If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Hallo, i'm a man, 52 now, living in the Netherlands and wear skirts.
I'm a relative newcommer to wearing skirts in public, as I have only begun on the third August 2007. I wear skirts practically every day now.
And it is really enjoyable. As Kilts, Utilikilts and the like are not readily available in shops here, and can only be bought via internet, I buy various skirts which of course were made for women, but of a neutral model so really are unisex. Many of which are Denim / Jeans material.

As I wear other than the well known Kilts, I have found that it is more important to pay more attention to the other clothing I wear with them so that I am always neatly dressed. I also wear pantyhose when the temperature is colder. Like wearing the right tie with your suit.
With jeans trousers you can wear virtually anything.
So having to think about what to wear is really challenging but fun for me.

I think that men should have more freedom to dress as they please ( no obscene things ofcourse ) without any form of prosecution. Especially skirts, which is a breakthrough in mens fashion.

Seeing a man wearing a skirt in the Netherlands is still a very rare scene. Even though many people outside of Europe think that Amsterdam is the Netherlands, that is of course far from the truth. Some other skirt wearers and myself are trying to get skirt wearing by men out of the taboe here that many feel it has. The biggest problem is for men to be able to wear skirts to, from and the big problem, at work.

Happily I have only had positive comments and find that people are very understanding and tollerant, as it should be, to seeing men in skirts.

Peter.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: New member

Post by crfriend »

Peter v wrote:Hallo, i'm a man, 52 now, living in the Netherlands and wear skirts.
Welcome, Peter. I hope you find the SkirtCafe and enjoyable and pleasant place.
I think the "challenge" is actually part of the fun. I went for years by just chucking on the same dull stuff I'd chucked on the day before (rotating pieces, but all the pieces seemed to look the same); now I have to think about what I don -- and I like it!
Seeing a man wearing a skirt in the Netherlands is still a very rare scene.
There's another chap from the Netherlands here. His on-line moniker is "kiltair"; he's well known, and has been advocating fashion choice for men for quite some time. I'd call out his real name, but I'd mangle the spelling so badly it'd embarrass everybody involved. ;)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Welcome Peter V!

I hope you enjoy your time on here.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Hello Peter - I will add my welcome to that of the others.
As I wear other than the well known Kilts, I have found that it is more important to pay more attention to the other clothing I wear with them so that I am always neatly dressed. I also wear pantyhose when the temperature is colder. Like wearing the right tie with your suit.
I have found exactly the same thing. For all of my adult life I have simply thrown on whatever clothes were clean and not creased too much - usually jeans and t-shirts. But wearing a skirt has forced me to pay more attention to what I wear. Also like you, I find this quite a challenge - but also great fun.

If I can steal a quote from a film and amend it slightly . . .

This is not a skirt . . . it's an ADVENTURE!! :)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Peter v wrote:Hallo, i'm a man, 52 now, living in the Netherlands and wear skirts. Peter.
Hi Peter! Great to have more Netherlands input! I've only just returned home (UK) from a week over there, staying in Roosendaal & Heerlen. As you say, it is very rare to find a skirt-wearing man. The only place I have seen anyone has been in/around Amsterdam (oh! and Schiphol airport, of course!), and always (so far) ankle-length. Only on a few occasions when I was by myself (my wife is OK with the principle, but at only home! :( ), Amsterdam is the only place I have worn a skirt in the Netherlands. The only reaction I got was a car pulled up, the driver asked, "Are you English?" and then drove off! :? There are a lot more girls/women wearing skirts (in the Netherlands) in the last couple of years than used to even 10 or 20 years ago. If they wear them, it will help us too, do you agree?
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

merlin wrote:
Peter v wrote:Hallo, i'm a man, 52 now, living in the Netherlands and wear skirts. Peter.
Hi Peter! Great to have more Netherlands input! I've only just returned home (UK) from a week over there, staying in Roosendaal & Heerlen. As you say, it is very rare to find a skirt-wearing man. The only place I have seen anyone has been in/around Amsterdam (oh! and Schiphol airport, of course!), and always (so far) ankle-length. Only on a few occasions when I was by myself (my wife is OK with the principle, but at only home! :( ), Amsterdam is the only place I have worn a skirt in the Netherlands. The only reaction I got was a car pulled up, the driver asked, "Are you English?" and then drove off! :? There are a lot more girls/women wearing skirts (in the Netherlands) in the last couple of years than used to even 10 or 20 years ago. If they wear them, it will help us too, do you agree?
I agree with you. The more skirts the merrier. Ther are more pants than skirts in the shops. I wear mostly skirts just above or under the knee. I would wear shorter skirts, but only have one, skirt length 40cm, but that length is a bit dicey. :oops: Might wear it this winter with leggings. :P
A skirt of about 45cm would be very nice. But they are hard to find under the 50 euro's. Full length skirts to the ankles are VERY hard to find in the shops. Nearly nonexistent. And hey Who's wearing the pants I mean the skirt in your house? :shock: :? 8) :P :P :P Wear a skirt whenever YOU Like! :roll: :wink: :wink: :lol:
Peter.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.