G'day all

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Tazzmac

G'day all

Post by Tazzmac »

New to the forum ...I love my kilts and wear them mostly for bushwalking and hiking . I own a few traditional ones but I tend to favour the utility kilts and like them around 20-22 " .. My family is Scottish and Irish heritage but even if I wasn't I;d still love kilts .. In regard to skirts I have often wondered what would happen if suddenly the barriers were lifted for blokes to chuck on a skirt and call it such . It still amazes me that girls can basically wear anything without much fallout but a man does the same and they are regarded by many as crackers or something ..
I cannot wear my kilts to work so I also feel somewhat ostracised and discriminated but my female workmates can wear shortish skirts to slacks so how is that fair ?
Recently I found an incredible picture in Pinterest of a youngish lad maybe aged about 13 or 14 I guess .. He was dressed as a scout . He also happened to be wearing a female kilt (lap going to the left with kilt pin that same side ) . He had long socks to just below the knee and of course his scout troupe shirt and kerchief .. He looked amazing .. It wasn't outright a kilt , certainly not specifically male but it worked brilliantly and changed my mind on how a look like that was incredible ...

Not sure at my age (over 60) that I could so that and look remotely good but for brave young fella's like him it would be fantastic to be able to wear something like that with impunity ...

This forum looks like great fun and I hope to be a regular contributor to the cause of kilts and skirts for us blokes... Cheers all...
Uncle Al

Re: G'day all

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome: and enjoy the conversation :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Greetings, Tazzmac. :salut: Is "Tazz" a reference to Tasmania? I did some bushwalking there about 35 years ago.

I believe that the female garment is called a kilted skirt.

And, no, its not fair.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Howdy Mate, Welcome to the Cafe. Feel free to join in on any conversation you fancy. I have been wearing skirts and dresses exclusively for 10 years now. Don't even own a pair of trousers.

Fred
Last edited by Uncle Al on Thu May 19, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Typo
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Tazzmac wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:43 am Recently I found an incredible picture in Pinterest of a youngish lad maybe aged about 13 or 14 I guess .. He was dressed as a scout . He also happened to be wearing a female kilt (lap going to the left with kilt pin that same side).
There's some quite sophisticated use of Photoshop on Pinterest, and I think that may be an example.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:26 pm
Tazzmac wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:43 am Recently I found an incredible picture in Pinterest of a youngish lad maybe aged about 13 or 14 I guess .. He was dressed as a scout . He also happened to be wearing a female kilt (lap going to the left with kilt pin that same side).
There's some quite sophisticated use of Photoshop on Pinterest, and I think that may be an example.
It could be the photo was reversed(mirrored image). I've seen many pic's that way and the easy
way to tell is if any writing is backward.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

G'day all again.. Thanks for the warm welcome from the responders ...It's great . It also looks like a really fun forum . I'm a member of a Ford car forum , a model rail forum (my favourite hobby ) a couple of golf forums that I still play lots of and a Kilt forum .. Not new to forums in general but certainly to this one . Yes , Tasmania . Beaut part of the world and where I've lived all my life .. Regarding the photoshop mention of the scout in a kilt that caught my attention . Not saying it isn't but it looks genuine to me . The kilt used to and still is at times a part of scout life I understand . Certainly in it's earlier history . The kilt the young bloke is modeling in the photo appears to be a girls version but that doesn't matter . It just looks fantastic and the model carries it off spectacularly well in my humble opinion .

It to me exemplifies why males should be able to choose undivided clothing like this freely and I'd strongly suggest that if more blokes got over the fear of ridicule and tried on a kilt/skirt they might be genuinely surprised how liberating it really is .

I really only have kilts to be honest but one particular brand (Mountain Hardware) made a more skirt like kilt that is one of my favourites ,, It's only about 20" hem but made of an extremely light and quick drying material that is perfect for bushwalking in the rain ..Sadly not made like that any more . Kilts and I dare say skirts are brilliant , comfy , practical in utility kilt mode (lots of pockets) and different to the norm .. Can't wait to engage in many of the topics on Skirtcafe ... Cheers..
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

G'doy to you, Tazzmac. Welcome from a like-sized island polar opposite to you. A few years ago there was a then regular contributor to this Forum under the name Tassierob, who lived on Van Diemons Land and submitted pics of himself wearing a neat forest green kilt. I wonder might he resurface, now you are here?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

Thanks...He might one day .. That's good to know . Kilts are just fun . I wish they were used more for us down trodden blokes (fashion wise} ordinary blokes . I really do . They make perfect sense in all reality and are WAY MORE comfy and unrestricted than shorts . I still mainly wear shorts in the warmer months down in Tassie and longs for work in the winter but as I do a lot of bushwalking all year round , even avoiding Tiger snakes quite often I can't wait to chuck on a wool 5 oz kilt in cold weather or a cotton or denim utility kilt in the summer .. Blokes who don't truly do not realise what they're missing ..
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

A delinquent welcome (late, not ill-mannered) to SC. Seems there was yet another chap recently from your neck of the woods, or perhaps ye in another part of the forum? A hearty welcome never-the-less from one who has spent a little time on your island -- far more recently than Kirbstone talks about as I think the history books tell us the name Tasmania came into being in the mid 1800's -- but, hey Tom does claim some seniority here!

Spent most of my days there in skirts, no Tassie Devils attacked; and the Wallabies were not deterred by the skirt for attention or handouts. A few looks at the Mona was pretty amazing given the wild collection of other sights there to grab one's attention. The Tassie call "come down for air" could form some colorful comments in this forum; or the Tassie "Your Natural State" provides openings for member JIm and others....so, let's hear it from the resident experts. :wink: