Another Newbie

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Gardevoir

Another Newbie

Post by Gardevoir »

Hello everybody,

I've been lurking here for about month now. I lurked on r/crossdressing before now, but that community was less in line with who I am, so I found this place. Decided to go ahead and take the plunge and make an account.

I'm in my mid 20's, located in the USA. I'm still new to the skirting scene. Was interested in the idea for awhile, then my SO convinced me to give it a shot late last year. Been wearing skirts around the house on a semi-regular basis ever since. I don't have any of my own; I borrow her outfits for the time being, with the eventual hope of getting some myself. She's super supportive, though, which is nice. I've only been out in public once, a quick trip to the local recycling center. Still not at all confident outside yet.

Since I only borrow for the moment, my skirt options are a bit limited. I'm the sort to prefer something longer. My longest outfits currently land just above the ankle, but I'm interested in the floor-length sort of skirt. I'm quite encouraged by all of the positive stories I read on here about going out in public, so I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

Gardevoir
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Another Newbie

Post by Rokje »

Welkom @ the Skirtcafe Gardevoir

Keep on skirting, the worries about people looking are only in your head.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hi and Wlecome to the cafe,
I also like long skirts, now that the weather is turning colder it will be mostly longer skirts for me!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Just get on with it! You are so lucky to have such positive support, make the most of it and go out together and buy skirts (and dresses). Live your life your way and there is no need to be frightened about going out. I was like you 15 years ago and soon found out there was nothing to worry about. In fact just the opposite as your overall self confidence will rise and people will not only be supportive but will admire you for strenght of character and not being a sheep.
The only time I wear trousers is in bad weather! I have way more skirts and dresses than trousers including 2 dresses made for me buy local dressmakes, one for a major birthday and one I more or less designed myself. If you can walk into a dressmakers and have a dress measured and made for you then there is nothing that will frighten you and you will regard yourself as being a more complete person.

A big welcome to the Cafe
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Most welcome Gardevoir.
I too have a supporting wife yet our taste is not to wear each others clothes, mostly because I'm a grubby work type and would only spoil her wardrobe :)
It took me a while, years, to bite the bullet. A well fitting skirt is just so comfortable to wear; something men of the twenty first century are missing out on.
Draw up a chair, take a sip of coffee and enjoy the company. :)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome aboard. You are so lucky in several ways; a supportive S.O. is huge and youth another factor in your favor. As you've seen from others here, the fears are only in your head. Sometimes getting outside of your usual area for the first few outing will help -- you will become assured the public really does not care, or in fact appreciates a man in a skirt; and then when you return to your usual domain it will be easier to meet your friends and acquaintances while skirted. Indeed confidence will grow.

In the early days I found it easier to 'not watch' for other's reactions, just go about my business as if everything was 'normal' (which essentially it was) and later it became interesting and informative rather than worrisome to watch other's responses. Shortly, it became boring to pay attention to others beyond what might arise in normal interactions anyway -- everything was just normal!

If it is still a bit uneasy buying your own skirts -- go with your girlfriend to a thrift store, shop skirts together, and then head for the dressing rooms together to try them (usually a couple of large ones for families or handicap are readily available at Goodwill stores. Soon you will be doing your own shopping and trying!

I'm envious of your wisdom and youth granting you an ease to expand upon your comfort and ability to be and express yourself.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Welcome! :D
Gardevoir

Post by Gardevoir »

I certainly appreciate the warm welcome from everybody! It's been a bit since I joined a forum; most of the other communities I'm involved with have since migrated to Discord or similar platforms, although I used to spend all my time in places like this. I did certainly find myself keeping my eyes down out in public, which may have drawn more attention to me but frankly was the easiest way to go about it; ignoring everyone.

I'm actually quite eager to go skirt shopping. The two of us just try not to make any trips not strictly necessary for the moment in light of the pandemic, and something like this would fall under "not strictly necessary", unfortunately. Believe me, the moment it's safe to be in public again, I'll be quite happy to go out and try on some outfits of my own. Of course, the flipside of that coin is that once the pandemic is over, I'll be expected to go to work, which is likely to entail "standard" men's outfits.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Gardevoir :D

If you get most of your "supplies" from a 'Big Box Store', ie: Walmart,
you can always cruise by the clothing section on the way to the check-outs.

This way, you're not INTENTIONALLY clothes shopping just getting what
you need ;) So a skirt MAY pop into the shopping cart as you go by :D
So what......(Enjoy them :D )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

Recently, while going on a mountain bike ride in the bush near here, I noticed someone had dumped some clothes at the edge of the parking lot. I salvage a couple of good knee length skirts from the pile. After washing, they fitted me perfectly.

Everyone here really appreciates that there is no community spread here, and no need for masks, just mild social distancing. Zero cases in the whole continent today, other than a few returning citizens in quarantine.

Meanwhile the US hits a quarter million dead...