New member in 2023

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
degs62

New member in 2023

Post by degs62 »

Hi All

60 year old living on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.

I have been wearing skirts almost exclusively for the last two years. My love of skirts started when I was a teenager but was never pursued apart from sneaking my wife's clothes occasionally when alone at home.

Severe allergic reactions to medication made me search for a way to stop irritation to sensitive skin areas so I turned to skirts for relief and long term comfort. Needless to say my wife was OK with the skirts right up until it came to leaving the house, at one time she said skirts in public would be a marriage deal breaker; they haven't been. I choose when to wear pants or shorts with those occasions limited to visits to my youngest sons school and sporting events because I am sensitive to his potential peer ridicule; and when I visit my wife's parents who have dementia just to save having the same conversation repeatedly about why I am wearing skirts because it becomes tiresome as anyone who has a relative with dementia would testify.

First outing was nerve wracking though, I had made the decision to visit a particular shop where I 99 times out of 100 park almost right outside the door , arrived and found nearest parking was 100m down the road. The visit was non negotiable so deep breath and off I went, obviously as most of you will be aware there was no sky falling in and no funny looks or comments.

My personal choice of skirts is denim mini skirts for casual wear and black chino style for work, I prefer these styles because they have zip flys and more importantly pockets. I do enjoy wearing pencil skirts for the close feeling, but really short skirts are out. In Winter I wear hold up stockings, pantyhose, and footless leggings for leg warmth.

I do not wear dresses, although I am occasionally tempted, I have no interest in presenting as female so I do not consider myself a cross dresser.

Any other members in Queensland or on the Gold Coast are welcome to get in touch.
Uncle Al

Re: New member in 2023

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:
Please join in any discussion you prefer.
We'ld enjoy reading of your experiences :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, welcome to the cafe from a fellow member on the same big island. I was pleased to hear that going public in your skirt wasn't a marriage breaker in the end. It would be interesting to hear how that changed as there are members here who are in a situation with that fear.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Hi degs 62,
Pull up a chair and have a cuppa and tell us more about your self. We are a friendly bunch and don't bite.

Fred
Last edited by Fred in Skirts on Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
quasisp571

Post by quasisp571 »

degs62 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:37 am Hi All

I have been wearing skirts almost exclusively for the last two years. My love of skirts started when I was a teenager but was never pursued apart from sneaking my wife's clothes occasionally when alone at home.

Severe allergic reactions to medication made me search for a way to stop irritation to sensitive skin areas so I turned to skirts for relief and long term comfort. Needless to say my wife was OK with the skirts right up until it came to leaving the house, at one time she said skirts in public would be a marriage deal breaker; they haven't been. I choose when to wear pants or shorts with those occasions limited to visits to my youngest sons school and sporting events because I am sensitive to his potential peer ridicule; and when I visit my wife's parents who have dementia just to save having the same conversation repeatedly about why I am wearing skirts because it becomes tiresome as anyone who has a relative with dementia would testify.

First outing was nerve wracking though, I had made the decision to visit a particular shop where I 99 times out of 100 park almost right outside the door , arrived and found nearest parking was 100m down the road. The visit was non negotiable so deep breath and off I went, obviously as most of you will be aware there was no sky falling in and no funny looks or comments.

My personal choice of skirts is denim mini skirts for casual wear and black chino style for work, I prefer these styles because they have zip flys and more importantly pockets. I do enjoy wearing pencil skirts for the close feeling, but really short skirts are out. In Winter I wear hold up stockings, pantyhose, and footless leggings for leg warmth.

I do not wear dresses, although I am occasionally tempted, I have no interest in presenting as female so I do not consider myself a cross dresser.

Any other members in Queensland or on the Gold Coast are welcome to get in touch.
Welcome to the cafe.

I know how you felt the first time you wore a skirt. In August 2020, I decided to but a blue denim mini skirt out of a whim. Little did I know that by the time I put that skirt on and wore it, I realized how much fun and how comfortable they were (and in fact, still are). But sometimes, when it is cold outside (like today), I wear pantyhose too. And during the time wore my skirts out in public, I felt a little bit nervous, but I felt at ease when no one seemed to care, and those who did comment said very sweetly, "I like your skirt!" , to which I replied, "Thank you. It means a lot!"

Like you, I do not wear dresses (although the temptation exists). I also have no interest in presenting as female either. Because I wear blue denim mini skirts, I don't consider myself a cross dresser either. Skirts do take some getting used to, but once you overcome that, they become second nature.

