Hello and Happy Lockdown!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Geralt of London

Hello and Happy Lockdown!

Post by Geralt of London »

Well hello, I'm new here. Based near London. Joined a day or two ago.
This seems like a pretty good place! I even saw a discussion that touched on big P Politics ... mention the Dread Donald ... and somehow not to turn into a mahoosive mudslinging match. Good on you all, but really, civil discourse??? Interacting like grownups??? Is this even the Internet :D

Anyway I'm an occasional wearer of female-designated fashions. Not so much outside of the house cos I'm a big wuss and more easily embarrassed than some. I'm also a sewer. No, that's where poop goes. Sewist? Seamster? something like that. I think I saw a thread proposing a term for a male seamstress but I forget. Is it just me who instantly things of Terry Pratchett's Ladies of Negotiable Virtue when I see the word seamstress?

A favourite article I'd like to share perhaps relevant to some others here: https://goodmenproject.com/featured-con ... mmephobia/ ...
But hey, like most of you here I try hard not to be a victim... we just gotta get on with things in our own sweet way, right?

Looking forward to getting to know y'all
G
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello and Happy Lockdown!

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Geralt of London,

With a name like that I'd fully expect you to perform some function by appointment to Her Majesty, no less.

Having whiled away nigh-on a quarter of a Century in the UK, married a native girl, got a gaggle (a Pride?) of offsprings/grandchildren resident still in Brexitshire I am familiar with your plight.

Take heart, for sartorial salvation is at hand. Just read on. There are a lot of more interesting contributors here than me......
Btw., Re: Seamster?? The tailor of Gloucester was a Tailor of course.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Geralt of London » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:41 pm

Well hello, I'm new here. Based near London. Joined a day or two ago.
This seems like a pretty good place! I even saw a discussion that touched on big P Politics ... mention the Dread Donald ... and somehow not to turn into a mahoosive mudslinging match. Good on you all, but really, civil discourse??? Interacting like grownups??? Is this even the Internet :D

Anyway I'm an occasional wearer of female-designated fashions. Not so much outside of the house cos I'm a big wuss and more easily embarrassed than some.
A hearty welcome from another chap who is rather new to this site. I wasn't sure why I joined, but the depth of the conversations without bombast on a multitude of topics has indeed been a pleasure -- as you say -- very un-internet or twitter like. Perhaps it is a reflection of Femmephobia -- the bunch of us have lost our "man-cards" for the crime of wearing skirts, or frills, or pink.... and apparently lost our inherent male need of vulgar name calling -- but we ain't lost our balls, to as Sister Mary in Sound of Music so aptly put it, to call a spade a '******* shovel' (I quote the actual dialog) when appropriate. I find views on all sides of many issues here, but discussed with introspection, respect, and evaluation -- so join right in. Your link is a good one.

You may also garner some courage (male or otherwise) from the many here who too were once on the 'wuss' path but discovered there is no need for embarrassment. Instead there is fulfillment, fun and freedom to be had. Many of the guys you meet on street may still be caught up in the hegemonic masculinity your article speaks to--but it is doubtful they will more than muster a disdainful look; and some may even become a bit more enlightened. The ladies will pretty much uniformly appreciate your support.

Got some "Oz" in there too ---"good on you"?

Welcome from Ticolandia (Costa Rica)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Welcome to one of the best Internet forums I have ever seen. Yes we do have some wild and weird conversations here and for the most part they are all very well mannered.
I have been wearing skirts now for over 6 years and do so every day and every where I go. I do not think I even own a pair of britches any more. So join in where ever you want and don't be shy!! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, Geralt! You should have plenty of time to enjoy wearing your skirts indoors these days, unless you work in healthcare. Once you're used to wearing them indoors, you won't want to get changed to go out. Take the plunge and step outside - you'll be glad you did!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

