Newbie here....Hi

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Lifeboatkeith

Newbie here....Hi

Post by Lifeboatkeith »

Hi all.

Im a newbie, just got my activation today, love wearing my gfs skirts when she's at works and love seeing guys in skirts and especially tightsor stockings.
Departed Member

Re: Newbie here....Hi

Post by Departed Member »

Lifeboatkeith wrote:Hi all. Im a newbie, just got my activation today, love wearing my gfs skirts when she's at works and love seeing guys in skirts and especially tightsor stockings.
Does your gf approve of you wearing her skirts, then? Why not just buy your own? You've only got to accidently tear/rip/damage one of hers to be in BIG trouble, you know! :wink:
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

Yes, what Merlin said... don't want to wind up in that lifeboat all alone do you? :lol:

If you are not sure how she will take to your wearing a skirt you could...

- just ask her straight out
- wear a towel around your waist while exclaiming, "Gee, now I know why guys like wearing skirts like kilts, sarongs, sulus, etc., this towel-skirt is SO comfortable!"
- find pictures of men in skirts and leave them lying around the house for her to see. David Beckham in a sarong, Samuel Jackson in a kilt, anyone one of us here! :D
- tell her you really want a utilikilt/amerikilt/bearkilt (I haven't been shopping lately so some of these might not be around anymore), but since they cost so much you want to make sure you like wearing a skirt... "could I just wear one of yours around inside to 'check it out'? "
- make up your own method here
WSmac
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Hi Keith, welcome to the cafe. I kicked off skirting with my wife's skirts (forbidden fruit and all that), but soon acquired my own - well actually they're her cast-offs from when she lost a lot of weight :D

I just find skirts so comfortable and so much fun - hope you do too.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

What they all said!

Hi Keith. One of the main things that I was determined to stick to right from the start regarding my choice to wear skirts sometimes was that I would not hide it. I knew that I did not want to engage in any "in the closet" sort of hidden behaviour or live a life of secrets.

It's great to wear skirts or kilts etc. - and in my opinion, it is even better to wear them openly. So - perhaps you could have a chat with your girlfriend, as others have said - and start buying your own skirts!

Whatever you do - welcome to the forum.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WSmac »

AAAACK!
I forgot... WELCOME Keith!

Does anyone here ever wonder what the girls do with our clothes when we're not at home?
:twisted:

other than throw away the old sentimental _______ we want to keep
WSmac
Lifeboatkeith

Post by Lifeboatkeith »

Thanks for all the greetings guys, my gf is a bit prude and would kick me out for definite if i mentioned that I like to wear skirts, for now I think i'll keep it my secret until I feel the time is right

Thanks again

K
crfriend
Master Barista

Secrets

Post by crfriend »

Lifeboatkeith wrote:[..] my gf is a bit prude and would kick me out for definite if i mentioned that I like to wear skirts, for now I think i'll keep it my secret until I feel the time is right
First off, welcome.

You should bear in mind that secrets have a way of leaking out. If you live together, sooner or later she'll catch something odd in the laundry. A mutual acquaintance might accidentally "let slip" on the matter. She might come home early sometime and get one heck of a shock. Vectors for "leaks" are legion.

Really, it's much better to be above board with things; it's all about trust and understanding. Hiding "in the closet" (unless that really turns you on) is more damaging in the long run than just being yourself in the real world.

Too, it's not so much a matter of being a "prude" or not -- it's a matter of having an open mind and being willing to question the status quo. Western civilisation (some would, fairly accurately, callit "Puritanical civilisation") tends to be very rigid when it comes to fundamentally unimportant things like dress styles -- and that's something to be actively questioned and challenged. So long as one's "private bits" are covered, and one is warm (or cool, pick your climate) and comfortable it really oughtn't matter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Yep to all the above. Especially if you love seeing guys in skirts and stockings...she won't go for that I would think. Like my girlfriend says, you gotta stick up for your own beliefs. If you have to keep it a secret, that's not a healthy relationship IMO.

binx
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Hiccup!

