Hi All

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
maninafrock

Hi All

Post by maninafrock »

Had a good look round the cafe, like what I've seen so reckon it's time to introduce myself. I live out in the sticks in a beautiful part of Scotland's border country, 70 years young, married with a very supportive wife. I'm a newcomer to skirting, well dresses actually. For a number of years I had been experiencing discomfort when wearing anything restrictive round my waist. It suddenly became far worse shortly after Covid struck and the phone consultations with doctors weren't very helpful. My wife altered a dress pattern to make a long robe type thing for me to wear about the house and it was very comfortable. It wasn't at all feminine like and I had no qualms about wearing it in the garden. My only complaint was that it was dark purple and I think it made me look like a monk! We looked on line for something similar but most stuff was bright and garish so she ordered more material to make me a couple more (by this time we were calling them my frocks). I felt great wearing them - so much so that I started venturing out to the local shops wearing one. The big milestone event came when we were shopping in a Matalan store and my wife pointed out a couple of dresses which she said would suit me! The rest, as they say, is history. I'm now sitting in the Skirtcafe with a big grin on my face. Health problems more or less sorted but no way am I giving up my dresses (now have more than my wife!). I wear them 99% of the time - even had two week holiday in south of England when I didn't even take a pair of trousers with us. Never used to bother about my appearance but now I feel I need to look smart if I'm wearing a dress. At 70 I feel I've been given a new lease in life!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi All

Post by Kirbstone »

Great story, MF. I'm quite envious actually, that your Spouse is an active player. At your advanced age you don't have to give a toss what other people think of your appearance, apparel or dress.

Now young things like me need to be very particular about demeanour, deportment, dress &c as we emerge daily from our chrysalises. I do wish MOH was on board like yours.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Welcome to the cafe and thanks for the great story of your debut into dresses.
The term frock isn't used much in Australia, probably due to our perchant with rhyming words.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Welcome to the site. Great starter post and even better with your wife fully supportive! You are a very lucky man there.
As you will find, a lot of men have issues with their other half. Some grudgingly accept, others tolerate it but quite a few outright do not want 'their man' in a skirt or dress even though they advocate equality for men and women generally.
That last one is where I am sadly so I only wear skirts outside the home or if she isnt at home. :(

Hope to keep in touch and enjoy the fact that you are not alone in enjoying your dresses/frocks. :D
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Wonderful story which almost exactly matches my own experience. I too have a wonderful supportive wife and started wearing skirts and dresses because of post op pain from groin surgery. I wear skirts and dresses as a matter of course and only wear trousers in bad weather. Travel has never been a problem and this includes anywhere and everywhere in the UK plus holidays in Scandinavia. We are currently on holiday near Ullapool and have only put on trousers for hill walking in near storm conditions.
Welcome to the cafe!!!
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

Thanks for the replies. Until I joined the cafe I hadn't realised just how many others there were like me. And a fair number from Scotland. Makes me wonder why I've never seen another skirter. Or have I been like 99% of the population and never notice what's going on around me?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

maninafrock wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:47 pmMakes me wonder why I've never seen another skirter. Or have I been like 99% of the population and never notice what's going on around me?
For all that we seem to be a good-sized crowd, the bald fact remains that we are very, very "thin on the ground" in the world at large. In fact, other than arranged circumstances, I think I have seen only a single guy wearing a skirt as a guy -- and that was in 1986!

I've met a few members here, but those were "pre-arranged" and thus predictable.

The above is precisely why we need to "do better" is getting out there and present something worthy of emulation.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, maninafrock!

0 - 60 in 5 seconds, very impressive! Of course, having a wife who is not only accepting but actively encouraging you is an enormous help. My wife dropped her objections (in most circumstances) after about 7 years, and I'm one of the lucky ones!

Do you have children and grandchildren, do they know about your new style, and what has their response been?

Let us know about your adventuresinafrock. Ideally there won't be much to report, because nobody seems to care very much.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:41 pm
maninafrock wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:47 pmMakes me wonder why I've never seen another skirter. Or have I been like 99% of the population and never notice what's going on around me?
For all that we seem to be a good-sized crowd, the bald fact remains that we are very, very "thin on the ground" in the world at large. In fact, other than arranged circumstances, I think I have seen only a single guy wearing a skirt as a guy -- and that was in 1986!

