Greetings from the Shenandoah Valley!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
KiltedintheValley

Greetings from the Shenandoah Valley!

Post by KiltedintheValley »

Hello all! I live in the beautiful (but conservative) Shenandoah Valley. I have been wearing kilts out and about off and on since 2006 (I own 6 :D ). I have a strong desire to expand my wardrobe to include knee-length and maxi skirts (preferably in denim). I hope to find some good ideas and support!
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
Uncle Al

Re: Greetings from the Shenandoah Valley!

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:
You'll find many like minded people here so, grab a cup & pull up a chair.
The conversation is wonderful :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

KiltedintheValley wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:15 am Hello all! I live in the beautiful (but conservative) Shenandoah Valley. I have been wearing kilts out and about off and on since 2006 (I own 6 :D ). I have a strong desire to expand my wardrobe to include knee-length and maxi skirts (preferably in denim). I hope to find some good ideas and support!
Welcome. The Shenandoah Valley IS beautiful. I used to get there from time to time when I lived in the DC suburbs. More recently, one of my sons went to EMU in Harrisonburg for his master's degree.

I started wearing skirts with ones that didn't look much different from my shorts, both denim and khaki. Many didn't notice. If you wear shorts, just get skirts that look almost the same. The maxi length is obvious to everyone from a distance, so it took me a while to start wearing them.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

HEY ANOTHER WESTERN VIRGINIAN!

YAY!

Born and raised Bedford County VA here... currently live just east of Abingdon off of exit 14 (I81).

I've worn skirts all up around your locale just last year... Charlottesville, Covington, Natural Bridge, etc.

It ain't so bad.... pretty easy actually. Just be genuine and people won't bother you.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, KiltedintheValley!

Six kilts make a fair sized collection. But move on to denim skirts and you may find that they outnumber the kilts pretty quickly!

Knee length denim is a fine place to start. Choose one that is wide enough that it doesn't restrict your stride, and step outside. Many people won't notice, and almost all those who do notice won't care. Some people well actually approve of your choice.

Once I tried skirts, I found I preferred not having all those pleats to bother about. Then I invested in a couple of longer ones, and I liked the way they move around me. You could have a great voyage of discovery ahead!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Welcome from me as well, KiltedintheValley.
skirtyscot wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:12 pmSix kilts make a fair sized collection. But move on to denim skirts and you may find that they outnumber the kilts pretty quickly!
Indeed you'll likely find this true -- and it will only get magnified if you start to branch out from denim (only but one of a myriad of fabrics out there, many of which are vastly more satisfying to the hand, legs, and eye). Kilts tend to be pretty rigid when it comes to shape, form, and dimension: not so skirts. Skirts come in all manner of lengths from stuff that'll possibly get one arrested to ones that take practise in learning to walk in or the length. Couple length with the choices in fabrics and one has almost an infinitude of options.

First-hand experience is rife here with everything from micro-skirts to floor-sweepers with hoops, and in lots of different fabrics. If you can't find a post that answers a question, feel free to ask!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!