Post by binx »

Yep to all the above. Especially if you love seeing guys in skirts and stockings...she won't go for that I would think. Like my girlfriend says, you gotta stick up for your own beliefs. If you have to keep it a secret, that's not a healthy relationship IMO. Update: I got an error on the first post, so excuse the double post, and no way to delete it it seems...and OBTW, welcome Keith!

binx
Last edited by binx on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

ChristopherJ wrote:One of the main things that I was determined to stick to right from the start regarding my choice to wear skirts sometimes was that I would not hide it. I knew that I did not want to engage in any "in the closet" sort of hidden behaviour or live a life of secrets.
Agreed 100% Hiding it suggests furtiveness and doing something wrong. Being up-front and 'in yer face' pulls the rug from under most of those who will criticise, as in: 'See that guy over there? Well, I've heard that he wears skirts - titter titter' And so the rumour spreads and, like Chinese whispers, gets embellished until eventually the poor guy has gained a totally undeserved reputation.

The 'See that guy over there?' scenario happened to me at work. The easiest way to nip it in the bud was to wear a modern kilt (Union kilt) to a works social function - a skittles match. This was to demonstrate to colleagues that yes, I do wear skirts, but not in the way they thought. Since then I've worn kilts to other works social functions with no adverse reaction.

Charlie
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WSmac »

Hehe Binx, I guess if it's worth saying once.... it's worth saying twice? :D

Keith,

I hope you don't get to feeling we are all preaching to you, or 'getting on your case'.

I think you can see this is all coming from personal experience.
Although my little list in the beginning seems comical, it actually is pretty valid.
There are many ways to initiate or educate your GF about men wearing skirts.

You know her, think about the ways she might be most accepting when hearing about men-in-skirts.

If you/she have strong religious feelings, perhaps finding a few quotes from your particular religious text concerning men and their skirts, could help.

If it's more of, "In America (if that is where you are) men don't wear skirts!), then take it from the perspective of kilt-wearing perhaps.
Although, I think for some folks it is still quite a leap-of-faith going from guys in kilts to guys in other sorts of skirts.

You can find many references here and in the old Tom's Cafe, to men who wear skirts in other countries.
Some of these skirts are: sulus, sarongs, dhotis, etc.

Find yourself a 'manly' sarong and just start wearing it around the house, indoors, at first.
If your girlfriend asks, just tell her the truth... you are comfortable in a sarong.
They are pretty cheap and depending on your build, easy to find.
I have had numerous women tell me, "My husband wears a sarong when we're on vacation to Hawaii.". I guess it just doesn't dawn on them that a sarong could be just as comfortable back home also. :roll:

You are going to see it here, again and again, that you should find a way to come out with your interest in wearing skirts.
Hiding it and having it come out later either accidentaly or on purpose can cause major problems in any relationship.

You do not want your GF to wonder why you 'hid' this from her all this time, nor do you want her to wonder what else you are hiding from her and how/when she will find out.

As painful as it may seem to be now, it will only be more painful the longer it takes to come out.

There should be no shame in you wanting to wear a skirt. There are only a small handful of countries in this world where a man is seen in a negative light if he is wearing a skirt... think about it.

Here in America, home of the 'free' and the 'brave', men are scared to wear clothing that is totally acceptable elsewhere in 'lesser developed' countries.
Such a sad mindset, isn't it?
WSmac
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

A new housemate just entered the Big Brother house (UK) today - wearing a kilt. Nobody said a thing - apart from one guy already in there who just said "you look great!".

Kilts, at least, are becoming very widely accepted - and so they can provide a relatively non-controversial way of introducing the topic of skirts into any conversation. Of course, they can also be a great way of becoming unbifurcated for the first time!
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Welcome to the forum. It will be much better once you are able to come out in the open about this. One of the reasons I rarely post here now is that I have found it is no longer an issue. Most days I now wear a kilt, not always traditional tartan kilts, as I often wear my two Freedom Kilts and my two denim Union Kilts and a box-pleat camo. skirt from Midas clothing, all of which I find I can now wear openly and confidently without attracting attention or adverse comment. In fact sometimes I wish I could be more conspicuous - twice recently I have stood in a queue wearing a drab single colour kilt then when I reached the head of the line the sales assistant failed to notice me and served the garishly dressed person behind me first.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/