Greetings everyone

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Pity

Greetings everyone

Post by Pity »

Hi all,

I’m another that's been lurking for long enough that it felt rude not to make an account and introduce myself, so here I am.

I’ve been wearing skirts for twenty years (mid-forties now, where does the time go?), but my general feeling of not-giving-a-**** has increased as I’ve aged, seemingly hitting a tipping point about five years ago that meant I really pushed myself to properly embrace wearing whatever I want in public, other people be damned. This has been hugely helped by my working at a London university, where my gradual transition from wearing sarongs in the Summer because of the outrageous heat in the office (I’m not really a polo shirt and shorts kind of guy…), to my everyday work outfit now comprising of maxi and midi skirts with high-heeled ankle boots, feminine tops and jewellery hasn’t really been remarked upon by anyone at all. I’ve attended meetings with senior management, met with outside contractors, and dealt face-to-face with students and their parents but other than the time I asked my new manager if she minded how I was dressed and she replied “I don’t see anything unprofessional about your outfit” it doesn’t provoke anything more than the occasional compliment from coworkers.

This fairly recent sense of confidence has led to me viewing the annual work Christmas party as an opportunity :-D which peaked at the last one pre-Covid to which I wore an asymmetric split skirt with my stiletto heeled platform ankle boots. Again, all this induced was various compliments and a long discussion with the Registrar around the practicalities of learning to walk in heels :lol:

As is probably clear from the above, my general style is probably a bit more gender-fluid than some here at the Cafe. I’ve always thought that girls get the best clothes, shoes and makeup and I think it’s rude of them not to share. I’m definitely not trans-anything and I’m not trying to present as female (if I was I prob wouldn’t have the beard and ‘tache!) but I like wearing clothes that make me look and feel good, irrespective of who they’re marketed to. I’m also quite gothy/fetishy and go to places like Torture Garden, so I’ve got a wardrobe of high-heel boots, corsets and minidresses as well as the more mundane stuff.

Lastly, shout out to my incredibly supportive partner of 22 years, who always loved boys in make-up and remains chuffed she has one of her own.

Anyway, pleasure to meet you all.
Last edited by Pity on Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Greetings everyone

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Hi! It's good to hear of someone who has not only embraced free dressing whole-heartedly, but met with such a level of everyday acceptance.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

Congratulations for having a supportive partner :D

My wife was, at first, hesitant in being out with me in a skirt. Kilts - no problem.
A skirt bothered her so much that, upon meeting family members at an open-air
shopping mall, she blurted out 'He's wearing a skirt'. They said it looked great and
they were not worried one bit. From that day onward, she helped find skirts for
me as we shopped for each other :D

Her fears, turned into support of, and for, my 'choices' :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Welcome Pity,

Glad your wife is supportive and encouraging.

I’m pretty new but it seems more and more folks here are going from lurking to posting.

Looking forward to hearing more from you
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Pity wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:25 pm
As is probably clear from the above, my general style is probably a bit more gender-fluid than some here at the Cafe. I’ve always thought that girls get the best clothes, shoes and makeup and I think it’s rude of them not to share. I’m definitely not trans-anything and I’m not trying to present as female (if I was I prob wouldn’t have the beard and ‘tache!) but I like wearing clothes that make me look and feel good, irrespective of who they’re marketed to.
Welcome to the forum from a very casual and adhoc participating member.

I fully agree with this stance and never, for myself, think of gender fluidity and not interested in makeup or heels for me. I am just a man who embraces freedom of choice, individuality and expression just like women do and expect these days. Rarely asked why I wear a skirt but that's my reply and if need be add that if this choice makes me queer, dysfunctional and trying to be a woman, then the same logic applies to women who on the whole wear male styles even actual male clothes.

I am very active in society as a man in a skirt, in all aspects of society as mentioned on this forum before, a man who embraces society's female wardrobe. I do admit I do love to turn heads when out and about skirted and slips, satin or embroidered cotton on show via button front skirts and splits definitely does but I by far get more compliments in this mode than solid skirts! In fact I hardly update my web site, even with pictures as it is so routine! But I think I should refresh the existing photos with current outfits.

The issue from my experience is the persona of the man in a skirt with the public. As a man embracing choice, individuality, I find is fine with the majority but there are those out there who still expect men to be traditional in appearance but not for women or themselves - but that is typical of society in all respects.

I too have a very supportive wife.

Good luck and keep wearing the outfits that you prefer.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.