Here I am. How are you?

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Here I am. How are you?

Post by Coder »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:49 pm Actually I think that would be a good dividing line between genders. Both can wear trousers, both can wear shorts, t shirts, both can wear any color. Both can wear skirts. But floral prints are for women. Plaids are for men.
This wouldn't work - women wouldn't give up their plaids (and I wouldn't blame them!).

And... well - I have a few florals. I've never worn them out - should get rid of them or wear them. But think back to recent history... 70's... hippies. Or Hawaiian shirts. I realize there's a difference between a Hawaiian print (large flowers, pseudo-repeated pattern) and a floral (usually small pattern, repeated)... but at the end of the day rules like this just reinforce "allowed forms of expression". I get a little squeamish when I think of myself adopting a full female ensemble - that's not really my thing - but one of the things I do covet that women get is access to fantastical patterns.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:49 pm
ScotL wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:12 pm
Midas wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:06 pm I disagree that we want ‘men’s skirts’. They would be over-engineered like most other men’s clothes, heavy and drab. What we need is for men to feel free to wear anything from the other side of the shop, just as they please. There are, in any event, already skirts made for men, such as kilts and I for one don’t want to wear one.
I think we’re saying the same thing. We want not overly expensive skirts for men that aren’t only sold in blue, brown or black. I think it’s gonna be a process though. If men wearing skirts becomes mainstream, most men will slowly get into them but only when they closely resemble clothing they’re used to wearing. Otherwise it’s too big a leap. But going from a brown pair of shorts to a brown skirt that looks like someone just opened up the bifurcation is similar. Then it’s a slippery slope.

I would want my skirts to be durable, while not being being heavy. I have a twill utility kilt that weights in at 3 lbs. Or 1.36 KG
It gets heavy and hot rather quickly, even in the fall and spring. I have a lot of skirts that are way better balanced in the comfortable design and weight. Than any of my kilts.

Not only the heavy weight is a issue. Pleats are uncomfortable to sit on for a long period of time.
And they take additional care and maintenance.

I want clothing that you can wear, not have to baby it.
Worry about pleats, snagging it, it floating up in a light breeze, dry cleaning it, ironing it, having to hand wash it.

Most of the time I reach into the closet and grab a denim or twill skirt, before I grab a kilt. Something easy care.
You have some impractical women's skirts.
An at the moment most all men's skirts are impractical or high priced.
So off I go to the second hand women's skirt racks.

Skirts with solid colors don't bother me although I only own a few, most are typically male colors.

I know this will bring disagreement from some but floral prints don't look right on us guys.
I think those are best left in the women's department.

Actually I think that would be a good dividing line between genders. Both can wear trousers, both can wear shorts, t shirts, both can wear any color. Both can wear skirts. But floral prints are for women. Plaids are for men.

So the prefect men's skirt? Who made it? Where can I get one? It's out there.
It does exist, It's about 1/4 of the skirts that can be found in the women's department. It's Time for skirts to be considered unisex.
To sum up this post, you want a skirt that you want. Life should be so fair. I suspect with the fact that skirts are currently in the womens section, there are billions of them. Which is good cause that means there’s one for you but bad cause now you have to find it.

In terms of prints, I partially agree that floral prints on guys could be a little farther out there, I also think some may be masculine. Think Hawaiian shirts. But more to the point, if the booming voice from above normalized men in skirts for everyone, I fear men would still wear blue, black and brown ones.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:54 pm
mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:49 pm Actually I think that would be a good dividing line between genders. Both can wear trousers, both can wear shorts, t shirts, both can wear any color. Both can wear skirts. But floral prints are for women. Plaids are for men.
This wouldn't work - women wouldn't give up their plaids (and I wouldn't blame them!).

And... well - I have a few florals. I've never worn them out - should get rid of them or wear them. But think back to recent history... 70's... hippies. Or Hawaiian shirts. I realize there's a difference between a Hawaiian print (large flowers, pseudo-repeated pattern) and a floral (usually small pattern, repeated)... but at the end of the day rules like this just reinforce "allowed forms of expression". I get a little squeamish when I think of myself adopting a full female ensemble - that's not really my thing - but one of the things I do covet that women get is access to fantastical patterns.
It is amazing the full range of patterns that are absolutely accepted on women if not encouraged. While I go put on my white shirt. Does have fancy buttons though, if you look closely, they’re a bit translucent. Talk about being risqué
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Come off it, patterned and floral skirts can be worn by men. I have some "ditzy" skirts with a denser floral pattern that I am happy to wear. I have a black dress with a floral motif that I am happy with. It's in the pics & looks section. Try telling SD that he can't wear a floral anything.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Sinned » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:02 pm

Come off it, patterned and floral skirts can be worn by men. I have some "ditzy" skirts with a denser floral pattern that I am happy to wear. I have a black dress with a floral motif that I am happy with. It's in the pics & looks section. Try telling SD that he can't wear a floral anything.
My sentiments as well. I've several floral items and a number of bright patterns, all no doubt labeled "feminine" but isn't that half the battle we are fighting -- colors and patterns no more carry a gender than the skirts do.
gender free universe

Post by gender free universe »

I only buy my skirts in the women's section. The selection there is the greatest (there is even more choice of pants than in the men's aisle). There I always find the one skirt that's made for me.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

ScotL wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:42 pm
It’s actually sexist for anyone to argue that men shouldn’t wear something feminine. When I first heard that, I cringed thinking the woke cried is at it again. But it goes like this. If men are considered the lead gender and women are second class citizens, then a man wearing the uniform of the second class citizens decreases his rank. And getting demoted is always frowned upon. A woman adopting the uniform of men is like getting a promotion. So basically anyone not ok with men wearing feminine stuff is sexist.
That is the main issue for those who question men in skirts but in the many years I have worn female labelled clothes, some 12 years now, I do find society is far, far less negative on men in skirts than it was. Not perfect, but better. Many a man respects me, even compliments my approach but in conversation most frequently say they wouldn't implying your remark. It is why most female attire is masculine based. All our male friends and acquaintances are OK with me, even going out in public with me but would not wear a skirt.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.