Here I am. How are you?

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
gender free universe

Here I am. How are you?

Post by gender free universe »

Hey everybody.

First of all my congrats on the successful article "From Brad Pitt to Lil Nas X, more men are turning to skirts" by Carl R. Friend alias Master Barista at CNN Style. My second thank you goes to Rob (@mens.heels.revolution) for bringing the article to my attention.

I am one of the authors of the Men's skirts wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_skirts). There you will also find a photo of me. Guess which one? You can also find me under the same alias name (gender_free_universe) on Instagram.

And of course, I wear skirts because I work at a university in Taiwan. Skirts are perfect for a tropical climate. And my students like it. Federal law specifically permits male students to wear skirts. But most students only do it in cosplay.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Here I am. How are you?

Post by crfriend »

gender free universe wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:56 amFirst of all my congrats on the successful article "From Brad Pitt to Lil Nas X, more men are turning to skirts" by Carl R. Friend alias Master Barista at CNN Style.
Thanks for the sentiment, but the article was written by Ms. Megan Hills, not yours truly. I had merely been contacted at the Barista's e-mail address with a genuine appeal for information and general thoughts which I was happy to answer. Her skilful weaving of my words into her narrative worked quite well indeed -- leaving the incorrect idea that it was a joint venture. It wasn't.
I am one of the authors of the Men's skirts wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_skirts). There you will also find a photo of me. Guess which one? You can also find me under the same alias name (gender_free_universe) on Instagram.
I'll have to have a look at that again; it sounds like things have changed there since the early 2000s. The last time I looked in was perhaps 2005, and there was a running controversy between the "for" (skirts) and "against" factions, with frequent accusations of "Point Of View Pushing" and frequent suppression of "original research", which at that time was all that was really going on, and that removed plenty of data-points from the conversation. Given the tone, I opted to stay well and truly clear of what appeared a fray of free-for-all characteristics.
[...] I wear skirts because I work at a university in Taiwan. Skirts are perfect for a tropical climate. And my students like it. Federal law specifically permits male students to wear skirts. But most students only do it in cosplay.
Wearing skirts for cosplay is perfectly acceptable and if I'm not mistaken is quite commonplace in Asian cultures. It's nice the boys don't get excoriated for "wearing 'women's clothing'" the way they frequently do in some European and New World cultures. However, your assertion seems to indicate that skirted rigs on men are rare even where you are. By removing the stigma, we're hoping that the notion will take off on its own simply because skirts are so wonderfully comfortable, especially if it's hot (although long heavy skirts can be warmer than trousers in the dead of a cold winter).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
gender free universe

Yes, it was bad at times on Wiki. Arguments were often made against all facts. I first started to make contributions from my cultural-anthropological work on the German side (Männerrock) and got into a relentless and illogical argument with an administrator (queppo). I fled to the English side. That's where he followed me. The German administrator now quarreled with his English colleagues, who in turn defended my contributions. In Queppo's view, only traditional men's skirts such as the kilt or the fustanella belong on the men's skirts site. Men buying skirts in the women's department, he argued, is a travesty The administrator had even researched me in the German equivalent to the skirtcafe (www.rockmode.de) and then accused me that the German skirtcafe proved that I was only interested in crossdressing. Well, things seem to have calmed down now.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

gender free universe wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:50 pmYes, it was bad at times on Wiki. Arguments were often made against all facts. I first started to make contributions from my cultural-anthropological work on the German side (Männerrock) and got into a relentless and illogical argument with an administrator (queppo).
I bet I know what was going on, and I firmly suspect it's the same effect that causes so much friction between a couple when the man veers into skirt territory. Dollars to doughnuts, this a a conflict between rational thought and emotional feeling -- and when that happens, resolution is extraordinarily difficult because it takes a jump on both sides before an understanding can be come to. The notion of "illogical" is what keyed my interest in this case, and it was part of what I sensed in the early 2000s with Wikipedia and was why I steered well clear. In short, the battle I'd be joining wasn't worth the expenditure of energy because the arguments I'd be using would be rational ones to the core.

