really wanting to get into skirt wearing, as I think it looks so good, but just plucking up the courage!

I often also mix it up with other items of male and 'female' clothes, and will often wear a cowl neck jumper with my jeans, or a pashmina shawl instead of a jacket (pashmina is very practical this time of yeay as well as looking great!). I don't consider myself a cross dresser, as I don't want to pass as a women, but want to get to point where I'm confident to wear what ever takes my fancy.

All the best

Chris
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

:)

Post by SkirtedViking »

That is the spirit, whatever you wear you are not a crossdresser as women also ain't.As long as you are gender honest I will never consider you a CD. I wear mostly not so called men's apparel and shoes but present myself as a man.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Hi there! Welcome to the Skirt cafe forum. It is really good to see another member from the UK - the more the merrier. Although - that's quite enough members called Christopher for the moment . . . :wink:

I am sure you will find lots of information and support here. As regards going out wearing a skirt - the best thing is just to do it. Simple as that. Perhaps you could try going somewhere where you feel safe at first - library, museum etc. You will probably be surprised to find out that the sky doesn't fall on your head - and most people (while often taking another peek) don't really pay much attention.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Hallo. Welcome! You seem to have the same taste as I do. And as many men do. I took the step to outside two month's ago and only regret not doing it years ago. There is nothing to wait for. Today is as good a day as ever. But read our comments and satisfy yourself that youre doing the right thing. If you feel good, do it. After a few quick heart beats after going out the door, it's done with.

I talk to many women I meet in shops and many say that they wear what they want to. Mens clothing as wel. Clothing that fits you is your clothing. It's that simple. I am not heavily built, and I fitted a ladies coat the other day, and thought, wel the front closes right to left. And was insecure about that. Today I spoke to a woman who said that If she liked a jacket, mans jacket it didn't matter which way it closes, as long as it fitted well. That is the only way to think, and you are doing that already. Follow your heart.

And for reasurance, we go for a men in skirts image.

friendly greetings,
peter v.
from Holland
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Milfmog

Re: Hi there!

Post by Milfmog »

christopheruk1 wrote:Hi, Chris, mid 30s from London here. New to this site
Welcome Chris,

Despite a few slightly bad tempered exchanges now and then, this is generally a very welcoming and supportive environment full of people I'm proud to call friends (even though I've never met any of them in the real world).
christopheruk1 wrote:I'm really wanting to get into skirt wearing, as I think it looks so good, but just plucking up the courage!
If you've read through the archives you'll have seen that we all seem to feel like that before we go public, but that after the event we all feel we've held ourselves back far too long and should have done it ages ago. My advice would be to pick something that will not shout too loudly, then go somewhere with plenty of people but with a fairly "low testosterone" atmosphere; a supermarket, gallery, museum or similar. I'd probably avoid Twickenham during an England v Wales rugby match...
christopheruk1 wrote:I often also mix it up with other items of male and 'female' clothes, and will often wear a cowl neck jumper with my jeans, or a pashmina shawl instead of a jacket (pashmina is very practical this time of yeay as well as looking great!). I don't consider myself a cross dresser, as I don't want to pass as a women
Sounds like you'll fit right in here.
christopheruk1 wrote:but want to get to point where I'm confident to wear what ever takes my fancy.

Unfortunately there is no substitute for doing it. Every time I go out skirted, I pause by the door but once out I rapidly forget what I'm wearing unless someone reminds me with a comment, almost always positive or plain curious. I've never had a truly negative reaction from anyone and although I've taken a fair bit of leg pulling from friends they soon get over that when I don't let them goad me into reacting outside the normal range of my responses that they are all familiar with. Now they just see me as me and although I may get an initial "see you're wearing a skirt again" they are as relaxed about how I dress as if I were in jeans.

Have fun here and if we can be any help feel free to ask.

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

ChristopherJ wrote:...that's quite enough members called Christopher for the moment . . . :wink:
Can you ever have enough Christophers? I used to have six colleagues called Ian and whenever, confusion caused someone to comment "There are too many Ian's here" we'd all point out that you can't possibly have too many Ians (even if some spell their names differently). :D

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
christopheruk1

Post by christopheruk1 »

Thanks to you all for the warm welcomes and good advice for a newby. I'm planning my first skirt wearing outing at the latest before Christmas, so going to a museum/library or supermarket sounds like a sensible start (I've got the fun of buying one first!). I'm sure I'll be on here looking for further guidance!

I was pretty convinced that I wasn't alone and now am sure I'm not (took me a while to come across the site though). javascript:emoticon(':lol:').

Speak soon

All the best, Chris[/quote]
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

I know it's not strictly kosha, but Halloween is a very good time to be 'out and about' (too long to wait 'til December!) in a skirt. As most folk will assume you're en route to/from a party somewhere, and when necessary, you engage in perfectly 'normal' conversation, you'll be surprised how easy it becomes to forget what you are wearing (for them, as well!). It also becomes a very positive for those you encounter, too! Just act natural! Next time you meet, they'll just think, "Oh, it's that nice bloke who wears a skirt!" :wink:
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Christopheruk1 ! Welcome aboard the magic bus!

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
crfriend
Master Barista

Kosher or not...

Post by crfriend »

[...]Halloween is a very good time to be 'out and about' (too long to wait 'til December!) in a skirt.
Actually, if one is "looking for an excuse" to get out and about in a skirt, Halloween is a great time to do so because there's a built-in "excuse". Yes, it's a bit of a crutch, but if it helps build confidence for the long term it's a win.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
christopheruk1

Halloween it is

Post by christopheruk1 »

Looks like you guys have convinced me! I'm off to look for a new skirt for the occasion and i'll let you know how it goes.