Hello from Essex UK

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
chilpaul

Hello from Essex UK

Post by chilpaul »

Hi
I first became interested in skirts just over a year ago, it started by borrowing a sarong from the wife to put on whilst queuing for an ice-cream at the beach last summer, it seemed the natural thing to do as I was only wearing speedo's at the time. I could see it prompted a bit of a reaction to others in the que but it didn't bother me, in fact I guess I welcomed it. A few weeks later we were in the garden sunning ourselves and we had a parcel delivery, so again I borrowed the sarong to answer the door, the delivery man smiled when he took a photo of me with the parcel as proof of delivery.

When on holiday I often partake in doing a bit of a dare, a bit of skinny dipping or just getting naked in a risky situation and the wife taking a snap, but the next holiday I came up with something a little different, I was to go into town wearing a skirt and buy a bottle of wine, and this I did. I was a little disappointed as I got absolutely no reaction from anyone, no one seamed to notice, I think people tend to see what they expect to see and the difference between black shorts and a black skirt isn't very much at first glance. Anyway since that time I have bought several skirts and been shopping and eating out wearing them with the wife joining me, she is happy as long as we are well away from our home town or at home, I still enjoy seeing a double take but it's more just about enjoying wearing the skirt nowadays.

My 'look' is very much of a macho man in a skirt, I like plain skirts in a solid color, nothing remotely feminine looking and cargo skirts with pockets are a favorite. I am awaiting delivery on my next purchase ......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YAODAMAI-Medie ... 57&sr=8-12

And this one may be next ...

https://lightheartgear.com/products/hik ... 69ec&_ss=r

I do feel frustrated at the lack of skirts in the shops at the moment, and I long for the day when they become more acceptable as menswear, but until then I will try and promote them when I can
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Essex UK

Post by rode_kater »

Welcome to the club!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

chilpaul wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:40 pm My 'look' is very much of a macho man in a skirt, I like plain skirts in a solid color, nothing remotely feminine looking and cargo skirts with pockets are a favorite. I am awaiting delivery on my next purchase ......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YAODAMAI-Medie ... 57&sr=8-12
And a welcome from me too!

I've pointed out before here that this skirt is actually a Chinese clone of a French design:
https://hiatus-shop.com/en/2010-hiatus- ... black.html
The original is rather better made, and of a better fabric. I have one and it has been admired at parties etc. ;-) i think that Hiatus is worth supporting. Nonetheless, I hope you'll get lot of enjoyment out of yours when it arrives.....
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Welcome!

I’d be interested to hear how your first skirt fits/ feels. I have the light heart gear one in green and don’t recommend that color because it’s a different fabric. Get the black or purple one.

Again Welcome and I look forward to your reviews!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hola Chilpaul;

Prepare to be disappointed -- you can run around all day long in your skirts and you are not going to get much reaction -- especially from the "maucho" look ones! Maybe try a cute colorful micro tutu and might get something out of the sleepy public, but don't forget to die your hair, do your nails, get heels and an lace cut leather vest open to the belly-button if want to be sure somebody notices!

OK, that may be a bit over-the-top -- but the reactions from skirts is mostly what it should be -- nothing, unless you are actively being weird in some other way as well.

tis great the wife is on-board; and hopefully you will both "bring it home" before long -- it really isn't any different. Sarongs for some reason seem to be noticed, but glossed over; maybe due to the fairly widely recognition of men in the pacific islands and some other vacations spots commonly in them as well. You sound like a fun couple -- welcome aboard and dive in -- or 'drink-up', the cafe is open 24/7!