I got a small taste of that yesterday evening when I was chatting with the woman who lives directly above me. I'm completely unashamed by my skirts, and she used the term "women's clothing" in an almost contemptuous tone to me. I gently corrected that by pointing up that, "Yes, some of this rig was procured from the big side of the store, and other parts from the little one. However, all were my selection, purchased by me and for me, therefore no notion of "women's clothing" exists, it's mine." It'll be interesting to see if any of that sank in.

But, the problem remains a vexing one to this day, and will likely continue into the future until men are allowed to use their emotions and women allow themselves to use their intellect. I am not confident on either count.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:47 pm and she used the term "women's clothing" in an almost contemptuous tone to me.
I don't know why but this made me laugh. I get the same reaction from a family member, but it's all so silly. I mean, these are the same people who brazenly wear pants (the scandal!), shop the men's aisle when they feel like it, and dictate to their husbands what to wear.

I also don't quite know where the contemptuousness comes from - is it that we "appropriate" skirts? Do they only belong to the woman's domain? Do men have to live in a little box for their entire lives? Are we below them? Honestly, it feels very much like a situation where we reject the notion of being a number and instead act like a free man (erm, insert The Prisoner reference) and we are constantly being kept a prisoner to other people's ideas and thoughts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Good point Coder. But I feel the contempt comes from the fact a male wearing a skirt completely obliviates the one truth to their being. Men are strong, act strong and have a man card. That’s the rock civilization was built on. Think the men who won the battle made the rules that governed the people thereafter living obeyed. To do anything but grunt, fight and hunt is unmanly and that’s just not ok to them.

It’s actually sexist for anyone to argue that men shouldn’t wear something feminine. When I first heard that, I cringed thinking the woke cried is at it again. But it goes like this. If men are considered the lead gender and women are second class citizens, then a man wearing the uniform of the second class citizens decreases his rank. And getting demoted is always frowned upon. A woman adopting the uniform of men is like getting a promotion. So basically anyone not ok with men wearing feminine stuff is sexist.
gender free universe

Well, this is still a man's world. And it was men who made the rules. Even before the French Revolution, skirts were normal clothing for men, but then pants became a male privilege symbolizing rationality, assertiveness, and strength. That's why the "stupid" women were only allowed to wear skirts. Somehow it's still in many people's minds that skirts are for wimps. After all, times are gradually changing. In surveys that I conducted as part of a market research project among the young Zoomer generation, more than two-thirds of those questioned stated that freedom of clothing is a contribution to general emancipation. About 55% of the men said they searched for clothing, makeup or accessories in the women's sections as well. Of these men, 87% did it with their girlfriends. A quarter of women even agreed that men can be sexy in skirts if the style is right.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

“If the style is right”

That’s the holy grail right? What I am encouraged by some of the celebrities wearing skirts is they’re doing it with otherwise masculine looks. The pink mini skirt that Lil Nas is just not something I see mainstream men even contemplating. Harry Styles either. At least right now. But Brad Pitt wore a really masculine looking outfit that oh yeah, had a skirt. That’s what we need to see more of. Thomas Brown seems to be making them but we need a company to make a skirt for men and style it as a man. The skirt needs ti be the only “one off” thing of the ensemble. It’s too big a Jump for guys who are characteristically too scared to wear a pink shirt, suddenly dress way beyond their comfort zone.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I disagree that we want ‘men’s skirts’. They would be over-engineered like most other men’s clothes, heavy and drab. What we need is for men to feel free to wear anything from the other side of the shop, just as they please. There are, in any event, already skirts made for men, such as kilts and I for one don’t want to wear one.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Midas wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:06 pm I disagree that we want ‘men’s skirts’. They would be over-engineered like most other men’s clothes, heavy and drab. What we need is for men to feel free to wear anything from the other side of the shop, just as they please. There are, in any event, already skirts made for men, such as kilts and I for one don’t want to wear one.
I think we’re saying the same thing. We want not overly expensive skirts for men that aren’t only sold in blue, brown or black. I think it’s gonna be a process though. If men wearing skirts becomes mainstream, most men will slowly get into them but only when they closely resemble clothing they’re used to wearing. Otherwise it’s too big a leap. But going from a brown pair of shorts to a brown skirt that looks like someone just opened up the bifurcation is similar. Then it’s a slippery slope.
gender free universe

