New Here

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
SkaterSkirtWearer

New Here

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Hello, I’m Kieran and have been lurking for a while on these forums.
I recently got into wearing Skirts after seeing how much more comfortable women are when wearing these garments in warmer weather. I ordered a couple of basic black skater skirts off eBay which originally were from H&M as the flaring out of the material and stretchy nature allowed for a modest and comfortable fit. I also have a few pencil and bodycon skirts I have tried but found them too close fitting to be worn outside (not that I have done that with any of the skirts yet).
I ordered a plain black pleated and black denim skirt today to try out from asos after chickening out buying some in a Primark while visiting Leeds. I genuinely believe clothes are clothes and the amount of times I see girls wearing clothes of their other halves I don’t see what the issue is with men wearing some of theirs.
What challenges I face include: moving back to family trying to explain my skirt collection after leaving student accommodation in York, buying skirts in physical stores for fear of judgement from staff and other customers, and wearing a skirt in public as part of my normal attire (may be difficult in North Norfolk as it is full of judgemental old folk).
I will share some pictures of the skirts later on!!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Here

Post by SkirtsDad »

Welcome! You should find a lot of useful threads for new skirt wearers. I look forward to seeing some pics.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome SSW. You're obviously young and have a lifetime of skirt wearing in front of you. This old Irish fossil still loves cavorting around in skaters. I have two with pockets, which I find very useful.
As a York resident you are near Sinned (Dennis) who will no doubt welcome you himself.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
SkaterSkirtWearer

Thanks for the warm welcome, received my Asos parcel, unfortunately the denim skirt did not fit but the pleated one fits. Being tall and slightly overweight it can be difficult to find skirts that fit. H&M large tends to fit providing there is some stretch to the material (I prefer anyway for comfort) and anywhere else can be a minefield (luckily Asos has free returns). Attached are some photos of me wearing the various skirts I own.

Kieran
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Those skater skirts look good and are no doubt very comfortable. The challenge is finding ones with pockets, great in summer and good fun with a strong breeze.
Oh, and welcome to the Cafe.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
SkaterSkirtWearer

None of the skater skirts have pockets which is a shame, the denim skirt I ordered from asos did have pockets but did not fit even ordering an 18 which the other skirt did fit from them. After reading the reviews it said I would need a 22 in that denim to fit, I keep looking for one!!
New-in-Skirts

Post by New-in-Skirts »

Welcome SkaterSkirtWearer from the states here Illinois to be exact. Enjoy your skirts
vendeebeaches

Post by vendeebeaches »

Hi. I buy most of my skirts from Primark including trying them on in store, i've never had a problem with any of the staff young,old,male or female.
SkaterSkirtWearer

vendeebeaches wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:20 am Hi. I buy most of my skirts from Primark including trying them on in store, i've never had a problem with any of the staff young,old,male or female.
I may have to visit Primark again soon!! Only live 5 minutes from the York City Centre one.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome SSW. I have bought skirts from Primark and if you see one that you like you need to grab it because you probably won't see it on the rack again.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkaterSkirtWearer

I have managed to find a decent denim skirt for myself from Primark, I managed to also muster up the courage to buy it with no issue, a child of about 5 or 6 said something (parents shut the child up) but apart from that no issue, from a distance it looks like I am wearing shorts. Next hurdle is wearing them in public. This is the skirt I bought and luckily they have plenty in size 20 in stock in the store nearest me as it ran small https://www.primark.com/en-gb/p/cotton ... 024668504 . I went in with a mindset of shopping for a partner (which I do not have) and it helped reduce the anxiety from the potential comments. Surprisingly the pockets do fit my iPhone 12 Pro no issue but I don't think the Pro Max would fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Looks neat and, as you say, much the same look as shorts.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:31 pm Looks neat and, as you say, much the same look as shorts.
I am really happy with it, been wearing it all afternoon.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Welcome SSW.

I started out wearing skirts from Skirtcraft.com. You should look at the Unaligned skirt that has 4 big pockets (two with zippers) Your keys and wallet should fit nicely without any hassle. They call the skirt an Unisex skirt
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

You have to realise that Primark uses Asian sizing so their sizes will run small and the larger sizes are rationed.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.