Like I said, welcome aboard! :D :D :D :D :D
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Hi degs62 I'm another on this big island and slowly getting used to being out and about in public. I'm sure there are many in Australia who feel the same as you. Welcome I'm sure you'll find comfort and good discussion here.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Welcome from Melbourne Victoria.
degs62

Post by degs62 »

denimini wrote:
> Yes, welcome to the cafe from a fellow member on the same big island. I was
> pleased to hear that going public in your skirt wasn't a marriage breaker
> in the end. It would be interesting to hear how that changed as there are
> members here who are in a situation with that fear.

Getting my wife on board was a little strange really, one weekend afternoon we were going to the shopping centre and I just didn't change out of the denim mini skirt, was probably more nerve wracking that first outing TBH. After that I generally spent more time in skirts than not. A few months ago we were heading out again and she said 'can you put shorts on' I said 'I'd rather not' so I went out on my own and she had the huff with me for a few weeks.

Things are back to normal now and I wear what I want when I want.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Welcome to the community from a neighbour from Brisbane, an hour up the M1...

Great that you have the better half on board, for many that's a hurdle that they struggle with daily.
My wife is pretty fine with my sarongs and a few lightweight utility kilts and an Ozkilt, and the other skirts I wear mostly around here, despite her background being fairly conservative (Filipino). She often requests that I wear a sarong when I get home too.

Skirts are certainly great at this time of year with the temperatures we've been enjoying over the last 10 days or so...

There's a few of us around SE QLD that I know of and a few on the Goldie, I have seen a couple of skirted guys on the Goldie and several around Brisbane, including a few 20 somethings, so there's a few skirted blokes out there.

Welcome aboard, Tim.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

quasisp571 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:53 pm
degs62 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:37 am Hi All

Welcome to the cafe.

I know how you felt the first time you wore a skirt. In August 2020, I decided to but a blue denim mini skirt out of a whim. Little did I know that by the time I put that skirt on and wore it, I realized how much fun and how comfortable they were (and in fact, still are). But sometimes, when it is cold outside (like today), I wear pantyhose too. And during the time wore my skirts out in public, I felt a little bit nervous, but I felt at ease when no one seemed to care, and those who did comment said very sweetly, "I like your skirt!" , to which I replied, "Thank you. It means a lot!"

Like you, I do not wear dresses (although the temptation exists). I also have no interest in presenting as female either. Because I wear blue denim mini skirts, I don't consider myself a cross dresser either. Skirts do take some getting used to, but once you overcome that, they become second nature.

Like I said, welcome aboard! :D :D :D :D :D

Welcome to both you new guys.

As you can see we are from all over the place and wear skirts for various reasons.

I think you will enjoy hany out here in this cafe.
I've been hanging out here since 2015. And don't regret it one bit, I consider a few of these members to be true friends.

While we are are different, we all have one thing in common, skirts.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
degs62

Post by degs62 »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:20 am Welcome to the community from a neighbour from Brisbane, an hour up the M1...

Great that you have the better half on board, for many that's a hurdle that they struggle with daily.
My wife is pretty fine with my sarongs and a few lightweight utility kilts and an Ozkilt, and the other skirts I wear mostly around here, despite her background being fairly conservative (Filipino). She often requests that I wear a sarong when I get home too.

Skirts are certainly great at this time of year with the temperatures we've been enjoying over the last 10 days or so...

There's a few of us around SE QLD that I know of and a few on the Goldie, I have seen a couple of skirted guys on the Goldie and several around Brisbane, including a few 20 somethings, so there's a few skirted blokes out there.

Welcome aboard, Tim.
Great to hear, you've probably seen me out and about on the coast, balding 60 year old generally in denim mini skirt or just above the knee black chino on work days. Wonder how many of the 'locals' are on here.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome to both Degs and Quasisip;

We spent a couple of years doing volunteer work on your big island, mostly in the eastern half of the country and when possible, I chased the sun so a lot of time along the coast from Cooktown to Hobart & inland to Coober Pedy (no skirt there--fly netting galore) but otherwise, most of the time in skirts, and all was well. Got a few glances in the Melbourne area, mostly in Toorak where anything less than chic might garner a sidewise look, but maybe it was the electric bicycle! Frankly, I'm not sure ye Aussies would say boo even if we were naked, but a good time was had. I suspect the ratio of skirted chaps in AU is relatively high compared to countries where skirts for men are not a norm. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

Another Aussie here guys (see my Intro post above). Likewise, I'm happy being a bloke. I have a beard and mo. I'm in a hetero marriage with a supportive wife. I wear dresses and skirts and although i have some "female" accessories including some lovely heels, I prefer to gender blend with workboots and a jacket (if only to provide pockets). Great to be here and see other Aussies too. Cheers all