A leap into the water

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Midimaxi

A leap into the water

Post by Midimaxi »

That'd be the chilly water of Yorkshire's River Wharfe.

So after a very long period of depression and counselling, I've finally found that trying to hide my desire to wear skirts was a big cause of my problems. And on Saturday I finally bought my first skirt and first dress, and my family saw a different side of me.

On Monday I spent my first day working from home in a skirt, and today 3 more gorgeous skirts were delivered. I opened the front door to one delivery man who didn't bat an eyelid at my swishy black and silver midi skirt, and as soon as he had gone there was the postman at the back door (with my new skirts) who also behaved as if everything was normal.

I don't think I'm trans, I just feel like a bearded man who needs to show some femininity, and who loves the swish, swirl and float of skirts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: A leap into the water

Post by crfriend »

Welcome to the deep end, Midimaxi. Quite unlike the rivers of Yorkshire, these waters tend to be warm and gentle, but with some occasional turbulence. You'll get used to the latter.

It cannot be stressed strongly enough that one does not have to be "trans" in order to enjoy skirts. There are those who try to link the two, but there is no reason in doing so. Skirts are comfortable as an article of clothing. Full stop. It's idiocy to confine the wearing of such a simple piece of cloth to roughly 1/2 of the population only.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Midimax, I have been wearing skirts now for over 7 years, I am 77 years old and wish I had started earlier. I am not trans in anyway and now only wear skirts and dresses period. It has been almost 6 years since I wore a pair of pants or shorts.

I have found in all that time that no one cares a fig what I am wearing as long as I am wearing something. :lol:

Today I went to the doctors and Wal-Mart and nothing was said nor were there any weird looks coming my way.

So grab that skirt or dress and go to town or anywhere else you want to. It's all good!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome aboard;
I'm sorry you had to suffer depression and counseling to get to the simple freedom of expressing your own sense of being and style -- but it sounds like you must have had some good counseling and gained insights that will help you along this new path. And like most paths, they sometimes have turns, hills, depressions and twists one never expected -- but almost always the discoveries are good.

I'm another bearded guy, too lazy to shave! I guess that is just another aspect of putting comfort and practicality ahead of conformity.... though I'm not sure what it is we a "conforming" to except what we perceive other deem appropriate, which is a pretty silly concept! Anyway, I wear my skirts of many styles everywhere and nary a problem, unless compliments from the occasional lady bothers you! (Comments or compliments from men are rare in my experience...they may comment on your shirt, or car, or just ignore you -- but no hassles.)

You've got a fair number of cohorts there in the UK, maybe you will meet up in person, but meantime this forum is confirming, fun and full of surprising bits of useful and useless information -- enjoy!

From Faldaguy in Ticolandia
(Costa Rica)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Congratulations Midimaxi for taking the plunge.
No doubt it was not as cold, deep or shark infested as you anticipated. Some have have warned of the odd stinging jellyfish but I have not encountered one yet in 5 years of skirt wearing, just an elderly woman making a tutt, tutting noise like a kangaroo (they do go into the water).
It is great for you to be able to be yourself and enjoy the skirts that you like. I also have facial hair (short clipped, not a full grown beard like Carl) and I have some hair on my legs so I doubt that people would consider me a transexual ot tranvestite but I don't care if they do.
I am often attracted to frilly or colourful skirts because they are so cheerful and fun and I disregard any sterotypical gender related interpretations associated with my personal preferences.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Midimaxi

Post by Midimaxi »

Thank you for your warm welcome! I think I'm going to like it here.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

crfriend wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:55 pm
It cannot be stressed strongly enough that one does not have to be "trans" in order to enjoy skirts. There are those who try to link the two, but there is no reason in doing so. Skirts are comfortable as an article of clothing. Full stop. It's idiocy to confine the wearing of such a simple piece of cloth to roughly 1/2 of the population only.
Regarding the half of the population. One comment to add. Something that most of the modern Western world seems to have forgotten or completely ignores. Men used to and still effectively wear skirts or robes. several people group wear the longyi, sarong, lava lava, kilts , to name a few. And if you look at old artwork and historical writings, like the Egyptians and Greek history. They are wearing basically skirts. So skirts on men are not really new at all when you look at history. Why is the modern world stuck on skirts being feminine.

Yes welcome to our humble cafe. You will like it here.
Lots of skirt wearing men and women here, and lots of great discussion about a many diverse range of topics.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
kgrimard

Post by kgrimard »

I wear skirts and dresses daily now. I have not had a bad comment about it at all. no one seems to pay any attention to is at all.
enjoy wearing them. it will make you fell good about yourself.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

misha, don't bother to quote the historical aspects of the skirt, as far as MOH is concerned then was then, different ages and different dress standards, different climes, and now is now - if we go back far enough do we all start wearing furs and toting clubs? As far as quoting skirts in other lands then her attitude is, go and move there then. She's only interested in our local environs and doesn't see any men in our locale wearing a skirt , apart from me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Dennis, I truly fell sorry for you. To have a wife who can't see beyond her own door step must be really hard for you. But don't give up keep trying to get the message across and maybe some day it will sink in.....

Remember this--- Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes..
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Midimaxi

Post by Midimaxi »

Working from home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I don't think I'm trans, I just feel like a bearded man who needs to show some femininity, and who loves the swish, swirl and float of skirts.
By George, you've got it!

Now don't lose it. Just keep being you, with your head held high and with as much poise, self-confidence and self-assurance as you can muster. Even if you have to fake it your first few times out in public.

But here's the deal, you're happier now in your skirts and dress than you've ever been and people are drawn to happy. No matter how it's dressed.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Midimaxi

Post by Midimaxi »

So today I headed out for the first time in a skirt (or to be absolutely accurate, the first time in 31 years, although that's a story for a different time).

Wearing a black, ankle-length Laura Ashley skirt, I drove to a shopping centre in the third town along from here (my wife has banned me from going into our local town for the moment). It was lunchtime and busy, and part of me wondered how I would find the courage to get out of the car, but I was curiously heartened by seeing a young woman wearing a lovely burgundy midi skirt who was helping an elderly relative get out of a nearby car; I thought "at least she understands how good it feels", and that calmed me.

So I remembered what you said about poise and faked confidence, and strode across to the shops. No one showed any sign that anything was out of the ordinary or wrong, I heard no comments and didn't notice any embarrassed or hostile glances. I found what I needed to buy and stood in a queue for 3 or 4 minutes waiting to be served. Again, there was nothing unusual about the cashier's reaction.

I felt fantastic, loving the feeling of fabric and movement around my legs. I was just sad I only had 15 minutes to spare.

And I can't wait to do it again!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Midimaxi, now you've really been bitten! Coming in from a successful outing, with no perceived opposition, you just can't wait to do it again. Oh, the zeal of the newly converted. I have been out often in York, mainly the outskirts such as Monks Cross or Clifton Moor, while skirted and it's entirely a non-event. Opposition there was none. Welcome to the cafe. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Wearing a black, ankle-length Laura Ashley skirt, I drove to a shopping centre in the third town along from here (my wife has banned me from going into our local town for the moment).
Now that you have a taste of the experience; have found the many comments here about it being a "non-event" accurate; and are ready to go again....keep in mind the possibility of inviting your wife to join you in a couple of those towns down the road, and she too will gain confidence that it is no big deal. Before long you can both wander in your own village comfortably without any cringe factor, and some joy for new opportunities, experiences, and often new welcomes from folks you've not really connected with before.

Congratulations, and may your skirts become the norm -- at least for you -- others may be a ways behind!

Pura vida,