New Here

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Re: New Here

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Sinned wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:41 pm You have to realise that Primark uses Asian sizing so their sizes will run small and the larger sizes are rationed.
It certainly seems that way, a size 20 just fits over my hips, but H&M large fits over my belly (in line with my belly button) as well which is where I prefer to wear a skater skirt as it looks best there.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I have more or less given up on women's sizing: I take a tape measure to the charity shop!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hola from Ticolandia (Costa Rica)

You are already well along on your journey to skirting -- congratulations -- it took many of us here years to get there. You will find it move more readily after the first few rounds in public.

I liked the "mind-game" you played with yourself to relieve the first tremors of buying skirts in a brick and mortar store. That too will soon fade. I rather like the affirmation that comes with staff assistance, or the check-out clerk complimenting a selection.

I have found "elderly" folk a bit more forthright and questioning, but usually tolerant and nonjudgmental -- especially if you engage with them in an informative and friendly fashion -- they often surprise you with unexpectedly positive responses. Just another opportunity to proselytize for MIS! :)

I'm looking forward to hearing more of your adventures and journey.

Pura Vida
SkaterSkirtWearer

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:20 pm I have more or less given up on women's sizing: I take a tape measure to the charity shop!
That sounds very sensible, why not use the waist measurements in inches like mens jeans it is easy to understand. That’s why women buy and return so much stuff.
Faldaguy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 am Hola from Ticolandia (Costa Rica)

You are already well along on your journey to skirting -- congratulations -- it took many of us here years to get there. You will find it move more readily after the first few rounds in public.

I liked the "mind-game" you played with yourself to relieve the first tremors of buying skirts in a brick and mortar store. That too will soon fade. I rather like the affirmation that comes with staff assistance, or the check-out clerk complimenting a selection.

I have found "elderly" folk a bit more forthright and questioning, but usually tolerant and nonjudgmental -- especially if you engage with them in an informative and friendly fashion -- they often surprise you with unexpectedly positive responses. Just another opportunity to proselytize for MIS! :)

I'm looking forward to hearing more of your adventures and journey.

Pura Vida

Thanks am hoping to visit somewhere quieter (like go for an early morning walk) soon while skirted. Find the denim skirt I purchased from Primark really comfortable but have several other skirts to choose from.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

SkaterSkirtWearer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:35 am I have managed to find a decent denim skirt for myself from Primark, I managed to also muster up the courage to buy it with no issue, a child of about 5 or 6 said something (parents shut the child up) but apart from that no issue, from a distance it looks like I am wearing shorts. Next hurdle is wearing them in public. This is the skirt I bought and luckily they have plenty in size 20 in stock in the store nearest me as it ran small https://www.primark.com/en-gb/p/cotton ... 024668504 . I went in with a mindset of shopping for a partner (which I do not have) and it helped reduce the anxiety from the potential comments. Surprisingly the pockets do fit my iPhone 12 Pro no issue but I don't think the Pro Max would fit.
Looks great! People see through the "shopping for girlfriend" line, especially if at first we appear apprehensive at picking the skirt from the rack / furtively rolling it so it doesnt look so obvious whilst queuing at the till... some may say "if it doesn't fit her, just bring it back with the tags on please" with a knowing look. :wink: Skirt shopping whilst skirted has been good for me in the past, just look on Reddit and other social media to see the thousands of "femboys" out there that post frequently (not the path we venture down, but boys buying or wearing skirts is not new).

Zara and Levi's do some great jeans skirts, well worth a look 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
SkaterSkirtWearer

new2skirts wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:52 pm
SkaterSkirtWearer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:35 am I have managed to find a decent denim skirt for myself from Primark, I managed to also muster up the courage to buy it with no issue, a child of about 5 or 6 said something (parents shut the child up) but apart from that no issue, from a distance it looks like I am wearing shorts. Next hurdle is wearing them in public. This is the skirt I bought and luckily they have plenty in size 20 in stock in the store nearest me as it ran small https://www.primark.com/en-gb/p/cotton ... 024668504 . I went in with a mindset of shopping for a partner (which I do not have) and it helped reduce the anxiety from the potential comments. Surprisingly the pockets do fit my iPhone 12 Pro no issue but I don't think the Pro Max would fit.
Looks great! People see through the "shopping for girlfriend" line, especially if at first we appear apprehensive at picking the skirt from the rack / furtively rolling it so it doesnt look so obvious whilst queuing at the till... some may say "if it doesn't fit her, just bring it back with the tags on please" with a knowing look. :wink: Skirt shopping whilst skirted has been good for me in the past, just look on Reddit and other social media to see the thousands of "femboys" out there that post frequently (not the path we venture down, but boys buying or wearing skirts is not new).

Zara and Levi's do some great jeans skirts, well worth a look 8)
Thanks for the advice, I think I have enough skirts for now so probably won’t be buying another for a while but will see what they have in stock in these places. Primark are good now as they show what is in store on the website, useful for preventing a wasted trip if they don’t have your size.