Faldaguy from Ticolandia (Costa Rica)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:
Grab a cup pull up a chair and have great conversations :D
(Just don't pour your left over coffee on the potted-palm :) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome to the cafe. I do like the hiking skirt in either purple or midnight blue but wouldn't pay that price.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Looking at the lightheartgear hiking skirt, the one with normal fly and slash pockets with a bit of flare looks sort-of OK, were it made of decent material, but it looks Etsy cheap.
$98 speaks of an outrageous mark-up and with the extra Customs levy on goods from the US plus the apparently unstoppable march of the value of the Almighty Dollar, that product is eminently forgettable.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:05 am Looking at the lightheartgear hiking skirt, the one with normal fly and slash pockets with a bit of flare looks sort-of OK, were it made of decent material, but it looks Etsy cheap.
$98 speaks of an outrageous mark-up and with the extra Customs levy on goods from the US plus the apparently unstoppable march of the value of the Almighty Dollar, that product is eminently forgettable.

Tom
Hope the price comes down. I really like them, find them Uber comfortable and have that outdoors feel to them that allows people to accept cause it’s for something “athletic”
chilpaul

Post by chilpaul »

ScotL wrote:
> Welcome!
>
> I’d be interested to hear how your first skirt fits/ feels. I have the
> light heart gear one in green and don’t recommend that color because it’s a
> different fabric. Get the black or purple one.
>
> Again Welcome and I look forward to your reviews!
As requested a review.....

My reaction as it arrived through the post was one of disbelief, it was such a small package that dropped through my letterbox that I couldn't believe that it contained a skirt !
The material was cotton and was so thin it resembled the sort of thing a shirt would be made of and practically see throuh.
It was heavily creased and would need a wash and iron before you could wear it.
The sizing was not far out if a little snug
Overall it was so poorly made and cheap looking I don't think I shall bother wearing it, I wasn't expecting much for the money but this was a bit of a shock and I fekt a bit ripped off, I couid have made a return but couldn't be bothered

:(
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

chilpaul wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:00 pm
ScotL wrote:
> Welcome!
>
> I’d be interested to hear how your first skirt fits/ feels. I have the
> light heart gear one in green and don’t recommend that color because it’s a
> different fabric. Get the black or purple one.
>
> Again Welcome and I look forward to your reviews!
As requested a review.....

My reaction as it arrived through the post was one of disbelief, it was such a small package that dropped through my letterbox that I couldn't believe that it contained a skirt !
The material was cotton and was so thin it resembled the sort of thing a shirt would be made of and practically see throuh.
It was heavily creased and would need a wash and iron before you could wear it.
The sizing was not far out if a little snug
Overall it was so poorly made and cheap looking I don't think I shall bother wearing it, I wasn't expecting much for the money but this was a bit of a shock and I fekt a bit ripped off, I couid have made a return but couldn't be bothered

:(
I’m sorry to hear that. I’m a big fan of my black and purple one. The green one is of a different fabric I’m not a fan of. What color did you get?

I like how thin the ones I have are. They ain’t see through but they seem like they’d be perfect for hiking. Haven’t had the chance yet.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Welcome to the forum from a very casual and adhoc participating member.

Please do keep promoting skirts for men. The more that do publicly the better. It is not easy making the first step but as you have discovered the vast majority are not bothered. You will brighten up the day for a few.

For me, I avoid skirts designed for men. Mostly as they are very expensive but I do not like the styles and I do prefer colour and character of skirts that society still say are womens only. They are more comfortable to wear and very economic in price. Each to their own, respect for those who prefer the men designed skirts.

I openly invade the female wardrobe as a man but avoid heels and makeup. Very active in all aspects of public life skirted.

Pleased to here that your wife is supportive and hopefully within your home area in due course. I wear my outfits locally and we are in a rural area. My wife is supportive.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
shaky

Post by shaky »

Hi

Your description sound very much like my own thoughts, although my wife is not so understanding, however much I say "it's just a cultural norm", "I'm actually more covered than in shorts", and "I'm comfortable". She about tolerates me wearing one at home, but was horrified that I wore one in public, even though I wore a thobe in Egypt years ago.

Thanks for posting the links, the LightHeart Gear hiking skirt looks great, but the shipping is really costly over the top of a quite costly item, which is a shame.

I'm currently wearing this from Amazon (https://amzn.eu/d/5w08aFD), which is plain, has pockets, and belt loops, so is really practical.

Cheers

A