First of all, I'm grateful to Brad Pitt for his appearance in this particular skirt at the film premiere, because he shows a coherent way to dress up in a skirt. Lil Nas is a different character with a different style. He also shows possibilities. Since there is no one-size-fits-all man, diversity is needed. I know that a tight mini skirt doesn't suit my body proportions, but it can look good on other body shapes. One difference between the two styles is where you wear each outfit. I prefer the Prad Pitt look to lecture my students. But on a night out, and late night in a club, something shiny or sexy by Lil Nas would be more appropriate.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

gender free universe wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:25 pmSince there is no one-size-fits-all man, diversity is needed.
This is one of the fundamental reasons that we encourage all to explore a bit and to come to their own individual style, lest we wind up in the same clothing prison that we're already in with the same boring fabrics and colours. A drab skirt is fully as boring as drab trousers. This includes experimenting with different fabrics, different colours, different hem-lengths, and different styles -- and it's vital to keep an open mind and a healthy dose of curiosity. in other words, experiment, and don't be surprised, confused, or frightened by the possibility of making a mistake.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Though I agree in principle, Carl, I personally am trying to start introducing the idea of this guy in a skirt using skirts that are either kilts (accepted as male stuff) or drab. For me, it’s small steps to gain confidence and acceptance of those who matter before experimenting more.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:42 amThough I agree in principle, Carl, I personally am trying to start introducing the idea of this guy in a skirt using skirts that are either kilts (accepted as male stuff) or drab. For me, it’s small steps to gain confidence and acceptance of those who matter before experimenting more.
I don't much care where anybody stops their journey with skirts -- save for the possibility of the notion stalling at drab which will cut the adventurous off at the knees when it comes to self-expression.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

ScotL wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:12 pm
Midas wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:06 pm I disagree that we want ‘men’s skirts’. They would be over-engineered like most other men’s clothes, heavy and drab. What we need is for men to feel free to wear anything from the other side of the shop, just as they please. There are, in any event, already skirts made for men, such as kilts and I for one don’t want to wear one.
I think we’re saying the same thing. We want not overly expensive skirts for men that aren’t only sold in blue, brown or black. I think it’s gonna be a process though. If men wearing skirts becomes mainstream, most men will slowly get into them but only when they closely resemble clothing they’re used to wearing. Otherwise it’s too big a leap. But going from a brown pair of shorts to a brown skirt that looks like someone just opened up the bifurcation is similar. Then it’s a slippery slope.

I would want my skirts to be durable, while not being being heavy. I have a twill utility kilt that weights in at 3 lbs. Or 1.36 KG
It gets heavy and hot rather quickly, even in the fall and spring. I have a lot of skirts that are way better balanced in the comfortable design and weight. Than any of my kilts.

Not only the heavy weight is a issue. Pleats are uncomfortable to sit on for a long period of time.
And they take additional care and maintenance.

I want clothing that you can wear, not have to baby it.
Worry about pleats, snagging it, it floating up in a light breeze, dry cleaning it, ironing it, having to hand wash it.

Most of the time I reach into the closet and grab a denim or twill skirt, before I grab a kilt. Something easy care.
You have some impractical women's skirts.
An at the moment most all men's skirts are impractical or high priced.
So off I go to the second hand women's skirt racks.

Skirts with solid colors don't bother me although I only own a few, most are typically male colors.

I know this will bring disagreement from some but floral prints don't look right on us guys.
I think those are best left in the women's department.

Actually I think that would be a good dividing line between genders. Both can wear trousers, both can wear shorts, t shirts, both can wear any color. Both can wear skirts. But floral prints are for women. Plaids are for men.

So the prefect men's skirt? Who made it? Where can I get one? It's out there.
It does exist, It's about 1/4 of the skirts that can be found in the women's department. It's Time for skirts to be considered unisex.
Last edited by mishawakaskirt on Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.