Cafe lurkers need apply, please

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Cafe lurkers need apply, please

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Just wanted to send out a formal word of encouragement to our lurkers at large and non posting members.
Consider today your personal call to join us in conversation.
If you don't know where to start. Just start out with something brief and basic.
Where you are from, favorite type of skirt, how you got interested in skirts in the first place, etc.
Anything just let us know that you are out there and do exist.

This includes you low post, no post members. I see logged in members all the time, that have been a member for years and have made no posts. Or only one or two.
You will enjoy SC far more if you are a little more active.
I m Not asking you to write a lengthy dissertation on skirts, (you can if you want to)
We more active members would love to meet you in the digital world. So whether you lurk or are the silent type send out a hello.

Have a great skirted day! And remember :welcome: :welcome:

Mishawakaskirt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
davidkilt

Re: Cafe lurkers need apply, please

Post by davidkilt »

Just found SC today. First post/reply. I have been wearing kilts since my wife and I went to a scottish wedding a year ago. Working from home I am "kilted" most of the time. I have done country walks etc in a kilt and one or two town trips. I have just made my first kilt too, my work kilt is thick and heavy and very hot, I copied the pattern in a light polyester satin, shiny side in so it looks pretty "normal", it is crazy comfy. will be checking into the site to keep up on news etc.
Only dead fish go with the flow
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hi David and welcome to the cafe! How about sticking your own introductory thread in? Like you, I think my first dose of skirtery was a friends wedding, they booked a local hotel for the day and just about all the men were kilted, thanks to a block booking of kilts from a shop in Glasgow for those who didn't have their own.
I will never forget trying to video the groom, on the back of his Harley (Don't drink and drive kids, it's bad for your licence!), piloted by another friend, both in kilts, on the way to the wedding. Following them in a Transit while trying to film was nearly as memorable as watching the two of them in full regalia trying to get the bike to start! Pity we didn't get any video thanks to a duff battery!

Anyway, yep, it started with a kilt, now I have holidayed skirted, travel skirted and wear nothing but skirts when at home. The kilt hardly ever gets an outing, too heavy and way too expensive. I still like to wear it on special occasions though.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
davidkilt

Post by davidkilt »

I have posted on the sewing section, will do a newbie post asap
Only dead fish go with the flow
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Welcome to SkirtCafe! ;)
... Should I wait for your dedicated post before saying much things? :D
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I know i have been lacking in the posting part.
But i still post now and then, Alot depends on mood.
This year its been up then down down down crawl back up and down year,

I think alot of people have had a hard go of things,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

I'm a transgender woman now.

I started out wearing skirts a couple of years ago, and I never had anything bad happened to me or my wife when out in public.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Okay, I have been very quiet for quite a while, for a number of reasons. There isn't much to say when you are just sitting in the house working on a laptop. yes I am wearing my favourite skater skirt, loose, comfy, stretchy, no pockets, kind of wayward in a strong breeze but supremely comfortable. I regularly check out the new posts, however I don't tend to read many these days, I have absolutely no interest in female shirts, shoes, tights and fashion shows, or very short skirts. Take all those out of the equation and there isn't often anything else to read or comment on that hasn't been covered many times before. I haven't even bought a skirt for months now.
I'm bugg***d if I can think of anything to say about skirts at the moment, oh, apart from trying to work on a 50 degree slope, clearing trees at the back of my house is way more interesting in a long skirt! Nope, no pictures, too much of a pain trying to get pictures squeezed small enough to stick onto this forum, I know it can be done, I have posted in pics and looks, I just can't be bothered with the rigmarole these days.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Gotcha beat, B&B. We're up on a 53deg. slope here...if you're standing on the Equator, that is.! Curiously enough English canals tend to be on the level :D

My laptop will resize any pic. itself by asking me to define the dimensions of the resized pic. E.G. my average camera pic has about 12-15K pixels and a dimension of 6000 X 4000. When I resize down to 1200 X 800 the 'size' tends to be around 230Kb, good for posting on the Forum and big enough to be viewable. No hassle.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Kirbstone wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:52 pm Gotcha beat, B&B. We're up on a 53deg. slope here...if you're standing on the Equator, that is.! Curiously enough English canals tend to be on the level :D

My laptop will resize any pic. itself by asking me to define the dimensions of the resized pic. E.G. my average camera pic has about 12-15K pixels and a dimension of 6000 X 4000. When I resize down to 1200 X 800 the 'size' tends to be around 230Kb, good for posting on the Forum and big enough to be viewable. No hassle.

Tom
Hi Tom,
I have done it, I remember a degree of trial and error, reducing the resolution and quality until I got it down to whatever the limit is. I have been having too many problems with all things picture related, thanks to the various "helpful" Windows tools that have found their own different places to hide pictures in the PC. I am thoroughly sick of "friendly" names for folders because it always finds somewhere on the SSD boot drive to bury pictures in. Last year I decided I had suffered all I could stand with Windows being helpful and tried letting Amazon photos sort the collection out. Then had to spend a lot of time clearing off the SSD which Amazon had filled with shadow copies. Eventually, with the help of google I found out how to change the shadow folder and stop it caching everything. Then deleted the two or three copies of the folder tree it created. So now the collection is on Amazon photos cloud thingy. However, when I plug the iPhone or iPad in, Windows takes over and files the pictures away somewhere else, buggered if I know where! iTunes doesn't do pictures anymore. When I plug my Canon DSLR in things do not work at all and the Canon software won't run on Win 10 and my DSLR is too old for the current Canon software tools. I can still stick the CF card into my pc and manually poke those pictures into wherever, which means Amazon photos so I can access them from whatever device I want to.
Add the faff of getting them onto the cafe? I would need a dose of enthusiasm and probably a stiff drink first!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Many on here say, "it is simple" and list a bunch of acronyms, programs, processes and steps -- I've given it a shot three times now; failed three times --I figure I'm "out" by the old 3 strikes rule. It truly should be simple and user friendly and without broadcasting your pics, location, etc. to the whole world instead of a member's only site. You have my empathy for whatever that may be worth!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah B&B, The stiff drink I'd recommend, but it won't/shouldn't interfere with or influence your Camera to Forum route. Try two fingers of Talisker/Oban/Dalwhinnie straight from the bottle, no burrn-wather.

For my sins I use a windows 10 laptop. I plug in my current Canon EOS 77D into the laptop input port and it plays a few notes, shortly followed by 'searching for pictures to import', followed by a grid with all the pics currently in the camera's chip, usually under monthly headings. Instead of importing every pic. from September I just click on those I haven't imported yet. Just today it clicked onto another month...October.

I then opt to import these into a file of my choice in the laptop itself without using any other deposit place (dropbox, for instance), so they go straight into 'pictures' or 'Holidays' or whatever. Then they're immediately available for editing, cropping or resizing. Once they get below 250 pixels, then Bob's your Uncle.....

Slainte! Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !