If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

I just stumbled on this site by accident. Nice to know there are other men who had this idea.
I've been wearing kilts and skirts for about eight months now. Started in April. In my experience most people just leave you alone. except if you are wearing a kilt. I've had a couple of men comment but women quite often compliment, mostly nice comments. one thing I get asked a lot is what tartan I have on. So, I would recommend that you know. I do have Scottish heritage, but my family does not have its own tartan, so I have several different ones. my research suggests that you don't need to be a Scot to wear a tartan and it seems the easiest way to get into wearing skirts. I also have a few knee length blue jean skirts and one grey cotton knee length one.
Once I started into this, I decided that this was a garment men should never have given up. it is the best way to stay cool in the summer. Being a Canadian I am about to find out how it works in the winter. It might be to cool at minus twenty.
Anyway, keep the faith, take back the skirt.
Username Skirt18220
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: new member

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Come in grab a seat and join right in the conversation!
Hi I'm Fred, Where are you from? (just the general area if you are not secure in putting your town or city) I live in South Carolina and have traveled all over the US in a skirt. Flying most of the time without any problems.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Welcome!

Your story is so similar to mine. Women do seem to love a guy in a kilt. Got asked the tartan thing also and didn’t know. Oops.

Glad you joined up. And good luck on the snowy north!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

Grab a cup and have a seat near The Potted Palm :D
Join in on any conversation you'ld like, the more - the merrier :D

NOTE: Please do not pour your left over coffee into the planter.
That "Tree" really enjoys it and we need to keep the size down
so we can keep the tree in the shop :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome aboard. I was not wearing my skirts full time or in public a lot when living in Canada, but when I did -- no issues even back "then"! Warmth can be had, though I'm not sure I'd try it in 20 below (which felt warm from 40 below) when we were in the Arctic --but black flies and mosquitos (not the Ted Wesley album) would have dissuaded me anyway! Carl will tell you there are solutions at that temperature, and I'm sure he has had opportunity to test them in Massachusetts!

I was not flying in a skirt then either; but travel by car from Victoria to Montreal, sometimes skirted, never raised any concern, at least in my rather plain denim types of the time. Your experiences, shared here, will be a boon to many who are entering this brave new world.

Pura vida from Costa Rica
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Skirt18220 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:22 pm Being a Canadian I am about to find out how it works in the winter. It might be to cool at minus twenty.
Welcome Skirt18220,

Knees aren't that much cold. At least minus 10-12 C is no problem.

When colder, you might go for tights:

GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

Thanks for all the comments. for Fred in skirts. I live in The Ottawa valley, town of Pembroke, Province of Ontario, Canada.
I am trying to wear my skirts/kilts full time. I do have a couple pairs of tights but definitely want to try without them. normal winter temps are around -10 C. For our American friends that's close to 15 F.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Welcome!
I'm also new to the cafe and also started wearing skirts in April.
My first venture out was in a kilt to a jake bugg gig in Oxford. Lots of compliments.