Introduction

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Introduction

Post by sapphire »

After hanging out in lurkerville, I've had my uid activated and would like to introduce myself.

Since I've already been outed, I'll come clean. I'm "Mrs. CRFriend" and my name is Diana.

I became interested in this forum as my husband's interests in skirted garments continues to grow. I'd like to particapate and learn more about your feelings regarding skirted garments, styles, fabrics and other garments to wear with skirted garments.

I'll start sharing my thoughts and experiences at the beginning: when Carl stated that he wanted to wear a skirt.

IN THE BEGINNING
I was out of town at a conference and during one pf our phone calls, Carl asked if he could use a discarded curtain and make it into a skirt for himself. I said OK. What I thought was "How odd. At least he'll learn to sew".

The skirt turned out pretty well and he looked pretty good in it. Next, he wanted to borrow one of my heavy cotton gored skirts and I agreed. Things escalated and soon he was into a lot of my skirts and even bought a few for himself.

There have been a number of positive outcomes from Carl's skirt wearing:
Carl is more cheerful.
Carl actually cares about how he looks.
We have something new to talk about.
Some of those skirts needed mending and Carl mended them.

By all can not be goodness and light.
Carl doesn't always put things back where he found them. On a somewhat regular basis I have to ask him where he put my clothing.
Carl looks better in my skirts than I do.

Thank you for letting me join your Cafe. I look forward to chatting with you.
Diana

Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Hi Diana, welcome from Australia! My S.O. is safe from my depradations as she is a size smaller than I am. Sarongs and wrap pants, however, are one size fits all so there is, at least something we can share together :)
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Sarongs

Post by sapphire »

Hi Sarongman,
WHat is the proper way to wrap/tie a sarong? I've seen various options and have never mastered the art myself.

Additionally, does anyone know the art of the sari? I'd like to experiment with both of these in both male and female forms.
Diana
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Introduction

Post by AMM »

sapphire wrote:There have been a number of positive outcomes from Carl's skirt wearing:
Carl is more cheerful.
Carl actually cares about how he looks
I notice what was first on your list. I think Carl is quite lucky to have someone to whom how he is feeling is so important.

(One might think this would be the norm in intimate relationships, but unfortunately, it is not always so.... :( )

-- AMM
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

sapphire wrote:... all can not be goodness and light.
Carl doesn't always put things back where he found them.
Skirted men aren't perfect? :lol: I thought maybe I had a defective one or something. :wink:

Diana, I am enjoying your tone already, many hearty welcomes to posting at the SkirtCafe. I believe you and Carl are the first posting couple, at least that I am aware of, and that is going to be an interesting thing to see two perspectives of the same situation. You also have some great taste, few curtains outside "The Sound of Music" would successfully make the transition to good looking skirts.

Quiet Mouse
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

It is so wonderful to have you here! :D

Another voice... another perspective

Thanks for your nice story about your skirted man... and yourself.
It is one of the happier stories I've read on the subject (men in skirts and their wives, in general, not you two specifically :wink: ).

I've posted links to sites with pictures on tying the pareo/sarong before, but I recently found this excellent video on men's and women's styles.
This has to be the best guide I've seen yet!

Have fun with your practice.
I know I'll be wearing one of my batiks tomorrow to school.
I think I'll try out one of these styles.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-tie-a-sarong
WSmac
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I don't think I can better those instructions in the videojug site except to say that, in Indonesia, men wrap the traditional kain panjang (long cloth) anticlockwise and women clockwise. Men pleat concertina style at the front so as to have stride room, women wrap to a style that works as a tight skirt. We just wrap tightly and roll out. As you get used to doing it, they become more secure, though a belt in the roll does wonders for confidence :wink:
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

I figured out a foolproof way to keep a sarong on, and I'm a bigger fool than most. Consulting experts about problems with tying sarongs have often, until now, only been dealt with by threats of reprisals. Sadly it's a tale we hear all too often these days.

Well, what you do is wrap it around, obviously, and tuck the end in. Wait! Don't race off yet -- then take a big kilt-type safety pin and push it out from the inside through both layers, near the top where it is tucked in (still with me? <imagines class of 30 people with sarongs half wrapped around them, waiting patiently>) and then kind of fold the pin over and push it down vertically, so that the curved head sits perfectly over the top edge of the sarong!

Perfectly invisible -- holes too small to notice in the future -- and it will stay on while you cut down trees, attend barbeques, or give speeches on the state of the European Union. Or all three!
Last edited by iain on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Diana,

Welcome to the forum. Carl has great fashion sense, and I am sure you played your part! :D

It's always great to have female perspectives on what we do (and are seeking to do), so I look forward to your posts with interest. What with Quiet Mouse and Emerald Witch, this café is becoming unisex - about time! :wink:
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Diana,

Welcome to the forum. Carl has great fashion sense, and I am sure you played your part! :D

It's always great to have female perspectives on what we do (and are seeking to do), so I look forward to your posts with interest. What with Quiet Mouse and Emerald Witch, this café is becoming unisex - about time! :wink:
Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

sapphire wrote:After hanging out in lurkerville, I've had my uid activated and would like to introduce myself.

Since I've already been outed, I'll come clean. I'm "Mrs. CRFriend" and my name is Diana.
Hello, Sapphire! (May I call you that? I think us jewels need to shine forth together!)

(Witchcraft is entirely optional. Mwahaha!)

I'm really glad to meet you. I'm happy to hear your story, and so pleased that it is such a positive one!

I hope to hear a lot more from you in the future. This board can use a little female influence, I think! (Hey, they went to the trouble to make us a lounge all to ourselves! We should go in and decorate it or something! Got any curtain ideas?)

--Emerald Witch
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Bejewelled

Post by sapphire »

Hi Emerald Witch,
Pleased to make your acquaintance!

Yes, you may call me Sapphire (my birthstone)

Sapphire
(fwiw - I have studied Wicca)
Annjej76

I'm new

Post by Annjej76 »

Hi all

I was informed that this group existed on Eddie Izzard's message board. Thought I'd join. I'm 31, female and live in Denver. I personally find men in skirts, or other "female" type clothing very attractive.

Hope you are all doing well.

Annje :D
skirtedsailor

Post by skirtedsailor »

Hello Annje and welcome to the board!
luvtoskirt

Post by luvtoskirt »

It is great to see more guys and women sharing their thoughts here on men wearing skirts. I just wish it was more a common occurance in public. I live in Calif, and it is suppose to be so liberal and more free spirit and I never see another guy in a skirt. I just wonder what it is going to take for it to become at least a occurance.

Tony