A time to say hello

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
New-in-Skirts

A time to say hello

Post by New-in-Skirts »

I've been lurking in and out of here on occasion and finally decided it was time to become part of this forum of like mind folk and say hello.

I've had this thing for many years about wanting to wear girls or women's clothes. Thinking back to my high school when skirts were the norm and my college days skirts weren't the norm but many girls did wear them. The ones that I like, if my memory serves me right, were those plaid skirts with the big pin in them or pleated skirts.

I had a wife who was, so to speak, straight laced, some of which I think had to do with her being born and raised on the farm. Yes a farm girl which wasn't all that bad. Anything out of the norm was taboo. We moved away and at least 2 or 3 times a year she would go with the kids to visit her mother in Iowa, we were in Wisconsin at the time, usually for a weekend but at least once for a week. She had a wrap around skirt which tied in the front. On those weekly trips of hers I would find this skirt, if she didn't take it, and wear it around the house on my day or days off.

At one time I tried cross dressing but this just wasn't me. I was too male acting and found trying to be feminine impossible, some can pull it off I couldn't. The thought of wearing skirts was still strong, something I wanted to do whether i wanted to wear in the public was another thing. I lost my wife about 5 years ago and decided this was the time to let myself be me. I got several skirts which I would wear around the house a few times a week changing in to shorts or jeans before going out on errands shopping etc. Then I found this forum and as I stated above, started lurking and reading about what others were doing. After reading I decided if others could so could I. I've started out with the proverbial baby steps, just quickly going here and going there. Then I needed to back trips to my mothers who ended in a nursing home. At my age of 70 plus at 10.5 to 11 hr drive gets to be a long day. So I break this up by leaving in the afternoon, driving 5.5 hrs and staying over night. The first part of this drive, on several occasions, I have done skirted. Stopping for gas, something to eat and restroom break. The next day I go in shorts because I stop at the nursing home to see my mother and would rather not have her see me in a skirt.

I have not fully gone out in the city where I live, probably self-conscious more than anything, not wanting to run into some one I might know. I guess all I need is the encouragement, or the willingness on my part, to let this happen. As for wearing a skirt I find a certain amount of freedom in doing so, not restrained if that is the right way of saying it when wearing pants. Something I recall reading some years back that the male anatomy was more conducive for wearing skirts than pants and it was just the opposite for women.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A time to say hello

Post by Freedomforall »

Welcome. We are changing people's perceptions one town at a time.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Welcome to skirt cafe. Do you still have any of your wife's skirts? My wife has some I'd wear.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome, NiS. I am sorry you were bereaved five years ago. I suppose when that happens one then probably has the freedom to dress how one likes, e.g. loaf about in skirts.
It seems also that quite a high proportion of contributors here live alone and enjoy just that freedom. Your honest account of traveling great distances to visit your Mother and not wanting to be skirted in her company made cogent reading. I love to travel skirted, but I'm in my own little private capsule and exposures to strangers' gazes are brief and well away from home (gas stations &c.), but having a large dynasty ( MOH, 4 offsprings, 8 grandchildren) I have kept my skirting to myself and change into trews/shorts before joining any of them.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
New-in-Skirts

Post by New-in-Skirts »

Jim wrote:Welcome to skirt cafe. Do you still have any of your wife's skirts? My wife has some I'd wear.
I don't I gave all her things to my church rummage sale a few years ago. Besides she was smaller than me about 5'1" so not much of her things would fit me that well. She wore about a 10 or 12 petite and I go about a women's 18 or 20 depending on style and cut including brand. Most of what I have is from Christopher and James.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Come and enjoy the benefits of shirting and discuss them here.
Again Welcome!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote::welcome:

Again Welcome!!
Did I miss a turn and have ended up at ShirtCafé?

It must be the heat ....
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome to the café. Quite a few members are in their 70"s . You just have to relax and wear your skirts where you are comfortable. Running simple errands is the best way to start . Take a car trip a couple of towns away than stop for gas lottery tickets. late at night. :welcome:

Any service time. We have our arguments here . I guess sometimes I am the cause of some of the problems . But I never forget how helpful the Café has been.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

beachlion wrote:
Again Welcome!!
It must be the heat ....
no it was just the fat finger problem! I should have read it again!! :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
beachlion wrote:
Again Welcome!!
It must be the heat ....
no it was just the fat finger problem! I should have read it again!! :D
You are not the only one with that problem.

I'm glad you remembered to put the "r" in. It could have been worse.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Dear New-in-skirts -
Welcome and sorry about my belated welcome.
Here's hoping your skirt wearing is going well.
I have been fortunate to acquire one of my mother-in-law's skirts. She is quite a 'masculine' and large lady. Not huge, and in fact we share the same waist size so her waistband fits me well. The skirt is lined and comfortable for me to wear.
A real pleasure.
I wish you fun too.
Hillary.
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Hello New in Skirts , Much of what you say rings true with us , as many are in the over 70's group and take each day as it comes.
The matter of feeling safe in a certain type of skirt and feeling safe in any region is a matter of personal confidence and experience .
Even after years of skirting , I sometimes have my doubts concerning my chosen outfit before I leave home,
so I change garments until I am satisfied with my rig.

Once I am satisfied with my outfit , I am comfortable and confident for the day ....
Out on the street , It is just a matter of being polite to folks and enjoying chatting to them regarding the ways of the World.

One of my friends reported that he was asked why I dressed in an unusual manner. His response was that they are all like that where I come from .....L.O.L.