Midlands UK

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Shaynee

Midlands UK

Post by Shaynee »

Hello to all fellow skirt lovers
I’m not experienced at introductions so bear with me please
At a touch over 40 I have now been wearing skirts and other female garments for over 20 years now but since meeting my current partner who has been so amazing at understanding my skirt wearing even to the point I now purchase skirts while we are shopping in the high street.
Every time I slip on a new skirt and steadily get more brave - even walking in the garden or to pop the recycling into the front bins.
I imagine a day where it will be socially acceptable for a man to wear a skirt in public without the judgemental looks or the feeling of being set upon and beaten by those with more extreme views. I like to think for the most part that other people wouldn’t really care (too wrapped up in their own lives and insecurities or social media statuses to even notice) however I just don’t feel like I can do that just yet. I hope this little corner of the interweb will in some way help and it’s good to know I’m not the only one.
So yeah that’s a little bit about me
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Midlands UK

Post by ScotL »

I’m new here also but welcome. Having the support of your SO is very important. Glad you’re lucky
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Welcome. Hang in there!

I hope to visit Northampton around Xmas, but the circumstances are unlikely to be favourable to wearing a skirt :(
I might manage a kilt though.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Shaynee,

If you could lay your crampons & downhill skis aside, I'll lay you a bet you're even at a higher altitude than me in flat Co. Kildare a tad to the west of you. 83 meters above Sea-level we are.... and our Winter Sports season is short, one could say.

That mini in your avatar leaves little to the imagination, but I assume that at age 40 you still have a pair of presentable pins.

It's doubly advantageous that you can flash 'em unbifurcated in front of your Spouse. Now that's a real bonus.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hi and welcome! if it helps I have openly worn skirts around Southampton airport and in Fareham, as always, no noticeable reaction from anyone, a complete non event outside my own head!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

And from North Central Texas,
:welcome:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome Shaynee and I can confirm that it is socially acceptable for a man to wear a skirt out and about. You just have to put on a skirt and step out of your front door to prove it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hola Shaynee;

We are spread out all over the globe so our ranks may be thin in any given locale, but you will hear it over and over again --- wearing skirts in public is a non-event. Sure a few people may take an extra momentary glance given seeing a man wearing an unbifurcated garment is unusual -- probably no different than your slightly extended glance a glamorous lady in a nice outfit! The fears are all in your head --that doesn't make the fear any less (in the beginning) but it may help to know that hundreds of us do wear our skirts daily in all manner of public places without any negative consequences, and a few quite positive ones.

It is great you have a supportive spouse; I too, am one of the lucky ones in that regard as it seems it is harder for family to accept than it is the public. Many here have found that "testing" the water in a location away from their usual haunts; and in more innocuous colors and style is an easy way to discover-- hey, this is no big deal. Try a denim knee length A line skirt & you will have to look hard to find anybody paying attention! Try it, and tell us the result. You do need to 'go boldly with confidence' not in the vain of sneaking out the recycle bin, but life is easy, fun and comfortable if you let it be. Pura Vida, &

Welcome aboard from Ticolandia (Costa Rica)
Shaynee

Post by Shaynee »

ScotL wrote:
> I’m new here also but welcome. Having the support of your SO is very
> important. Glad you’re lucky

Thank you I do feel blessed just a few more steps to take I feel the support received here will eventually give me the last ounce of courage to take the next step
Shaynee

Post by Shaynee »

Myopic Bookworm wrote:
> Welcome. Hang in there!
>
> I hope to visit Northampton around Xmas, but the circumstances are unlikely
> to be favourable to wearing a skirt :(
> I might manage a kilt though.