I've met a few members here, but those were "pre-arranged" and thus predictable.

The above is precisely why we need to "do better" is getting out there and present something worthy of emulation.
I know I've spotted a few Utilikilts on others in the wild, and I've seen a surprising number of skirts (including sarongs and kilts, but some plain skirts) out hiking on other male backpackers, but aside from that I'll agree it's rare. And I imagine we are more likely to notice other men wearing skirts than the general population. Kind of like how you notice others driving the same type of car you own.

I go out skirted a bit, but I'm not out that often (regardless of attire) for anything but work. And no, I don't wear skirts at work. But I've definitely been out and seen in the wild on occasion.

But look at the numbers. How many members do we have here? The count appears to be 1328 at the moment. Not all male, and some still working up the courage to go out skirted. Many wear skirts part time. And spread all over the (English speaking, primarily) world. Just the United States is over 300 million people.
Not every male skirt wearer is on here, but you get the idea. We're a tiny group.

I've met guys who enthusiasticly tell me that they wear kilts... to special events. I get a good deal of positive interest in what I'm wearing. But how many follow through? How many are willing to make something so unusual their regular wear and become "the guy in the skirt," instead of Bob or Larry or whoever?

I do believe there are a lot of guys who are curious and would like to try a skirt. I know I didn't go down this road until I ran into some skirt wearing hikers and found a few supportive friends. Seeing others helps a lot.

So yes, for it to catch on, we need to be out there and seen in something people can get on board with.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Oh, and welcome to the cafe, maninafrock!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hola and welcome from a small spot on the globe. As a fulltime skirt wearing male, I can echo the comments about 'nobody seems to care' -- which is what it should be, but neither do many others seem to join in. I've had several ladies inquire about my religion, perhaps as I'm often in a long plain skirt -- so I suspect you may find this too in your "frocks". It does provide an opening for 'ministry on skirts'!

And though a few guys have told me they have worn skirts in other venues, rarely have I seen a man in genuine skirt -- more oft a kilt or utiliskirt type garment. That is good, but does not expand the 'approved' boundry much. Your frocks should open some doors and fun, as well as provide comfort -- sounds like a winning combination. Oh, and keep that woman --it is hard to find supportive spouses -- lots of support outside the home, but darn....why so few from within? (I am one of the lucky ones.) Anyway, welcome, and keep posting.

Pura vida from Ticolandia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

As a full time skirt wearer I can say with out a doubt that it seems no one cares what you are wearing.
All of my clothes come from the other side of the aisle, I do not wear trous or tights and only skirts not kilts or utility kilts. So after about 10 years I can honestly say I have had only 2 comments that were not good.
Fred
Last edited by Uncle Al on Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected a typo
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

Skirtyscot - Have no close family so that's not a problem. We live out in the country so tend not to get unannounced visitors. When we do have friends over I break 'em in gently. If they've not seen me "dressed" before I'll wear a plain dark or denim like robe type thing, I keep a couple for such occasions. Next time I see them I'll be wearing something knee length. Thereafter they just have to take me as I am - which these days is usually a "little black dress" style thing. I did put the word round a while ago that I was going to start wearing robes for comfort and, as yet, nobody has said anything.
Faldaguy - Although they are dresses (frocks) I wear - for comfort - I'll usually team them up with a thin jumper so it looks like I'm wearing a skirt. Would like to say I wear them all the time but have to confess only wear dresses 99% of the time. I had to don a pair of jeans a few weeks ago to clear some overgrown brambles!
Having a four day break in Redditch in a couple of weeks and I certainly wont be taking any trousers!
Jackie
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

My first attempt at adding pics - not sure if it will work. MOH not keen on uploading photos on internet - hence the decapitation! Both are short sleeved little black dress styles coupled with suitable jumper. The jumper will come off when the weather gets warmer. Been out a number of times in these and not aware of being stared at.
Jackie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

They both look ok. I admit that I have thought of using the same tactic as I just haven't the confidence to wear a LBD just on its own. I know it's about me and others on this site wear dresses all the time. Maybe I will eventually learn. But then I have another half that would not be supportive.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.