Geralt of London wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:41 pm Is it just me who instantly things of Terry Pratchett's Ladies of Negotiable Virtue when I see the word seamstress?
No .. i always think that too

Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably priced love and a Hard boiled egg.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome Geralt. I've been wearing skirts for several years and enjoy every skirted minute although MOH probably doesn't. As for the rather heated exchanges at times, well, do you know any family that doesn't have occasional disagreements. Some are rather touchy on certain subjects but we have moderators that do an excellent job in getting the fire hoses out and dousing the flames. Considering the number of posts that must exist on this site by now the hot spots must be few. Have a scout around and you'll fond many words of wisdom and wit. A sense of humour is a requisite. The more you contribute the more you'll get out of it.

As for venturing out of doors it's very much a non-event. Most don't notice or care. There are much more outlandish sights out there than a man in a dress or skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Hello from S W Cornwall.Another of those men in skirts for many years .
We still have not worked out how we came to have that inclination.

My advice to you is to just carve your own way foward in life as no one really cares.
I would be interested in your observations on this Virus Lockdown..
Worth looking at to see our observations and opinions.
If you have any comments or questions ,start your own thread...
You will get some interesting information.
Weeladdie18
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Another from London! Welcome to the site, a great article, thanks for posting it. We all have various tastes with fashion here, but all are welcome. 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

Hi Geralt,

Welcome, like yourself I'm pretty new here and also a complete wuss, lol but I have to say after reading comments on here and seeing pictures my own confidence is growing , have a great time here mate, love your happy attitude
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Geralt of London

Post by Geralt of London »

Hey everybody thanks all for the welcome!

I see I'm going to have to sort myself out with the classic knee length denim number, possibly with a pair of combat boots for my first foray :) I like flared / pleated as a look, not so into slim fitting. have to see what I can find.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Hello Geralt

Although a member of this forum my infrequent login, last time was 7 months ago, I do not think I have the authority to say welcome to the forum. What I will say is pleased to meet yet another man in a skirt and hope this forum gives you more confidence and encouragement but from your intro post sounds like you are more than on the way.

I do walk in skirts, most of my amateur building hobby, not my one day a week garden for clients due practical reasons but unless their is a reason that trousers are the item then in all other aspects of life I will always have a skirt on including doctors, hospitals, even as a patient, dentists, restaurants etc. Skirts hang in my wardrobe, the odd trousers under the bed! When I first went public in 2011 it was very odd, strange and yes self conscious but as time goes by the easier it gets and not to long it becomes like having a cup of tea/coffee or pint for those that prefer. The secret is to ignore those that are looking at you especially those you think are looking at you. If you have confidence in yourself, that confidence passes to others. I live in a very rural and conservative area. Yes some do not agree with it, some do not speak to me but that happens when I am a man in trousers and to the vast majority of us for a variety of reasons. Nobody is perfect in the eyes of another. Many in my area do talk and interact with me including farmers, builders and gamekeepers. I also find the same when not in my own locality as I confident with myself and interact just as others do. If they don't want to, that's their choice. You cannot be friends and liked by everybody and that applies to all for a variety of reasons. Be you, others are.

I find getting out and about in the real world in skirts is the best way to be seen, acknowledged and respected than on social media and I do spend most of my time in the real world promoting men in skirts, mostly in silence but providing the presence. I do not ignore social media as that is yet another opening but meeting someone behind a screen is not the same as meeting someone in person and dispelling any preconceived thoughts of a man in a skirt unlike for women in trousers.

After today may be a while before I return to SkirtCafe but one never knows. I keep saying I will pop back more frequently but...

Keep wearing that skirt and good luck with taking it further.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
floatingmetal

Post by floatingmetal »

Welcome from another based in/near London depending on how you define it. As others have said, get out there and be confident, people will largely not notice, or care if they do, especially with a mask on.
New-in-Skirts

Post by New-in-Skirts »

Welcome enjoy the site and have a good time.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Hello, Garalt of London! :D