Thank you - skirt or kilt it’ll be a tad cold but I guess that shouldn’t stop you
Sometimes I brave a little drive while I’m wearing a short pleated skirt and sometimes get out of the car go to the boot or just stand close by - little steps I guess
Shaynee

Post by Shaynee »

Kirbstone wrote:
> Welcome Shaynee,
>
> If you could lay your crampons & downhill skis aside, I'll lay you a
> bet you're even at a higher altitude than me in flat Co. Kildare a tad to
> the west of you. 83 meters above Sea-level we are.... and our Winter
> Sports season is short, one could say.
>
> That mini in your avatar leaves little to the imagination, but I assume
> that at age 40 you still have a pair of presentable pins.
>
> It's doubly advantageous that you can flash 'em unbifurcated in front of
> your Spouse. Now that's a real bonus.
>
> Tom

Thank you Tom firstly as a reasonably well educated chap I’ll be honest I had to Google the meaning of unbifurcated it’s not a word I’ve ever heard before. I presume you use it in reference to my tree like trunk legs haha
And I have noticed I do like to stand unbifurcated when I get the chance to pop out and take a quick snap of myself in a skirt.
Occasionally imagining a fellow skirt wearer spying me and coming over to join in the skirt wearing - silly imagination I know
My partner found a skirt hidden under a pillow in the living room a few years or so ago - fearing the worst she rightly confronted me and in my mind my fantasy/fetish and keeping it to myself was a fate worse than cheating so I could never bring myself to share it, until then. I was blown away by how understanding she was - she said it’s not like she finds it attractive but knows I like it and accepts it when I choose to wear something randomly doesn’t judge me which is so liberating. I even buy skirts while we shop in tkmaxx - even this weekend we found an amazing black satin skirt by Ralph Lauren but was only in a size 4/6 so I’m heading out on the way to work today to a different store to try and get the right size. At the weekend I even tried on some silk ladies trousers in the changing rooms - little steps :)
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

Welcome, Shaynee,
from Nový Knín, Central Bohemia (about 40 km south of Prague).
I started wearing skirts in public about three years ago. I started with a kilt (Czech kilt made by the Zahálka's family - https://www.kiltzahalka.cz/kilt-po-cesk ... na-kostka/), because kilts are perceived as men's clothing (only from "a little" distant Scotland). And when the fellow citizens (we are a small town, there are about 2100 inhabitants) got used to it, and I gained more courage, I began to wear other skirts outside (cheaper, from second hand shops). I think it's good to start gradually, the main thing is to start at all - then courage will come. I think if you have understanding in Your family, you have already half won.
It's interesting, when I was somewhere on the trip in a kilt, people often asked me if I was from Scotland - or similarly. When I changed into another skirt, the questions stopped. Either people didn't even notice that I was in a skirt, or they didn't find it so strange, or they were so shocked that they couldn't take a word for it. :D

Miloš
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

Miloš H., Nový Knín, Central Bohemia
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

Hi Shaynee
We were down in your area sightseeing a couple of months ago for 5 days. Visited National Space Centre, Midlands Air Museum, Coventry town centre and motor museum, Leicester and a number of big gardens. We stayed at a Premier Inn in Kettering. As a full time dress wearer I wore a different dress each day. At no time did I feel uncomfortable or felt I was being stared at.
As long as you dress sensibly you'll barely be noticed. If you wear the skirt in your avatar you will definitely turn heads! Try a plain dark not too short skirt for your first time out so you can enjoy the experience without feeling too self concious. You can get more adventurous as your confidence builds up. Where to go for first time out? Try one of the big supermarkets. Other shoppers are too engrossed in what they are doing to notice you - especially if you are pushing a trolley.
As others have said, it's easy, nothing too worry about - just go ahead and do it!
And let us know how you got on.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Welcome! Not so new 2 skirts here, in west London, but have friends in the Midlands too. Denim knee length is how I started, and never looked back! Zara have some decent skirts, ebay as well, I'm between an 8 and 12 depending on the maker :) trips to the local Tesco helped me, after I had conquered going to the communal bin in my block of flats (apartments) 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

Hi from a fellow midlander!

Been wearing kilts and skirts for a few years and I've only ever had positive reactions.

I thought I was in for some ribbing the one time as a very drunk fella approached me from the direction of a wetherspoons while I was kilted up. Turns out he liked my t-shirt.

There's always a double take from the groups of school kids but that's too be expected and ignored. On the whole nobody seems to care.
Nunquam scienter normalis