New here

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New here

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:37 pm
Offkilter69 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:34 pmYes, 34 is the largest size that is made.
And that rules out a large percentage of the adult male population.

I'm as skinny as a rail and have a waist of 36 inches.
I'm far from skinny and have a 31" waist. But I'm not big. It's easy to find skirts that fit in a resale store--harder to get some with good pockets.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:54 pmI'm far from skinny and have a 31" waist. But I'm not big. It's easy to find skirts that fit in a resale store--harder to get some with good pockets.
A lot of guys are somewhat "rotund" and the lack of larger sizes cuts them out of the equation. I'm an oddball in that I'm 6'4 vertically and a 36" waist -- and folks are worried whether I'm anorexic. (Not that I know of; I merely eat what I need. My frame can easily carry 200 pounds, but I weigh just a shade over 160.) That's one reason I like skirts with some volume to them!

The shots of me in my Pics and Looks thread from the late 2000s and the early 2010s show what I look like carrying about 205 pounds. A decade of stress and travails has taken a toll, and I need to alter a lot of my clothing so it'll just stay on me at this point.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Offkilter69 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:26 pm The Helikon Tex tactical skirts have slits in the back. The denim skirt is stretchy in addition to having a slit, making it very comfortable. They are somewhat short depending on your height at 18.5 inches for the 34 waist, but the cut is good for a guy. Some reviews from women complained that they are tight on curvy hips— including my lady. The pockets are great, better than on any other shorts or utility kilt that I own.
Well, mine has arrived. It's a 32" and comfortable. I managed to get it in drab green, and it actually looks very similar to a short skirt I already have (2nd hand, George from Asda), with the big difference that it is positively bristling with pockets. It also has many broad belt loops, and velcro rather than a button fastening at the waist, which allows for more precise adjustment. The material is polycotton with an inlaid square mesh (coincidentally the same as a recently bought pair of trousers). I wore it into town (with shirt, long socks, and shoes, as it it were a pair of shorts), and had one comment about my "bangin' skirt", which I think was positive (if I interpreted the tone correctly).
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

I have a 36 inch waist, and the size 34 fits fine. They’re sized like USA pant sizes: smaller than the actual measurement. I also have a 33 that fits so-so with help from the Velcro closer, but is a bit tighter that I feel is comfortable at this stage of my life. It’s more and more about comfort for me, which is one of the primary reasons kilts and skirts are appealing!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Offkilter69 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:35 pm I have a 36 inch waist, and the size 34 fits fine. They’re sized like USA pant sizes: smaller than the actual measurement. I also have a 33 that fits so-so with help from the Velcro closer, but is a bit tighter that I feel is comfortable at this stage of my life. It’s more and more about comfort for me, which is one of the primary reasons kilts and skirts are appealing!
Thanks! That's good info. I'll have to look into one of these here at some point soon...
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Sure- I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! The denim one is fairly stretchy as well.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Given the hopeful sizing information here I've ordered one as well. I'll let you know how it turns out.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

So the skirt (the Helikon-Tex Urban Tactical Skirt PolyCotton Ribstop Black size 34) finally arrived and I'm pleased with it. The size 34 is the largest size and it fits fine on my 92-96cm waist and there's room to grow. It's got some Velcro to adjust the size but I didn't need to move it. Lots of pockets which is really nice. The material is a little bit stretchy so it doesn't get in the way.

Now if only it would stop raining. I know, the farmers are happy with it and we could use the water, but still...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:19 pm So the skirt (the Helikon-Tex Urban Tactical Skirt PolyCotton Ribstop Black size 34) finally arrived and I'm pleased with it. The size 34 is the largest size and it fits fine on my 92-96cm waist and there's room to grow. It's got some Velcro to adjust the size but I didn't need to move it. Lots of pockets which is really nice. The material is a little bit stretchy so it doesn't get in the way.
More good sizing info. Kinda wish it didn't have Velcro, but I'll deal. I'll probably need a 31 or 32. I had been thinking 32 or 33.