new to site

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

MtnBiker
Are these invisible skirts pleated? Straight? A-line? Does it matter?....
The skirts that attract virtually no attention are the straight, just-over-knee-length ones. I have three of these - all dark blue - two are the very standard style that has been around for decades and the third is a darker hue, panelled and almost pencil straight (bought from Marks & Spencer about 3 years ago).

I have a mid-calf length 'A'-line one from George, but that gets noticed, as does my knee-length brown corduroy from H&M - an 'A'-line skirt with a tie-waist. That doesn't mean to say that I don't wear these out-and-about, because I do. But I have worn my straight denim ones out shopping, taking the dog for a walk, on trains and buses, at the dentist and even at the pub. Reaction - ZILCH!

Stu
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I would be interested to know how men get on wearing a denim skirt of this length and whether you get the same experience as I get with my knee-length denims - i-e- a complete zero reaction - no different to as if you are wearing a pair of jeans. I suspect you would be far more conspicuous, but I am willing to be proved wrong.
I've got 3 or 4 denim mini skirts. The shortest is 12 inches - which is VERY SHORT. The others are a more reasonable 13 to 15 inches.

I don't get a complete zero reaction - but I get a far smaller reaction than perhaps most people would expect. Usually this only comprises of a rapid visual double-check - along the lines of "is that guy really wearing a skirt". And that's the end of it.

There are some exceptions, of course. Nobhead teenage boys sometimes try and be funny - and teenage girls can be even worse. But, for me, bad experiences have been very rare so far.

I don't mind being conspicuous. I'll have plenty of time to be inconspicuous when I am dead.

To me - and I do realise that some people might find this odd - a knee length or calf length skirt looks far more feminine on a man than does a mini skirt. So (at least to my eyes) I look more "manly" in a mini skirt than I would in a longer one - and that's one reason why I wear short skirts. Other people may have different views about this - and that's fine. We all work out for ourselves what works and what doesn't.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

ChristopherJ wrote:To me - and I do realise that some people might find this odd - a knee length or calf length skirt looks far more feminine on a man than does a mini skirt. So (at least to my eyes) I look more "manly" in a mini skirt than I would in a longer one - and that's one reason why I wear short skirts. Other people may have different views about this - and that's fine. We all work out for ourselves what works and what doesn't.
As a newbie to this forum, I found that absolutely fascinating, that one can look more "manly" in a miniskirt than in a longer one. Do you think that's because short skirts are mistaken by the public at large as shorts while longer skirts are unmistakable as a "women's" garment? I'm curious to know if others here think that way.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Maybe it's because a mini skirt shows more of our (manly) bodies.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

As a newbie to this forum, I found that absolutely fascinating, that one can look more "manly" in a miniskirt than in a longer one. Do you think that's because short skirts are mistaken by the public at large as shorts while longer skirts are unmistakable as a "women's" garment? I'm curious to know if others here think that way.
I honestly don't know Jeff. I can only say what my own perception is - and that is not so much that I think short skirts look 'manly', but that ON ME, longer skirts seem to make me look more feminine that I am comfortable with. Other guys look great in longer skirts. I don't. It must be all to do with body shape, leg length and general skinnyness, I guess.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

ChristopherJ wrote:
I honestly don't know Jeff. I can only say what my own perception is - and that is not so much that I think short skirts look 'manly', but that ON ME, longer skirts seem to make me look more feminine that I am comfortable with. Other guys look great in longer skirts. I don't. It must be all to do with body shape, leg length and general skinnyness, I guess.
Most interesting. Perhaps body style does indeed have a lot to do with that perception. I'm 6-2 and (as of yesterday) weigh 201 pounds, so my physique would be more along the lines of slender or average. While I like the way I look more in a long skirt than a mini, it never occured to me to consider whether one look is more "manly" or "feminine" than the other. In the end, it all depends on the eye of the beholder.
Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

JeffB1959 wrote:
ChristopherJ wrote:To me - and I do realise that some people might find this odd - a knee length or calf length skirt looks far more feminine on a man than does a mini skirt. So (at least to my eyes) I look more "manly" in a mini skirt than I would in a longer one - and that's one reason why I wear short skirts. Other people may have different views about this - and that's fine. We all work out for ourselves what works and what doesn't.
I would like to reply to both posts here.

This is a tricky one for me. Everyone here knows how much I love skirts on men. But miniskirts are so sexy that I have difficulty commenting. Just like men often find miniskirts distracting on women, I find them quite distracting on men. I have trouble focusing on men's eyes, kind of thing... you know? The mind wants to wander south...

"That !#$!@#%$ skirt is so !@#$ SHORT!!! GEEZ!!!"

All said with appreciative mental overtones, but nevertheless... not hearing a darned thing you may be saying to me.

So, welcome David30101! But forgive me that I had to look up your name twice.

I'm really a nice lady. Can't help it that I have a weakness. I'll go try to behave now.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

But miniskirts are so sexy that I have difficulty commenting. Just like men often find miniskirts distracting on women, I find them quite distracting on men. I have trouble focusing on men's eyes, kind of thing... you know? The mind wants to wander south...
I nearly fell off my chair giggling when I read that EmeraldWitch. I've often noticed that women have wandering eyes . . .

I always thought that they were looking at my belt - which I have loved wearing for over 35 years now. But now I am beginning to realise that they were probably looking at my bum! Some women have no shame! Thank goodness.
Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

ChristopherJ wrote:
But miniskirts are so sexy ... I have trouble focusing on men's eyes, kind of thing... you know? The mind wants to wander south...
I always thought that they were looking at my belt... But now I am beginning to realise that they were probably looking at my bum!
Ah, the innocence of youth... Makes me just want to pat the little tyke on the head.

