New guy from Ohio

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Newtothis

New guy from Ohio

Post by Newtothis »

New guy here. I have lurked about a month. I have since been reading about this and decided to join the movement. I raised the local thrift store here and got a khaki mini, a olive green mini and two stretchy minis one in black and one in navy. I also just ordered a bright red kilt from some company that I am not sure if I can name here. Only concern I have is that the website said it was in Kansas but it is now shipping from Pakistan? Seems strange to me. I can't wait till summer to start wearing these. I will basically just dress the same but replace my cargo shorts with skirts. If this ever catches on I think a cool masculine looking dress would be next. I am actually decent with a sewing machine. So I also will be making some stuff.
Adam
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New guy from Ohio

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, newtothis! Congratulations on buying such a collection of skirts already! I reckon you should go for it as soon as the weather is warm enough.

Don't worry about your kilt coming from Pakistan, most of your other clothes probably do anyway. I have a couple which were made in Pakistan, and they are fine.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Newtothis,

Alastair is right, most of the clothes on offer relatively cheap are made in the far East, Pakistan accounting for a high percentage. Beware however of their interpretation of 'inches'. Pakistani inches seem to come up short of imperial measurement, as do Chinese/Korean, so anything from AliExpress that isn't elasticated tends to be small indeed.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Newtothis

Post by Newtothis »

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. The place I ordered from makes them to order with your measurements. So hopefully the size won't be an issue. I am also going to do a few pants conversions we will see how that works out.
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

Welcome to the cafe from the southwest side of the state
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Newtothis wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:21 pm New guy here. I have lurked about a month. I have since been reading about this and decided to join the movement. I raised the local thrift store here and got a khaki mini, a olive green mini and two stretchy minis one in black and one in navy. I also just ordered a bright red kilt from some company that I am not sure if I can name here. Only concern I have is that the website said it was in Kansas but it is now shipping from Pakistan? Seems strange to me. I can't wait till summer to start wearing these. I will basically just dress the same but replace my cargo shorts with skirts. If this ever catches on I think a cool masculine looking dress would be next. I am actually decent with a sewing machine. So I also will be making some stuff.
Adam
I've accidentally met 2 kilt makers from other parts of the world now living in Canada. What they had in common was the other parts of the world they came from are also both former parts of the British Empire. Here they mostly make kilts for schools and bands. Pakistan is a former part of the Empire and like India isn't getting rid of that heritage any time soon. I'd not be wary of a kilt just because it was made there.

Welcome to the Cafe. Would love to see any cool masculine dress design you come up with.
Daryl...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Welcome to the cafe. Thrift shops are a good option for buying skirts because there is oftens a good choice of styles and not just what is the latest fashion (very limiting with skirts) ........ and the price is right. Kilts are another thing ........ something I know little about.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Newtothis

Post by Newtothis »

The kilt came in. It is a very decent kilt as far as I can tell. The buckles seem a little on the flimsy side but the pleates and stitching are good. I tried it on right away. I think it is a tad snug. That is just motivation to lose a few pounds before summer. I definitely like the increased mobility of the kilt over the few stretch skirts and especially the restricted movement of the jean skirt. The kilt is quite a bit airy. It literally don't hug my legs like the others and feels more like I am wearing nothing at all. This is definitely something new of a sensation. I can't wait for summer. The other day I wore white compression leggings and a pair of bright red athletic shorts over them. I was driving back to Ohio from Florida. Only one guy at a rest area was laughing when he looked at me. I am not sure if he was laughing at me or not but noone else even cared the whole trip. If it was warmer I would have been skirted :)
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Welcome!

My experience with kilts from Pakistan is a lower quality and not matching the picture online, not fitment issues.

Thrift stores are great places. Ebay can be good if they list measurements. I don't have a lot of time to peruse through stores in person, so I use eBay a lot.

Kilts are great in a surprising variety of weather. With tall warm socks, and they can be warmer than pants. The material they are made from makes a big difference, too. The other great thing is, the more you move while wearing it, the more airflow you get. That air cools you off and regulates temperature better than shorts or pants ever will.

If you get some tall socks to go with the kilt, or just find a long, heavy weight skirt, you can start in the winter time. I just wore a kilt to a friend's place for dinner yesterday, without even breaking out the tall socks...
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Welcome, it's always exciting to get a new member :bounce:

I have have half a dozen kilts that I bought either in the charity shop or on eBay. Without exception they are all tighter fit than other garments that are supposed to be the same size. My take on it is that they are not trying to flatter you you by making it looser than it should be. I have many garments the I ought not really be able to fit into. My waist is definitely bigger than what my Jean size tells me. Kilts seem to be more exact. I am not sure if anyone else is of a similar opinion.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

SkirtsDad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:37 am Welcome, it's always exciting to get a new member :bounce:

I have have half a dozen kilts that I bought either in the charity shop or on eBay. Without exception they are all tighter fit than other garments that are supposed to be the same size. My take on it is that they are not trying to flatter you you by making it looser than it should be. I have many garments the I ought not really be able to fit into. My waist is definitely bigger than what my Jean size tells me. Kilts seem to be more exact. I am not sure if anyone else is of a similar opinion.
A lot of places tell you to measure actual inches, and not to go off of jeans sizes. I find the difference is usually about two inches. Utilikilts used to mark both the actual inches (kilt size) and pants size.
Newtothis

Post by Newtothis »

Yes I had to measure the actual inches and send it to them. It is an exact fit just on the snug side. The stitching is actually good quality it is the buckle hardware that seems poor quality to me. As far a cold weather wearing. There are alot of guys wearing athletic shorts even though it is 32 degrees here. I think they are kinda crazy but whatever works for them. If I wore a skirt or this bright red kilt I bought I would definitely stand out in the crowd. That is still probably the hurdle I need to get over. I don't care what people think honestly it would be more of the confrontation for me.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Everyone is wary of confrontation, so you're completely normal in feeling that way. But the good news is that nobody ever gets any. There's the occasional remark to ignore, but they are so rare that you shouldn't let the risk of them put you off. I've only had one in 8 years. I'm only counting remarks made to me, not ones made between other people. As my confidence grew I stopped caring about them, then I stopped noticing them. Whatever skirt you wear, you're going to stand out. You just have to take your courage in both hands and step outside. Try somewhere a distance from home first, it's easier because nobody will know you. And don't wait till summer, get some long socks!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Welcome!

Don't worry about anyone confronting you; I haven't heard anyone relate such a thing happening to them.

Do yourself a favor. First, get used to being in a skirt. Wear in the house a few times, then the backyard (if you have privacy fencing). Then for late night strolls on deserted streets, etc. Confidence, or at least the appearance thereof is key. Dresses are my default clothing choice and if anything people treat me better than they used to. I feel it's because I am more at ease with myself.

Good luck,

David
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome to the café

I am not familiar with kilts but if you are looking for skirts you can find an unlimited choice on amazon. If you are looking for dresses try "venus" and also steinmart. just click the name and they should come up

Again welcome to the cafe