New here

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
timothydavid

New here

Post by timothydavid »

Hi All! I'm Timothy. I am new here and looking forward to expand my knowledge about fashion. Learning is essential part of creating or commenting about fashion and I am here for both.
Uncle Al

Re: New here

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome to the Cafe, please have a latte, a seat by the potted palm and tell us a little about yourself. Join in discussions as the more that you contribute the more you will get out. And happy skirting.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Hello! I’m new to the cafe. I’ve known about it but never joined for some reason until I rediscovered it during my internet exploration of men wearing kilts and skirts. I guess I have needed validation or justification for my “off-kilter” clothing preferences which I have had for quite some time- no longer for myself but for those in my life who may question my tastes. Yes, I have come more and more to adopt the “who cares what anyone thinks” or “life is too short” to not to do something that is so frivolous, yet pleasing to me, such as wearing a kilt or a skirt despite what someone else might think.

That mantra is of course much easier when applied to strangers than to people such as significant others or family and friends. My Lady stated early on in our now eight-year plus relationship that she likes men “to look like men” and women “to look like women”. Needless to say, pun intended, I “skirted” this issue with her for years.

For as long as I can remember I envied females for their more expansive, comfortable, colorful, and fun clothing options. I questioned my sexual identity and experimented with some private, at home only cross-dressing. I am 100% straight, as masculine as the average guy, and am quite happy being a male, so I eventually came to realize that I just like wearing skirts. There’s nothing else to it. I like the feel and look of skirts, the later of which, especially on women!

Then along came the crack in the door, the man-skirt: the kilt- specifically the utility kilt, which looks more like a cargo skirt than a traditional kilt. I made my first kilt purchase in 2017 and haven’t looked back- now totaling 21, including utility, tartan, and hiking kilts. I wear them regularly, at home and out and about. My Lady, who at first met my new attire with mildly disparaging looks and comments, has at least accepted my unusual bottom clothing choices. She has even bought me some tartan kilt accessories. Perhaps she has come to realize, as I have, that most people just don’t care about what I’m wearing.

That being said, I am still very hesitant to broach the skirt topic with her. I still find skirts to be more comfortable, from feel to weight. Plus, skirts are A LOT cheaper than kilts! My stashed skirt and skort collection rivals my kilts in number, but I wear them only rarely when I’m home alone. My two teenage daughters are also not thrilled with my kilted attire, but that’s their problem of immaturity and self sense of coolness.

Someday I’m sure I will break out a skirt for public wear. The self confidence has grown with public kilt wearing, but I’m still not comfortable in front of all people, particularly without my significant other by my side to “prove my sexuality”. The older I get I’m sure I will care less and less, and hopefully my Lady will accept a skirted man in her life. After all, it’s just a term. A kilt is technically a type of skirt by definition. Society needs to get passed ridiculous labels. A guy in a skirt is still a guy unless he’s trying to look femme, which I’m not (nothing against guys who do).

Kilt and skirt on!

PS - for those who haven’t tried them: Helikon-Tex tactical skirts are awesome: they fit the male physique well and have numerous, DEEP and practical pockets!!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Welcome! I recognise that phase where you question your identity, only to discover you're a normal guy that happens to like skirts/dresses.

But I really responded to this:
Offkilter69 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:17 pm PS - for those who haven’t tried them: Helikon-Tex tactical skirts are awesome: they fit the male physique well and have numerous, DEEP and practical pockets!!
These appear to be available in Europe for reasonable price (~€30). Thanks for the suggestion!
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Yes, the Poland to US$ is favorable, but shipping costs more than a skirt—so buy more than one!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome to the cafe and are lucky as your partner has some acceptance of you appearing out in a kilt. As your next stage in skirt acceptance try knee-length tartan skirts and if you can find them with a front apron a la kilt then she may find them acceptable as they are kilt-like.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Offkilter69 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:01 pm Yes, the Poland to US$ is favorable, but shipping costs more than a skirt—so buy more than one!
Ok, so I'm seriously considering it, but I can't find any pictures of what the back looks like. Is there a slit, a pleat or is the fabric just stretchy?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The back will either be plain ( most commonly ) and resemble a skirt with an apron or have pleats.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:46 am Welcome! I recognise that phase where you question your identity, only to discover you're a normal guy that happens to like skirts/dresses.

But I really responded to this:
Offkilter69 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:17 pm PS - for those who haven’t tried them: Helikon-Tex tactical skirts are awesome: they fit the male physique well and have numerous, DEEP and practical pockets!!
These appear to be available in Europe for reasonable price (~€30). Thanks for the suggestion!
I have ordered one of these, and will let you know how I get on.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

The Helikon Tex tactical skirts have slits in the back. The denim skirt is stretchy in addition to having a slit, making it very comfortable. They are somewhat short depending on your height at 18.5 inches for the 34 waist, but the cut is good for a guy. Some reviews from women complained that they are tight on curvy hips— including my lady. The pockets are great, better than on any other shorts or utility kilt that I own.

I also noticed that Amazon and Military 1st have restocked them now, minus the dark denim.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

My only criticism of these skirts is a shorter zip fly that zips on the left, as women’s pants often do— no biggie.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Offkilter69 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:26 pm The Helikon Tex tactical skirts have slits in the back. The denim skirt is stretchy in addition to having a slit, making it very comfortable. They are somewhat short depending on your height at 18.5 inches for the 34 waist, but the cut is good for a guy.
Unfortunately the only UK stockists I've found (including Amazon) don't offer any sizes north of 34 waist, which would rule them out for quite a few of us here :-(
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Yes, 34 is the largest size that is made.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Offkilter69 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:34 pmYes, 34 is the largest size that is made.
And that rules out a large percentage of the adult male population.

I'm as skinny as a rail and have a waist of 36 inches.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!