(Sorry, it's just that was such a cute puppy-dog statement. SO immaculately naive.)

BTW, FWIW, I would not happen to be thinking about your bum.

Now, please, gentlemen... let's not talk about this anymore. And PLEASE don't let's go throwing up lots of pictures of yourselves in miniskirts! This is not a game of "Let's all see how badly we can freak Emmy out!" I actually do prefer things to stay dignified, thank you, and I believe things are seriously sliding off the edge of reason here.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

You're right EmeraldWitch - I was just being playful. I hope no-one took offence.

Nevertheless, I agree with your general point that a mini skirt on either a man or a woman does seem to have rather more sexual overtones than does a longer skirt. On women, this is generally regarded as being OK. On men, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing - as I realise that some people may find short skirts offensive anyway - and so may regard a short skirt on a man as outrageous. But - in respect of MIS, a few people are always going to be upset.

My attitude toward this whole issue is that I try hard to act with dignity and respect for others while I am wearing a short skirt. This just means that I am careful how I walk (up stairs, for example) and sit down etc. It's not hard for me to do and I am sure that it makes it easier for people to accept me and what I wear.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

ChristopherJ wrote:Nevertheless, I agree with your general point that a mini skirt on either a man or a woman does seem to have rather more sexual overtones than does a longer skirt. On women, this is generally regarded as being OK. On men, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing - as I realise that some people may find short skirts offensive anyway - and so may regard a short skirt on a man as outrageous. But - in respect of MIS, a few people are always going to be upset.
To throw in my two cents worth, it might also be worth adding that since most of society considers the notion of men wearing articles of clothing generally associated with women as being odd at best, revolting at worst, and a guy in a miniskirt would be seen as either peculiar or flat out offensive, regardless of how tasteful the presentation might be. It's overcoming that long established mindset that we have to accomplish, and, in some ways, miniskirts won't help the cause.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

To throw in my two cents worth, it might also be worth adding that since most of society considers the notion of men wearing articles of clothing generally associated with women as being odd at best, revolting at worst, and a guy in a miniskirt would be seen as either peculiar or flat out offensive, regardless of how tasteful the presentation might be. It's overcoming that long established mindset that we have to accomplish, and, in some ways, miniskirts won't help the cause.
But they're all out of Burkas at my local store! :roll:

Hee . . . hee . . . - alright, I'm just poking fun. To my mind, the people who have some visceral objection to the notion of a man wearing a skirt will not be influenced in their opinion by the length of the skirt. If you are suggesting that I - and other men like myself who like to wear short skirts - should pander to the prejudices of people such as this by dressing in such a manner as to try to placate them or to minimise our 'offensiveness' - I would just say - forget it. I'm not going to do that.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

ChristopherJ wrote:
But they're all out of Burkas at my local store! :roll:

Hee . . . hee . . . - alright, I'm just poking fun. To my mind, the people who have some visceral objection to the notion of a man wearing a skirt will not be influenced in their opinion by the length of the skirt. If you are suggesting that I - and other men like myself who like to wear short skirts - should pander to the prejudices of people such as this by dressing in such a manner as to try to placate them or to minimise our 'offensiveness' - I would just say - forget it. I'm not going to do that.
No, no! Not at all! I don't expect you or anyone here to pander to society's narrow dictates as to what we can or can't wear, or the length of our hemlines to limit any degree of perceived offensiveness by the world around us. There will always be those who will never get over the prejudice that says only women can wear certain articles of clothing that are verboten to men, especially skirts and high heels, those minds are set in cement and will never be changed. I just mentioned that those particular closed minds will be most amused or revolted by the sight of men in short skirts.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

You may be quite liberal compared to others here, but I am sure you will get along here.

I myself mostly wear mini skirts, or short skirts, always with hose, I don't do the bare legged thing.

To the moderator, I will try to keep this clean.

As for you comment about liking the feel of going out in unerwear, I have not done that...except for one thing. I wear lycra shorts, leggings, and catsuits. Something I am sure did damage to the idea of such material used as outerwear was the growing number of out of shape or obese people, mostly women, that wore such clothing with big underwear lines pressing into their rear ends. That is one of the major gripes I hear about spandex.

Spandex should be worn either with a thong, or with nothing. This is something most wearers did not get. I however did, and never go out in my favorite articals of clothing with anything underneath but myself ( excepting on colder days when I wear a pair of hose or tights beneath).

So in essense I am walking around in just my underwear, just presenting a little sleeker and possibly more pleasing image. How does it feel? Like nothing else. Briefes don't hug or essentially become a second skin comfortably. The catsuit I am curently in, moves with every one of my movements. When a breeze sweeps over it, the material acts as a radiator. The same goes for hose under a skirt. I wear just the hose.

Moderator, I hope that was not too much, it is just I think many people find dislike of the materials I posted about because of this simple reason, I cannot be sure.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Hi Pythos, welcome to the board. Your posts are very much in line, and I seek to accomodate a wide variety of opinions and styles on this board. The rules about underwear are in response to two specific things. First, some guys seem to get a big kick off of wearing women's panties, which I (and many others) don't want on this board. Second, at one point, a few people posted skirt photos that showed underwear --- which many people complained about. We had a discussion on the topic in a recent thread; based on the community input, I decided to make a simple ban on pictures showing underwear, which many people thought was a good idea.

I hope this clarifies things. And welcome to SkirtCafe Your pics look great!