ScotL

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
ScotL
Chatbot

ScotL

Post by ScotL »

Hello,

I’m new to the wearing of skirts and kilts. Stumbled on this group and lurked for a little while until I realized my visits were too regular to not warrant an account.

My story. During the pandemic, I was isolated due to that darn virus and one day, lounging around in a towel, I pondered how nice it was to just lie there in only a towel. Got me thinking and the fact one of my wife’s old skirts was hanging around, I tried it on.

Wow. It was a knee length one with a stretchy waistband (good for the covid pounds) and I wore it all day. Can’t imagine why the gender with something dangling between the legs don’t wear these things.

Started googling random things and saw a bunch of guys in skirts that just looked off. They were men wearing skirts and a bunch of other feminine things that I just couldn’t see wanting to wear. And honestly they looked like they were flamboyant cross dressers. Just not my thing.

But I stumbled on kilts and thought hmmmmm. So I bought a cheap black one and wore it when I was out of town. First thing I noticed, wow, super comfortable. I can’t wear wool so it was some cheaper cotton like thing and I figured I found something I really liked.

Have gotten a few more, mostly acrylic but a few from SportKilt that are hiking kilts. Really comfortable and cool.

Branched out of late and got a lightheart gear hiking skirt that I like. Has a button so you can convert the skirt into shorts in case of emergency.

With the recent wearing of skirts by celebrities, I’m hoping the whole men don’t wear skirts no more goes away.

Scot
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: ScotL

Post by crfriend »

Welcome, Scott. I believe you've found kindred souls here, certainly from the read of that.

We run the gamut from the somewhat boring to the flamboyant, but in few instances do we ever deviate from identifying as guys who just happen to have a different sense of style than the mainstream. We also believe that it it's important to find your own style -- whether that be basic denim, kilts, or something else -- because it's important that you be comfortable and confident in what you're wearing. Confidence is everything in this game; it'll make it or break it.

The more you participate in the community, the more you'll likely learn because many of us have already been where you are now. We can only advise if we understand the drivers.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

:ciao: Welcome from the southeast.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Welcome ScotL

I find skirts much more comfortable due to the lack of constriction. Stretchy skirts are best as they accommodate the male figure better and have allowed for the weight I have gained during covid and while at university eating rather unhealthily.

Enjoy your skirts

Kieran
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote:
> Welcome, Scott. I believe you've found kindred souls here, certainly from
> the read of that.
>
> We run the gamut from the somewhat boring to the flamboyant, but in few
> instances do we ever deviate from identifying as guys who just happen to
> have a different sense of style than the mainstream. We also believe that
> it it's important to find your own style -- whether that be basic denim,
> kilts, or something else -- because it's important that [i]you[/i] be
> comfortable and confident in what you're wearing. Confidence is everything
> in this game; it'll make it or break it.
>
> The more you participate in the community, the more you'll likely learn
> because many of us have already been where you are now. We can only advise
> if we understand the drivers.

Thanks for the welcome!

The thing that drew me to this forum was the kindred souls. Yes there does seem to be a gamut of skirt wearers here but there’s a tone of “I don’t want to be a woman, I just want to wear a skirt and be a man”. That sums me up perfectly. My masculinity comes from within and is secure enough not to be affected by what hangs on the outside. In fact, I think a man who can wear a skirt and it doesn’t affect his masculinity is likely the most secure in his masculinity. But I’m biased…
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote:
> :ciao: Welcome from the southeast.

Thank you! Southeast US? If so, yeah, wow it gets hit and skirts are way cooler than anything else I’ve worn outside of the birthday suit but that’s showing it’s age.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

SkaterSkirtWearer wrote:
> Welcome ScotL
>
> I find skirts much more comfortable due to the lack of constriction.
> Stretchy skirts are best as they accommodate the male figure better and
> have allowed for the weight I have gained during covid and while at
> university eating rather unhealthily.
>
> Enjoy your skirts
>
> Kieran

Thanks! The right one is definitely more comfortable than other clothing options for below the belt. Especially with the covid 19 equivalent of the freshmen 15 put on these last two years
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hi and welcome to the forum! from someone living on that wet little island on the fringes of Europeshire!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by ScotL » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:09 am

The thing that drew me to this forum was the kindred souls.... That sums me up perfectly. My masculinity comes from within and is secure enough not to be affected by what hangs on the outside. In fact, I think a man who can wear a skirt and it doesn’t affect his masculinity is likely the most secure in his masculinity. But I’m biased…
And perhaps also secure in his feminine side - - but yes, the confidence that comes from knowing who you are carries a lot more weight than those salt and fat laden dorm dining rooms!

You mentioned bumming one of your wife's skirts. Significant others is another theme that gets a lot of attention herein. I'm one of the lucky ones in that I have no issues with my spouse in the matter of our clothing choices -- except I'd better not raid her skirts, but it is fine for her to "borrow" mine! :D

Welcome & Pura Vida from Ticolandia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Here is another welcome from the South East of the US. Confidence and knowing who you are can make or break the feelings of being complete while wearing a skirt.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:45 am
by ScotL » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:09 am

You mentioned bumming one of your wife's skirts. Significant others is another theme that gets a lot of attention herein. I'm one of the lucky ones in that I have no issues with my spouse in the matter of our clothing choices -- except I'd better not raid her skirts, but it is fine for her to "borrow" mine! :D
Yes, I bummed hers without asking cause I was in quarantine and wondered what it was like. Especially given the idol was of quarantine and comfort of lying there in a towel.
She’s been remarkably supportive. I recently had to give a work presentation and wondered if I should dress up and wear a kilt. I thought she’d say no, not now. But she said to go for it and I did. Got great comments from all but mostly from the women.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

That too is the typical response, more complements from the ladies. I once started a thread: That rare male compliment -- it doesn't get much traffic. :(
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Welcome from way down the bottom end of the planet, here in New Zealand !

there are a lot of good folk here - and a myriad of experiences/advice from all manner of perspectives.
I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile.

regards
NZF
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:18 am That too is the typical response, more complements from the ladies. I once started a thread: That rare male compliment -- it doesn't get much traffic. :(
In markedly limited experience wearing kilts publicly, men may seem to comment only when they’re alone. One of the first experiences I had openly wearing a kilt, a man in a golf cart whizzing down the street slammed on the brakes to remark how great the look was. I was with the wife then. I find women comment about them way more often and usually when I’m not with my wife
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

And from North Central Texas,
:welcome:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)